Circumcision after care (help)

edited May 2011 in Babies
My baby boy is 6 days old today and we had him circumcised 3 days ago. All the nurse told us to do was put vaseline jelly on gauze and put it on his penis for 24 hrs then the next 24 hrs put the vaseline jelly on the head of the penis. Thats all they told us.. My sisters told me that you need to clean it with water and a q tip. Idk whats right uf anyone could help. He doesnt have the plastibelt.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was never told to clean it with a q tip and never did. I just used the vaseline. Made sure when you put it on the head, you gently pull the skin back...so it heals properly. It's VERY easy to care for.
  • I got two boys n I never heard of the wipe or water and they actually healed faster than normal I just put vaseline ob the head if you use wipe it's just like using alcohol on a sore. Using water n q-tip is takin to long it leaves it more painful thats wat I think
  • @KerrideeRN @bri2186 @sands3 how long did you need to use the vaseline for? And the nurse said yellow like crusty discharge was normal do you know?
  • I was told with my son that if you felt like his penis is dirty to take a wet wash cloth and squeeze it out over the top of his penis. They said don't wipe just drip. I also never had to put vasseline on it. But he had a plastibell method used which is a little different than traditional circumcision
  • Wipes have alcohol in them. I would think that would burn. I know you def use vaseline.
  • I was told with my son that if you felt like his penis is dirty to take a wet wash cloth and squeeze it out over the top of his penis. They said don't wipe just drip. I also never had to put vasseline on it. But he had a plastibell method used which is a little different than traditional circumcision
  • I honestly don't remember how long I used the vaseline for. That was 3 yrs ago. Sorry
  • We were told only vaseline on our first son, and we did it for a week and at that point it looked completely healed.
  • We just squeezed neosporin right on the penis and were told to never touch it or clean it, it healed perfectly on its own just a few days later.