water births? anyone opting for one?

edited May 2011 in October 2011
I'm starting to think of the methods. I'm considering the water birth. Has anyone gone thru it or choosing it and why? Is it beneficial?

Comments

• i was thinking of haveing one but still aint sure having got long to decide now either i really need to think about it
  • Water birth works for a lot of moms, I spent some time in the tub, but didn't feel comfortable, so I didn't have her in the tub. Give it a try, if it doesn't work for you, that's ok. The water was really relaxing, though, and I felt better when I got out of the tub because I had been sweating, and liked feeling clean down there.
  • @4senough that's what I read. Some want to just stay there for a little bit then get up and have the baby in a bed. I think after 30+ years of them doing it, it should be safe and relaxing.
  • I was told water births can cause infection. Lots of hospitals wont do them but u can get inthe tub for a bit. I don't know though
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I love the idea of water birth, but can't stand getting pruney...it freaks me out (im weird I know)
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate yay. Where have you been I love hearing from you. Your so educated and its awesome to hear your pov
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate yay. Where have you been I love hearing from you. Your so educated and its awesome to hear your pov
  • My sister is going to have one with her next child. She says that the water is calming and it really helps with the pain. I personally don't think I could do one. I have seen them on tv and the husband is in the water too and I just really think it is gross. The thought of sitting in all the fluid and everything just really grosses me out. But I can see how it would be beneficial for mother and baby and if I could get passed the yuckiness I would probably do one.
  • @headersue lol the father doesn't have to.be in. I will choose for him to be outside and behind me. I have to talk to my doctor to find out if he or one in the practice will do water birthing. Then write out my birthplan. But that will be in like september. I'm due October 31st. So we will see.
  • we plan on a water birth at a birth center. it's important to me that I have an as natural a birth experience as possible, and my midwife said that most water births require no additional pain relief.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate oh how exciting. I'm just hoping the doctor will do it and the hospital provides it. @mrslainez that sounds like the way to go but I'm willing for the extra drugs if need be. Whatever the doctor says is my game. I don't have a close mind when it comes to possibly changing things. My thing is its about my comfortability and what doctor says. Not anyone else's. My bd seems to think there could be more risks. But there are risks in every type of pregnancy.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate not saying he thinks there are more risks. But he googled one thing and it said the baby can get an infection. Or breath in their poop but the babies don't breathe until they hit oxygen. In other words he is the type that needs to hear it from the doctor. Which now is fine, in the end if doctors ok with it and that's what I choose. It's my decision. It's not even time for me to start a birthplan, I just like talking about those things. But he has never heard of that so he can talk to my doctor. I'm fine with that. I'm not due till Halloween so I have time to decide.
  • I went in the tub 2 or 3 times w my last...it was where I was most relaxed (til my epi) but I was still in a lot of pain. Most hospitals won't allow it so u have to consider if u r willing to not b at a hospital. For me, bed is best lol. If the water relieved more pain, maybe but I discovered sitting forward helped the most-I had more back labor w her than I did w my boys