how soon did u tell your employer?

edited May 2011 in First Trimester
Just in need of advice, I didnt want to tell my employer till I was 12wks, I am now 9wks. Been off work for the last 1 week due to bad cramping! How soon did anyone feel like they had to tell their employer?

Comments

• I told mine around 12 weeks after I had my first ultrasound and after we knew everyone close to us knew.

They have been really supportive and helpful so I'm glad I told them early, I work at a hospital as a nurse assistant so its very physically demanding.
  • Also you could also just tell your supervisor and ask them not to tell yet but just say you wanted to explain why you've been out.
  • I Found out I was preg. At only 3w I had my first doc. Ap. At 4w. I'm not one to keep secrets very well and my boss asked me at 5w why I had been so cheerful. So I told her! I think if your already missing wrk for it they probably need to know why. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
  • I told at like 8 weeks and I'm a hair dresser, they made my life hell for 2 weeks till I quit
  • I told mine about 6-8 wks. But I work at a very small town credit union. He would of found one way or another. And I rather him hear it from me!
  • I told my employer at 17 weeks because i had an appointment for ultrasound n couldn't get out of work so i had to spill the beans...n now she thinks it happened so fast (im 27 weeks now)....the perks arent much different then before but she did give me mothers day off lol
  • @kenzie0713 I'm a hairdresser too! Srry to hear about that they should not have been able to do that to you.I've been working with the same group of girls 4yrs.so we are all like family.
  • Think I will have to tell them when I go back just a bit worried about them keeping it confident as I feel trust is a big issue where I work!!
  • I Just started a new job, so I'm nervous about when exactly to tell. I'm 17 weeks but am not showing yet. Yesterday I had to excuse myself to use the bathroom at least 5 times smh lol
  • I would tell them now because you wouldn't want them to think youre slacking off the job and start cutting your hrs
  • edited May 2011
    I just started working today would be my first day I told them yesterday cause if something happens they wouldn't be able to say that I didnt warn them I'm 14wks,1day
  • I think it depends on how "close" you are. My boss was my friends before I took the job, and we rode the same vanpool so talked alot and were close, helped him get through loss of his wife the year before, stuff like that. I told him and no one else before we heard the heartbeat. But I knew he is is a supportive boss and a family man first. I would not have told my last boss until I was about this far along or I had to.
  • I am a train driver so for that reason alone I think I will tell them when I go back and ask for complete confidence!! Thanks for advice guys, this app is so helpful :)
  • I told my manager at 4wks when he asked me to pull a heavy pallet.
  • I gave my boss a proof of pregnancy letter when I was around 7 or 8 weeks; right after my first appointment. But my job was all about lots and lots of heavy lifting.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I work at Petsmart, and my job unfortunately involves climbing ladders to catch fish and dealing with cleaning chemicals. I have told my immediate manager so she understands if I'm slacking because I'm not feeling well, or if I don't want to clean stuff because of the chemicals, and taking frequent bathroom breaks. There have been a couple other pregnant girls before me and they got treated terribly. The managers would give them shit for going to the bathroom so much and needing help carrying heavy things. I've been putting off telling them because I don't want to go through that. I wish I could just quit, but I want to work there as long as I can, because after the baby's born I'm gonna be a stay at home mom.
  • I told mine when i found out because my job involves a lot of physical activity and lifting so if I said I couldn't do something he would understand. Plus I'm the only person who knew how to do my job so I told him so somebody else could come down and train with me so I had somebody to cover me when I am out for dr's appointments and those horrible morning sickness days.
  • What's a proof of pregnancy letter? Like you just tell them ur pregnant or actually show them paperwork?
  • I told mine once we knew everything was ok on the ultrasounds... it was around 17 weeks.
  • @singlemama- I'm 17wks also. I'm suppose to start working next week. I'm not showing at all yet. I don't really wanna tell them either :/ not yet anyway.
  • At my work, it is part of dress code to wear your shirt tucked in with a belt on. This obviously wasn't gonna work the whole pregnancy. I never told them, but eventually got too big to wear a belt, and a shirt tucked in to maternity pants looks pretty silly... One day I just went in to work with no belt on and my shirt untucked. They didn't say anything about it, so I assumed they just had it figured out haha. The reason I didn't tell them is because I didn't want them to just assume I was going to be the typical useless "damsel in distress" pregnant lady and start cutting my hours. I wanted them to see that I could still work and wouldn't milk the whole pregnancy, if you know what I mean. But now that I look back on it, I should have just told them earlier. They'd have been understanding. And in your case, if you're having some issues, then you should definitely tell them, so they don't assume you're just being a bad employee and will be a little more understanding if you need to just take it easy.
  • But on that note, (not saying you will) try not to take advantage of being pregnant too. There was a girl at my work who was pregnant before me and she was always complaining about EVERYTHING and was always sitting down all day and always calling in to work for morning sickness and things like that. That's what I meant about milking it. I mean ya, you shouldn't lift heavy things or over work yourself, but It's people like that that make employers not want to have pregnant people working for them.
  • Well I'm lucky to have a desk job, but I swear I fell asleep at my desk yesterday lol. Whats sad is that I share an office and my officemate was having a meeting in our office with someone else at the time, but I could not keep my eyes open. Probably because I'm up at this time of night on pregly lol, but I'm only up right now because I literally just woke up puking smh, 2nd time i've done so my whole pregnancy :O! I realize that only happens when I eat too much. Must slow down.
    @prettymommy my mom told me that since I already have the job, its not like they can fire you for being pregnant, but I'd still rather wait a while, at least one more month or two. My stomach is starting to grow, was just looking in the mirror at myself, but since I sit at a desk and don't have to tuck my shirts in and can wear loose dresses if need be, I could probably attempt to pull it off for a lil while longer.
  • I told my managers as soon as i found out I was like 6 weeks. I only told them due to the fact that i had a m/c before and i needed to take it easy at work. Thankfully they understood and they took it easy on me
  • edited May 2011
    I just started working at my old job that I haven't been at in three years. I was about 19 weeks when she agreed to hire me and now I am 21 weeks. I haven't said anything to anyone because i know how they will treat me like I am disabled and I am not. But on their own many co workers have asked me if I am prego because I am starting to show...I tell them the truth but I don't flaunt it because thats not what im there to do, complain or talk about my pregnancy all the time. I work and do what im supposed to regardless of being pregnant. The only thing that sucks is having to go pee a lot bit I hold it until I get a chance to disappear for a second, run to the bathroom, take my 2 sec pee that feels like a full tank when its just two dribbles (lol) and run back out.
  • I told my boss last wk it was hard for me bc she is intimidating to me but either way she was gonna find out when I got my family medical leave papers.. I'm 6wk 4days. I think u should tell ur employer since ur having difficulties in cramping so they will be aware of ur situation