Need good (non offensive) excuse to leave a chain smoking family members home

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
My cousins baby shower is today. Its at her moms house and they chain smoke horribly. Its even worse when they have functions there because other people smoke too. My bf and mom don't want me to go but its my cousin and she's alway been there for me. I was thinking of making an appearance and leaving but I can't think of an excuse that justifies me bailing on my cousin. I don't want to tell the truth because I love my aunt and don't want to hurt her feeling.

Comments

• Other then telling them the truth, I guess you could tell them you are notfeeling well. I have the same thing that goes on in my family, and I have told them that the reason I do not come around is because they all smoke and I don't want to be around it. I understand that you don't want to hurt any one's feelings and that it is your aunt's house, but you shouln't have to suffer because they choose to smoke....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've been really sensitive to the smell of smoke. Just tell them you're feeling queasy & you don't want to ruin the party by getting sick so you're excusing yourself. They really shouldn't be chain smoking at a baby shower though right? The guest of honor is pregnant! That's kinda rude :-(
  • tell them that you are having trouble breathing since baby is in your lungs and with smoke in the air it would just be ten times harder. but tell her that you will make it up to her by taking her to lunch or something!
  • Yea I would say I getting sock too!!! That one always works...
  • If u guys are that close they really should understand..no better excuse then the health of ur baby..I think
  • I find it hard to believe that your poor cousin would want to have her baby shower at someone's house that would be filled with smoke. Or that the people throwing the shower would not have the common sense not to smoke around the expectant mother that they are celebrating, let alone knowing that there will be at least one other pregnant woman there. I would either go with the truth or with @lil_buggie_3 said and say that you are not feeling well.
  • Anyway u can stay outside during the shower. Seriously cigarette smoke makes me sick while preggo... I'm a smoker when not preggo... I don't smoke in my house though. I would just tell them the smell makes u sick...
  • It was supposed to be cookout style but its raining here so I'm sure it will be indoors. My cousin doesn't smoke but she's been around it her whole life. I think she's immune. They all are. That's why its no big deal to them to smoke like that at a baby shower.

I think I will use the I'm not feeling well excuse. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Guess I was so worried about offending them. Thanks ladies.
  • @mommys1stbundle, don't be on Facebook checking in at the mall or the nail salon after you leave either lol! Remember, you're sick!!! ;-)