pulling the plug...not pregnancy related

edited May 2011 in Parenting
Preglys we have a friend who has had Muscular distrophy his whole life. Since Ive known him he's been quadripilegic, wheelchair bound, and had a feeding tube. But he was still mentally sharp. His momma has taken care of him his whole life (22years). Last week his breathing machine stopped. He went into a coma and they sent him to ICU. They did a CT scan last night and have determined that he is brain dead. They have told his momma to make arrangements and they are pulling the plug tomorrow. My husband and I are going out of town to see him tonight and spend time with his family. I'm wondering if any of you ladies who've gone through something similar have any advice to comfort his mother? Jason has been her life and this will be a drastic change for her losing her son.

Comments

• That's so sad. May God be with her and her son and family and friends. Lots of prayers for everyone. I have never lost a child and pray to God that I don't but I did lose a brother when he was 24 years old. Best advice is to just be there and listen. Give her a shoulder to cry on and please please don't say your sorry cause it really gets old hearing that.
  • Wow. That is extremely sad. I'll be praying for the family. I have no idea on how to comfort someone through a loss that big. Just be there for her if she needs anything.
  • Thx ladies!! The mothers name is Carole. @beautifulone @momof5
  • It sounds horrible but she might find some sort of relief in all if it! Pain and agony and all will be there but know she will know that her baby is no longer hurting which is every mothers goal, to stop their children's pain and suffering!
  • Lots of prayers for Carole. May God be there with her as her son is taken from this life here on earth to walk into the gates of Heaven. May she find peace and closure in knowing that he will be able to walk and do things on his own and no longer be in any pain.

I don't know how she feels about organ donation but we donated my brothers organs and found comfort in knowing that we took a bad situation and made it as best as we could by helping others that needed help. And when we got the paper back saying that they had used one of my brothers organs on an 8 year old child was one of the happiest yet saddest days of our lives. We know he will live on in others :)
  • Its important for her to have a group or counselor to talk to, or even a friend. Just take her lead. If she wants to talk then talk, if she just wants to sit, then just sit. She is losing her son, her "job" as caretaker, and her companion. I am so sorry for her and your loss. It is such a confusing time, the mix of relief knowing he is not inpain, but also sadness and lose. I grew up w/ a family that had 2 sons that were MD patients. They lived to be 16 and 18..both died in the same year. As a girl it was heartbreaking for me, and i was soo sad for their parents and sister. Especially after the second one passed. I remember it was really hard for Vicki (their mom) to even imagine life w/out their company and taking care of them. After about a year she went to work at our school, and is still a teachers aide today (21 yrs later). She was so sad though. I remember when the second son died i went to her house and she gave me a hug, and held on for a long time. She was just lost. But she had her daughter, so it helped.

Its a sad sad time and a terrible loss, but knowing she has people like you caring and loving her will help her. I pray for strength and peace to her as well as you.
  • Thank you all!! We've been at the hospital all day. Jason has gone on to Heaven. Carole couldn't watch them pull the plug so she went home and rested with one of her sisters. Jason was surrounded by family and friends when he died. As I visited him after he died. I felt like it would really honor his life to have white doves released at his funeral. We are going to suggest it to several of our friends and the family. I am praying that Carole is able to get away and rest for a while. It is comforting to know he is painfree and living in freedom in heaven now!