!!!!!!!!!!!DILEMMA!!!! PLEASE ADVISE ME!!!!!!!!!!!

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
The best friend of my husband and I past away on Tuesday and the funeral is a week from today. It is 20 hours away from where we live. We have a two year old son and I almost 36 weeks. Our plan was to drive out there as I won't fly this far along. I have a doctors appt this Tuesday and my doctor is doing group b strep test and checking my cervix. We are considering leaving that night as we know it will take us extra long to get there with a 2 year old and me 9 months prego. My husband and I are very worried as my first son was 3 weeks early. I can't imagine going into labor in the car up to 20 hours away. But at the same time it is hard to not go bc it was our best friend and we both have been crying off and on since Tuesday. What does everyone think? Is it a good idea to go or a bad idea? HONEST OPINIONS PLEASE!!!! :)

Comments

• Im confused. Your husband and best friend passed away?
  • That's hard... if your really stuck on your doctor I'd say stay home otherwise maybe look up hospitals that are on route to the funeral
  • O my.. that's awful I'm so sorry.. I think that your best friend would understand either way you decide if he/she could tell you.. its totally understandable if you don't but be careful if you do..
  • @karla_with_a_k I think she meant it was her and her husbands best friend...
  • I would not go hun:( I know that's gonna be hard to deal with but you and your family come first and as aweful as it seems its not going to bring the friend back into your lives.
  • Ohh ok.. thanks :) I got the preggo brain goin on
  • I am sorry that your husband and passed away. but this close to labor I wouldn't. It is healthier for you end thr baby. I know it would be hard for you not to go. If you do go have a delivery plan just in case. And an emergency kit. If all else fails and you do go into labor on the way call an ambulance to take you to the nearest hospital. Good luck. :)
  • I would consult your dr honestly... I am sorry for your loss and wish you the best with whatever you decide
  • I mean her husband sorry didn't read the correction.
  • I would think that as long as you are low risk it would be ok to go as long as you are not going thru any areas where there is no hospital for more than an hours drive. It mostly depends on your preferences. Are you ok with delivering at a diff hospital? Having the baby away from home where friends and family could not be present and would have to wait to see baby? Do you have a birthing plan you can take with you just in case? I say go with your heart, just make sure it is safe all the way around.
  • Whoa I musta misread at first I thought u said ur husband n ur bestfriend passed..whew..sorry for ur lost :( I wasnt worried about the car ride for u but more for ur grieving..funerals are stressful and upsetting n might cause stress on ur baby esp since uve been mourning already..thats a tough one but I know ur prolly ur husbands best support system so deep in ur heart u n I know u better go :/
  • @karla_w_a_k sorry i meant Our best friend
    r
  • oh and i am on medicaid so does anyone know how that would work if i went into labor in another state? We tried to call dhs today to ask but its saturday.
  • It should cover you
  • I think u can use ur medicaid card anywhere and they can bill medicaid..my younger sis had an abortion in nj n they said they would take her medicaid but delaware doesnt cover abortions so she had to pay outta pocket..im sure they wouldnt turn a pregger away
  • thanks @mandielynne and @mommabee13 i had no idea if it would only work in iowa, turning away a pregnant woman would be cruel

thank you ladies for all your advice! I will see what my cervix is up to on Tuesday and figure it out from there.
  • It depends on how your doing. I'd go as long as you feel up to it.