Phone call telling me to come get my daughter!?!? Need help. (really long)

edited May 2011 in Pregnant
Okay, so where to begin?
I was in a major car accident, I lost my job, apartment etc..
And after my 5 year old's father took me to court (after he found out), I lost her too.
Since I couldn't financially or physically provide for her at the time.
I have tried being apart of her life, I have 1st 3rd 5th weekend visitation and holidays.
But him and his family have refused to let me see or speak to her.
They even moved and changed their phone numbers.
So, my husband gets a text at the dinner table a few nights ago saying to call my daughters grandmother.
I do, and i'm told that the father failed a drug test with CPS, so now the grandmother has power of attorney.
If she wouldn't have taken power of attorney they would have put my daughter in foster care. WTF, why was I not informed?!? Oh because he tells everyone including her school he has FULL custody, but he doesn't.
He also moved 3 hours away to be close to his new probation office since he received his second DWI. He is not even allowed to be around my daughter unsupervised and isn't allowed in the apartment complex the grandmother and my daughter are living in.
She told me she has tried to tell his PO and CPS he is using synthetic cocaine but they won't do anything.
She basically said she can't raise my daughter and I need to come get her. Now the thought of this makes me jump for joy.
I seriously have been crying my eyes out because I can't believe this is really happening. But I have a court order in place...
What if he says I kidnapped her or something? I don't know what to do, or even who to speak to. I cannot afford an attorney. I can't afford to be in jail either. She says she will put in writing that she is giving her over to me.. but told me the father thinks shes just going with me for summer vacation because she doesn't want any drama.
We just put 20k down on a house, and now i'm upset because if I would have known this it would have went to a lawyer.
but I figured, if I have a house and car and good job and go back to court, then maybe the judge wouldn't be such a f'n prick this time. (he really was a prick) I was hit by a drunk driver and broke both my legs and arm, WTF am I suppose to do? He is one of them "fathers rights" advocates. Even my lawyer at the time warned me about him.
I don't know what to do. I feel like I have to go get her. If him and his mother don't want to take care of her, then i'm her mom I should be the one to step up and do it right? Even if there is a court order? I don't even know where to go speak to a judge about this or what paperwork to file. any words of advice or wisdom? Please?

Comments

• Is there not like a legal aid thing were you could ring up and get advice over phone sounds a good thing her signing a letter if she has his rights passed to her, its a hard one, i would just ring up your old lawyers ask for a lil bit of advice? hope everything turns out ok good luck sorry not much help
  • @samiuk Thank you. I guess I can call and get a free consultation and see what a lawyer says. Since im married and working I dont qualify for legal aid.. I tried that before and they werent any help. I just wish I would have known all of this was going on..
  • Okay, I'm no attorney, but here's my advice: Call one, describe your situation, & get some counsel. Most attorneys will give you a free consultation & you can learn a LOT during that one session. Get one fast & don't make a move until you speak with one. Also, if the grandmother has power of attorney & is willing to sign papers giving you custodial rights, make sure those papers are signed in front of an attorney, or at the very least, notarized. No court should ever award your daughter to a father who now has a criminal record & drug abuse history. He shouldn't be able to have the right to accuse you of parental kidnapping when his own criminal activity made him lose his daughter to begin with. But laws are different state to state, & upheld in differing ways from judge to judge.

I will say with certainty that the courts failed you. He shouldn't have even been allowed to move & change his number without informing you first. And as the birth mother with partial custody, YOU should have been the first person notified & offered full custody, instead of his grandmother stepping in. That's absurd & appalling, & I would ask an attorney if you can do something about that, too. Your rights were circumvented. That should never happen.

