24 hour urine collection

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
Gah, I am soooo tired of doing these 24 hour urine collections. This is my fourth, checking for preeclampsia. And on mommas day too :(.

Anyone else hate these? Thankfully my husband decided that as a mother's day present, he's letting me call into work tomorrow so I don't have to carry the jug around at work. He's so sweet!

Also, I'm 36 weeks on Tuesday. Come on baby!

Comments

• I don't know what this is....
  • i just finished mines today boy was i annoyed last night
  • In a nutshell, they give you a giant jug, and you have to put all of your urine in a 24 hour peiod in it. The unfortunate part is it needs to be refrigerated... They test your urine for all sorts of proteins and chemicals. In my case testing for protein to check for preeclampsia.

I'm 36 weeks now and can't carry around an ice chest, so I'm staying home!
  • @EiralynnesMommy that's disgusting! Does everyone have to do this?
  • Lol good thing you don't have to take it to work! I hope the tests turn out good.
  • I had a few of them. Theyre a pain.
  • Not necessarily. Mainly if you are at higher risk, they may require. I'm sure high blood pressure, possibly diabetes as well. My doctor makes you leave a urine sample everytime I visit. Everyone has to do this. Then they test for protein while you are there. If it is positive, that's usually when you have to do a 24 hour
  • I just did one Thursday/Friday. I was tested because I'm swelling, throwing protien in my urine at doctor's office, and my bp has been hanging out at about 139/89 (High BP is anything over 140/90). I'm pretty sure I'm going to be diagnosed with Preeclampsia/Toxemia/PIH (whatever you wanna call it, it's all the same lol). Hopefully it just means my doctor wants to take my baby this week!! (By the way, I am almost 39 weeks so taking her will be a-okay ;) )
  • Yeah, I'm on meds for high blood pressure, that is why they're so concerned for me.
  • I had to do it for easter I was 12wks when I had to do it
  • I had to do one last week. I bought A cheap cooler and kept it on ice next to the toilet I wouldn't want to keep it in my refrigerator. Even if urine is considered sterile.