Birthing classes

edited May 2011 in Giving birth
I was wondering if they are really necessary? Has anyone been to one n did u find it helpful? If u didnt take a class did u wish u had?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I really enjoyed mine. It helped my husband understand the process more, gave me breathing techniques and gave us our hospital tour. :)
  • i found it helpful wehn the gave the hospital tour but thats about it! oh and i loved the freebies they gave us
  • @mommyoftwoprincesses were your classes long? How far along were u when u took the class?
  • @proudmommy8789 yayy I love freebies! That just motivated me more lol
  • edited May 2011
    I was 34 weeks when I took the class and where im from they offer you a 8 week package of 1 hour evening classes every week for 8 weeks, but my husband works nights so we chose the Sunday package where we went for a whole sunday we got there at 8am and left at 5pm but we also had a 1 hour lunch break at noon, so it was 8 hours all in one day :) and at the end we got tons of freebies too :D
  • Im planning on birthing natural but I have to be in a hospital with a doc I prolly wont meet beforehand not my ideal situation so im taking bradley method classes to help me be confident and know all the techniques to ease pain and to teach my hubby how to coach me. I haven't started yet but I think they'll be great. I think there necessary depending on your situation on how you feel
  • @mommyoftwoprincesses the hospital where im delivering also has a familiar package, I think ill b doing the whole day class also, just get it out the way all at once, thnx for your info, im gonna wait also till im 30+ wks, I am 23 wks now
  • We really liked the all day thing, we got it done in one day and it was pretty fun. :) yes I would wait until 30+ weeks too otherwise you will forget so many things before you actually go into labor. Lol. Congrats hun!! And good luck with your pregnancy!
  • @diverwfe how far along r u? Im going to sign up for a class, I could use all the help :)
  • I've had a labor doula with each of my births and part of the fees include a labor class. The classes with my doula were worth every penny. The hospital freebie classes were worthless in my opinion. (Could have just been the hospital I went to)
  • @mommyoftwoprincesses thanks :) n thnx for the good info, yes I will wait cause I forget EVERYTHING these days lol
  • You're welcome hun :) and I know what you mean!! Lol same here.
  • It wasn't worth it to me I didn't use any of it
  • I've been taking a labor class an although a lot of the information is really elementary and common sense, i've still enjoyed taking them and find them worth every penny/second of my time. not that they were that expensive. anyway.... it is just nice to meet and hang with other first time parents and really cool to have someone to ask questions to. i feel much more prepared.
  • I just went and signed us up for ours its a 5 week class once a week we had the option to to an all day Saturday class but i really hate wasting the whole saterday that and its going to be nice to get. Some time with him during the week i also signed us up for a basic baby class more for him could he's never been around babies I'm 27w and the class starts when I'm 30w and i get them all for free at the hospital ill be having alanah in
  • oh, and my labor class wasn't about all the cheesy lamaz (sp?) stuff, that nobody really uses anymore. it was more about what to expect and stuff. and a whole part on pain intervention and whatnot.
  • @letysfirst im 19 wks with my first I needs alot of help too I wanted to go to a birthing center but id have to switch my insurance and I just missed the cutoff soo militaty hospital it is but the upside the military offers all these classes for way cheaper so im just gonna do what I can too make it work
  • @ihanafi yes I think it will b common sense stuff but like u said, I think it will b nice to interact with other first timmers n ask n hear a lot of questions
  • @hupe23_1 my bd is good with babies n kids, I just need him to come with me to birth classes so he can be prepared n not freak out in the delivering room lol
  • edited May 2011
    Mine doesn't want to go at all so i told him if he didn't then he gets to wait in the waiting room while my sister gets to go in cuz she more then happy to go with me lol he changed his mind after he argued saying i couldn't do that lol then realize its up to me hhaha