Is Baby Bedding Really Unnecessary?

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
So, I picked out the cutest baby bedding and at somewhere around $300 for the full set it isnt cheap either. Today I found out from my cousin and her friend that doctors reccomend that the only thing in a crib be the sheets for infants. Even bumpers are considered a suphocation (sp) hazzard. They also say that when babys start to pull themselve up in the crib they sometimes step on the bumpers, which can propel them over the crib. I had planned on getting a co-sleeper for the first 3mos or so but I figured i would still keep her crib cute and eventually she would sleep in her bedding. I cant imagine completely stripping her crib everytime she sleeps in it. I would just hate to spend that kind of money on bedding for show only.

Comments

• just take the excess stuff out when u put her in, I wrapped my kids for the first yr or so, works gr8, I also have breathable bumpers tge thick foam ones are illegal in australia no pillow either
  • I think if the bumpers and other crib set pieces were bad they would recall them all ...
  • edited May 2011
    I do know for sure they're not supposed to sleep with comforters or blankets in a crib as an infant because of suffocation hazzards and they still sell those.
  • Im skipping the bedding this time. Just cute sheets and a breathable bumper. I had with my daughter and ended up not using the bumper it came with because it was so hot that summer and didn't let the air flow in the crib didn't use comforter either.
  • The only thing I have for my crib is sheets. Cheapest and safest!
  • I used the blanket from my sons set as wall decor
  • They now sell breathable bumpers. I would return the whole.pack and buy just individually sheets, breathable.bumper.. and you will have tonssss of baby blankets..Plus I think the set was.too expensive... You wont get half of the.value when u want to sell it....(my opinion).
  • I like the bumpers b/c without them when baby starts rolling over and moving, they DO go against the rails and it prevents(imo) arms and legs getting stuck. As for them standing on the bumpers..well its not a big deal if you lower the mattress.
    Other than fitted sheet, amd a sheet/blanket the baby doesn't need anythig else for the first year, not even a pillow :)
    They say take the mobile out whenbthey start sitting up. My youngest was starting to stand and ripped it apart lol
  • This is why im glad for family and this forum. Looks like I may skip the bedding. My boyfriend thanks you ladies. Lol.
  • I only used a bedding set because it was a gift. I probably won't spend that much having to buy it myself.
  • I was against using the bumper until I walked in the room one night and my daughter had rolled around a lot. Both her legs were thru the crib from about mid thigh. I don't see how she wouldn't have gotten hurt had she tried to roll over in her sleep again that time. I tie it really tight and slide it up a little so there is still a gap between the bumper and mattress. She does step on it but her mattress is lowered all the way and she is really short. The rule my pedi gave me was to make sure the rail of her crib is NO lower than babies arm pit level
  • My nephew had a bumper in his crib and the first night he slept with it *we got custody when he was one* he was a toss and Turner. He ripped it off the bars and it ended up wrapped around him like a boa constrictor.
    For my son I wove ribbons around the bars. It was pretty and effective. I'll do the same with this one when the time comes
  • hold of on bedding.. and bumbers.. npt neccasary
  • I read somewhere that you can hang the bumper on a curtain rod so you have a cute, matching window treatment.

I originally registered for a bedding set, but after doing a little reading, I've taken it off my registry and I'm just getting fitted sheets. I've also registered for some swaddling gadgets to keep baby warm.
  • I just use a sheet and baby sleeping bags nothing else.
  • With my first he slept w everything and also a pillow. He wouldnt sleep without a pillow and yes I know that is bad. My second son was the same. I made sure everything was tucked in and nothing could get pulled over on them or caught in any thing. My boys never had a problem.
  • I wa advised by he pediatrician and the health department not to use bumpers or big comforters in the crib because the could cause baby to stop breathing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I bought a full crib set with my 1st son and never used anything but the sheets. And I just had my 5th son and still use nothing but the sheets. Big waste of money unless you just want to make the crib every morning to make it look pretty. I say spend the money on stuff for the baby like clothes diapers wipes stuff like that.
  • I had a full set with my first and plan on getting another with this baby. the bumpers keeps legs and arms from getting stuck between the bars when they learn how to roll over and as for the blanket i tuck it in and fold it so it only covers the baby half way, up to the belly, or keep it all tucked in nicely around the crib and lay the baby on top. I would hate to see a naked crib. just wish it werent so expensive : /
  • This is my first and I plan on using sheets with a breathable bumper (not as cute but not as dangerous either)
  • edited May 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mama_kat Thanks for that post and link. It was helpful. Ill probably just look into buying only certain peices of the set as opposed to the whole thing. It may even come out cheaper that way.