sushi?

edited February 2011 in Pregnant
Ok ok ok...I get sushi is off limits typically but us anyone still indulging in cali rolls it other cooked options? A lot of Japanese and Chinese doctors that I worked with told me they eat sushi all the time when preggo its just a better of going to a reputable place...what yall think?

Comments

• I'm about to eat me some sushi. Depends on what you have.. Obviously nothing uncooked or raw. I normally have crab rolls or Cali roll or even shrimp roll. That all is okay but the salmon or tuna is off limits. -Enjoy, I know I'm about to. :)
  • I'm so craving salmon but will settle for cali...y do people n Japan get to eat it while preggo....whah :-( LOL
  • I eat sushi all the time, I just make sure the cooks know that I can't have anything raw and I double check everything is cooked. And yes it helps if you know that the place uses fresh seafood and keeps a clean kitchen.
  • I asked my OB because I am a sushi fan! She said cooked sushi is fine, try to stay away from tuna and big fish (such as shark and sword fish) and limit seafood to 1-2 meals a week. I'm sticking to the cooked shrimp and vegi rolls. Can't go wrong with those!! :) go to your favorite sushi joint and get your usual roll somketimes they will steam the meat or replace the type of fish for you! I could not imagine giving up sushi for 9 months!
  • I have been craving sushi so bad too! Thanks ladies that's good to know!
  • Is smoked salmon ok
  • Billye910...yes its fine! As long as its fully cooked.
  • Billye910...yes its fine! As long as its fully cooked.
  • Sorry stupid android! :p
  • Gahh. All I want in life is some sushi right now. :p
  • I ate sushi my whole first trimester (didn't know I was preggers) but eel avacado roll and shrimp tempura is good and cooked. I did snatch just 1 of my fiances Philadelphia rolls :/ but I told my mom to bring me sushi after I deliver lol :) I wanted sushi and sashimi the day I was headed to the Dr and found out I was pregnant...I was so excited though I didn't care lol
  • @billye910 no smoked salmon, Its not technically cooked...found that out:(
  • Hmph lol.....I just want fresh salmon sashimi sooo bad....LOL
  • I LOVE salmon. Sashimi and on the Philadelphia roll
  • The reason thevJapanese can eat it while preggers is bc they have iron stomachs for it so to speak. The same reason French women drink wine their whole pregnancies. :)
  • I read that salmon is ok, tuna is not. Very sad, I love tuna. Fatty tuna. Mmmmmm

Do some googling, it will give you more specific questions for the doctor. I have my appointment next Tuesday. I'm going to have a list for that poor midwife. And if she gives me the ok, I am going to get lots of cooked stuff and maybe one piece of salmon sushi.
  • So hypothetically speaking if u were to eat raw sushi and feel fine then ur n the clear? Meaning in the event u got i then ud kno u had a problem or can u eat the raw sushi...feel fine and still contracted something
  • Lol that's what I did. But I had sushi every weekend basically my whole first trimester, but I have a place I can trust, and my baby was as healthy as a....sea horse lol.
  • Your conscience may get you. Everyone at work thought I was crazy for not eating lunch meat so I got something from quiznos but my conscience got to me and I couldn't eat it. But didn't effect him. and if you would get the bacteria there is antibiotics for it
  • I read that as long you know and trust the place it should be ok as long as you avoid the high mercury fish. Just don't hit the random street vendor that may not have the best standards of cleanliness and skill. And to trust your nose. If it smells fishy (in a bad way), don't eat it.

I also read that most fish served in the US is flash frozen, which kills the bacteria and parasites. I'm not clear if that is a standard or optional, though. So most bacteria in sushi is from cross contamination.

I'm broke until pay day anyway, which is conveniently after my appointment. So i'll just ask.
  • Ooh u gave me hope...gonna ask my doc tomorrow if snow allows me to go
  • All the post are making me hungry for sushi lol ! :)
  • I had tuna shashimi. I'm okay, & so is my bb. :)
  • I craved sushi badly in the beginning of my pregnancy! I'm 32 weeks now but to be on the safe side I just avoided it altogether. I just don't trust sushi places enough lol and my baby's health is more important. I'll just have to wait till after I deliver:-)
  • I live by the best sushi place outside of Seattle and I cheated and had some raw sushi. I figured if Japanese and Norwegian women do it (I'm part Norwegian. Not Japanese tho) then I should be ok. Plus the sushi place has a high reputation for being so great, that I really doubt they would serve anything bad.
  • @VictoriaB what place is that?
  • That's what I'm thinking....I've never gotten sick before....gonna talk to doc either way and see what he says....worth a shot....I mean some really sketchy places might have made a bad name for sushi....
  • If you breast feed can you eat it? I sure freaking hope so.
  • That's what I think, billye.
  • I do kno u can breasted and eat sushi