So, call an attorney, get yourself a free consultation, & go from there. Maybe you can get one to allow you to make payments, or is there a relative/ friend who could loan you the retainer fee? Look at all your options. Do whatever it takes to get your child back! I wish you the best of luck! :)
  • Forgot to tag you, @luvbump! :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The peice if paper means absolutely nothing too the judge hunny u need too ring the police or courts and tell them whats happened they will advise u whats best hunny
  • @artistmamma
    I think the judge was totally unfair.
    But the way they made it out to be was at the time I was a single mom with no job, car, living with my mom etc.
    So I accepted it and found out later he lied about everything in court.. saying he had a house car and job.
    He made himself out to be a great father, which he isn't.
    And this just goes to show it, he left my daughter with a woman who is disabled and a nutcase.. the grandmother is in need of alot of surgeries that she can't get because she has to take care of my daughter now. That's why the grandmother told me to come get her, because she physically and financially cannot take care of my daughter. She gets SSI every month and foodstamps. He left her over 3 months ago and hasn't provided anything for her.
    I wonder if that would be considered child abandonment? I called and found out the CPS caseworkers info. I talked to her, and thats when she told me that he said he had full custody of her.. thats why they never called me.
    The courts don't know he moved or changed his number, he didn't inform them, I was told by them that they cannot even serve him with any warning papers because they don't have his address.
    I also thought about this.. I do get her for summer vacation.. and in the court order it says he has to pick her up.. but he can't if the grandmother isn't there. If she doesn't show up, then I would be going against CPS. Also, how would I return her to him, if he has never given me an address?
  • @mummytuube I thought about that too. I would at least get the papers notarized with the grandmother acknowledging that the father has left the child in her care for 3 months, and has not been around or provided for the child. That she cannot provide for the child and is releasing the child to me. At least if he tried to say I kidnapped her, I would have proof that I didn't just take her... the person who has power of attorney felt it was in the best interest of the child to be with her mother.
  • @lil_buggie_3 I already have all the rights he does, as far as school and medical go... but I cannot designate where she lives.. thats the only difference.. and the biggest problem. I'm excited about seeing her. I haven't seen her since Christmas.. and I get to go to her pre-k graduation. =)
  • I'm actually wondering if he will even come get her..
    I mean, he left me when I was pregnant bc his drugs were more important.
    The only reason he EVER wanted to be apart of her life was bc his ex wife pushed him to.
    I tried to get him involved and he never would.
    The last time I saw her we were laying in bed watching TV and she looked over and put her hand on my cheek.. I looked at her and she asked me in such a quiet voice if I loved her and I said "Of course I love you". Then she asked "Why doesn't my daddy?" I told her that he did and She looked down and said My daddy doesn't want me, and then looked up at me and asked me if I did.
    It was the saddest thing I have ever heard in my life and I felt like a failure, my own daughter didn't know how much I loved her. How much my heart aches without her.I feel like she was ripped away from me and her brother and sister. The worst part is, I made a promise to her the last time I saw her when they picked her up from my apartment, that I would come pick her up and we would go see her Uncle and ride the ponies. And then they moved. I am absolutely heart broken because I broke my promise and I am so scared she feels like I don't want her or abandoned her. Not being able to see or even speak to your child is the worst feeling in the world.
  • Aw well i guess but someone iknow signed a peice of paper too say she gave the grandmother rights coz she couldnt cope but when she felt she could cope she took the little boy from school and the grandmother went too social services and they tokd her she cant do nothing as it was a bit of paper not an actuall contract .. but its vice versa in ur case maybe ask the law if u should go get her and make them put on record u rang too ask that way they cant say its kidnap if u have spoke too the law
  • Or maybe ask if a police officer can be present while she signs the contract so ur ex cant say u forged it or anything x
  • You need to go to your local Supreme Court tomorrow morning and file an EMERGENCY court hearing! Go to the IN PRO PER Department for free legal aide. They provide walk-in free legal counselling and help you fill out paper work on the spot.
  • @mummytuube a notary is someone who has an official stamp and is basically a legal witness. If you have a document with a notarized signature, it holds up in court as a legal and official document. Some notaries will charge for their signature and witness, but if you have a friend who is officiated, you might get lucky and not have to pay.
  • Of course, they have to be an official and documented notary, not just someone with the notary stamp. Lol
  • If you have a bank account somewhere, they should provide free notary services to account holders. I hope you get your baby back for good! She needs her Momma.
  • edited May 2011
    Thank you to everyone who responded.

I decided..
    I cannot sit back and do nothing.
    I made a promise to God, my daughter, and myself that I would do my best to raise her.. And thats what I intend to do.
    I feel this is something I have to do.
    Whether I go to jail or not.. My baby needs me and what kind of a parent would I be to NOT be there? If they dont want her or cannot take care of her then I do and will.
    I talked to hubby before he left for work and he said we would find a way to get a lawyer.. This is going to be hard on us financially, but this is my child. I know he hates seeing me upset.. So i have to try and be positive.
    I'm going to do alot of praying.

Once again thank you preglys. I appreciate the advice and encouragement.
    I have not seen my daughter in 5 months.
    So even seeing her for a few seconds will be incredible.
  • Where I live there is this branch of famiky court, that is available for parents to call regarding custody issues, or child support things as well. The lady who runs it here is very informative when I had problems with my sons dad. It was free and I found out all of my legal rights and cleared it with her for my actions. Best of luck
  • Ohh right well i guess thats how it is in america dont u think everywhere should hav the same justice towards kids and babys .. over in England if ur bd done that he'd lose all custody and have supervised visits at a place called spurgeons .. hope the law see ur in the right
  • Wishing you all the best huni keep up updated :)
  • @luvbump: You're doing the right thing, hun. I wish I were a lawyer; I'd advise you for free! :)
    But getting yourself an attorney is the BEST thing you can do. He/she can take control of this issue, find out who f*cked up & where, & keep you protected while you get your daughter back & protect her! I'm due in early July with my first & only child - a little girl. If my baby's father ended our relationship & found a way to take her from me, I'd lose my mind. I am so sorry you're going through this. Please keep us updated, & if you need to vent, we're here for you! :D