C section mothers please help

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
I am supposed to have one Monday and I want to be prepared. My doc said that she would not plave the baby on my upper chest bc it would make me unsterile...then what's the point of the wall? Should I try for a dif doc bc this is important to me I want the babys first smell to be me...not a nurse. What should I put in my birth plan any suggestions...and please know this is my first child...I'm scared and nervous. Any advice helps!

Comments

• Why are you having the c section?
  • He is breech and will not turn. I'm 39 weeks on Monday and he is 7lb 14oz and I have low amniotic fluid.
  • Oh. Well with the low amniotic fluid it can cause problems. I had low amniotic fluid and severe pre eclampsia. They should me my son but couldn't lay him on me. They had to check him in the nicu and make sure i was stable before i could hold him.
  • Ive had 2 csec. Yea I don't think they can. One of the down falls. Have you heard of someone getting that request?
  • Yes I read a lot of stuff bc I am so scared and there were woman that got that request granted. She said something about the baby being sterile so I don't see the problem and I don't need to touch him. The nurse can hold him. He's a healthy baby so far and its unfair I can't have something that important granted. Almost makes me want to just do a home water birth alone even though he is breech. I don't see why we have to suffer because our babies are breech. I've heard that sometimes they won't even breastfeed afterwards. I'm already depressed and if things don't go well...I already know ill be even more depressed and its already hard for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Have you asked of the nurse can bring him to ur face so u can have him that close to you before they take him and clean him up? Would you be comfortable with that idea? I have had 2 c sections and haven't been able to have them on my chest
  • I don't see how having him on my upper chest would effect my lower pelvic area even if I am split open though. I just feel I have no choice and I chose to do a spinal even though I'm terrified of needles and being awake so I can have immediate contact...or else I will just go ahead and be put under bc there is no point anyways. I would agree to anything that would give me ANY skin to skin contact with my baby. Even just having him near or touching my face.
  • Both my babies were sections. I didn't get to hold them right away but the nurse brought them wrapped in a blanket once the cord was cut so I could kiss them. You can't really hold them being hooked up to iv's and all the monitors, but kissing them was just as good.
  • First off why all caps? Secondly I said ALMOST...its what I originally wanted...but obviously I know its dangerous. The only way to do breech birth is if I go to canada...don't have that money to travel unfortunately. I don't see the point in talking to a dr about depression...all they will do is put me on some kind of drug...which won't help.
  • First off why all caps? Secondly I said ALMOST...its what I originally wanted...but obviously I know its dangerous. The only way to do breech birth is if I go to canada...don't have that money to travel unfortunately. I don't see the point in talking to a dr about depression...all they will do is put me on some kind of drug...which won't help.
  • edited May 2011
    Whoooooa I don't know why that posted 3 times! <.<;;
  • I just had my son may 3 bc I had preeclampsia and he was head diwn but he wouldnt turn his head he was grinding it on my pelvic bone. I was on magnesuim so they couldnt lay him on my chest but I got to kiss him before he left to nicu.i dont see why they wont lay him on you at least.
  • I just want skin to skin contact. Both of us are healthy and I don't see why not either. I understand the sterile thing but then what's the point of the sterile wall and everything else. Its just stupid.
  • With both mine the sterile divider was just under my boobs. Do there really isn't enough room they would have to lay him under your chin. Plus the doctors and nurses need to be more focused on closing you up. I got to kiss and snuggled my babies and they got my smell just fine.
  • What is a sterile divider? This will be.my 3rd c sec never heard of that?

• The curtain that they put up between you and the or staff.. keeps everything below your boobs sterile and safe
  • That's exactly what they always want to do is put you on anti depressants.
  • Do you have to have a cathider(sp)?
  • Ok maybe others csections are different but for my first my arms were splayed out and couldn't exactly move them, the second my husband said he held my hands...it's a health AND saftey issue..you've got that whole body numbing thing going on. If nobody will ne with you you can ask the nurse to bring tje baby to your face. Keep in mind tou will still be flat on your back.
    I don't want you thinking I'm 'attacking' you but not having immediate skin to skin is NOT going to affect the bond with your child or breastfeeding.
  • My arms were also "strapped" down. They did bring my son over so I could see him, but no, you will not be able to hold your baby on your chest.
  • @rachelmt 21 yes you have to have a catheter. But as soon as yoyr able to get up and fo to the bathroom they will take it out.
  • I just had a c section may 1st. I don't remember there being that much room between my face and the drape. During the surgery the last thing on your mind will be laying the baby on your chest. I saw blood shooting out onto my curtain and the doc asking for a clamp over and over. It all goes by so fast and its scary. I felt like having my baby checked out first was the most important thing. Hearing her cry was such a relief.