Limit is 3 c-sections?! Really??? :(

edited May 2011 in Second pregnancy
DH and I have always planned on having 4 children. I went to my 16 week OB appt yesterday and my OB discussed my birth plan options for baby #2. I had an emergency c-section with my daughter, so my options are VBAC or c-section.

I immediately said I'd like a c-section...I did not have a great birthing experienc with my daughter. 3 failed inductions was too much for me and very traumatic. She agreed a c-section was the best choice for me, but she said I could only have 3...crushing our dream of 4 kiddos :( Has anyone been told this before?

Comments

• I have a friend who was in a similar situation. It depends on the doctor, I've heard some do up to 7. She ended up switching doctors.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I may have to switch :( She also told me if I have 2 sections in a row, there's no chance for a VBAC after that. So this one would have to be a VBAC if we wanted to ensure more than 3. Is that true?
  • @homebirthadvocate oh....so, there would be no induction with a VBAC :) I thought if there was a chance I'd have to be induced again, there was no way I would try a VBAC. Hnmmmm....that may have just changed my mind about a c-section again! :)
  • edited May 2011
    @praying4our3rd and @homebirthadvocate I'm a little worried about recovery with a c-section now that I have a toddler running around. It took me about 3-4 weeks before I was able to move around with out pain following my c section. My MIL had 3 sections and she thought she recovered faster than her friends that had a vaginal delivery. My Mom had 3 vaginal, no meds, at home births and said she recovered faster. I don't know which is better for recovery. What do you think?
  • edited May 2011
    I had a csection and a vbac and after my vbac by the time they rolled me to my room I wanted to get out of bed and shower. I felt great. Not so with my cs I was in bed until the following day and when they picked me to help me out of bed I fainted.
  • well how old is ur youngest why not try vbac. wut week were u wen they tried the fist induction
  • This is my third. I had a vaginal delivery for my first and a c section for my 2nd. This will be my third and I'm going to try for a vbac. I'm excited and ready for it. Csection was miserable. Plus natural (vaginal) birth is better for baby and mom. U can still take pain meds but it is not recommended that u get induced. Plus there is always a chance that they might have to do a c section anyway. And I want 4 kids as well. Good luck!
  • Look at 19 kids n counting tht lady had more then 3 lol
  • Well, I think I've changed my mind :) I'm going to call my Doc today since she was trying to get me a date on the OR schedule this week.

My daughter will be 20, almost 21 months when baby #2 arrives. I remember being so envious of my friends that had vaginal deliveries :( they were out and about just a couple days after coming home. I'm looking forward to that this time around :) You ladies are the best! Thank you for your advice!
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate my mums friend had the condition where the placenta grows threw the uterus wall with her second pregnancy. Her first was a normal vaginal delivery. Just to let you know it doesn't only happen to people who have had c-sections!!
  • I have had 3 c-sections and having baby #4 the same way. I was unable to vbac and told by several doctors I wont be able to ever go naturally. Something to do with my pelvic bone and the size of babies I have.
    I agree trying for a vbac is best...however I disagree that a mom who has cs can't bond with baby for hours. My first two were that way...but both were taken to nicu. First one because I was in labor so long and she got stressed had a bowel movement and swallowed some of it. 2nd one came early cause I was very sick had emergency cs and she had a fever at birth. My 3rd I was back in roomwithin 30min holding and nursing. My first cs took me a couple of hours before I was able to get up and walk around but that was because of the stadol(SP)...I was up in an 1.5 with 2nd and 1 hour with first. I was able to work this out with my doctor beforehand just like a birthing plan for a vag delivery. So, instead of scaring mom's who don't have a choice or making us feel bad that we can't go naturally, maybe find a better way to express your feelings or thoughts on it.
    Also, I know someone who had the condition of the placenta growing through on 3 pregnancy with 2 prior vag births...so not quite true about only happening to mom's who have multiple sections. And I would like to point out that every delivery is different, and while you might go in with a birthing plan, things happen no matter what kind of delivery you have. It's just a part of it!
  • I would like to say that I am not trying to offend anyone...I just get really tired of some people on here making mom's who have to have c-sections feel bad or scare those new mom's who are scheduled for one. Sorry if I seemed rude!
  • Here is my thoughts....though there may be risks to your body or the babies...if the baby gets in there its gotta come out one way or the other, right. Vbac or c-sec the child will get out. It's just ur choice if u want the risk. I personally wouldn't let what one Dr says or prefer choice my family size or path in life.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate I am not angry...and maybe if you were able to go back and re-read through the comments as a mom who doesn't have a choice on what type of delivery they have to have, you would see where I am coming from. And this is not the only post it that several pro-natural birth mom's have made c-sections out to be the devil;-) Like I said maybe not so much in this post...and I thought that you all made some very valid points...but other ftm and ones who have had multiple sections will read this and some of it could be upsetting to them. Does that make sense?
  • I would try the vbac hun. If baby won't come that way then they can do csec. Not all labors are the same. I had a rough 8 hour labor with my first baby. The best 7 hour labor and 6 hour labor with my 2nd and 3rd and an amazing 3 hour labor with my 4th and a horrible 12 hour labor with my 5th. I was begging them to do a section and his heart rate dropped to 90 while pushing so both docs grabbed his little body and started pulling him out OMG it hurt. All vaginal and recovery was great. I was up and walking around right after each. Then I had my tubal done and they made a 3 inch cut right under my belly button and I couldn't move it was so painful. My heart goes out to those that have to get a section ugh I don't know how they handle the pain.
  • U can have more then 3 try talking to a different Dr. Some worry after complications after 3 but my friend has had 4 and wants another one :)
  • @homebirthadvocate my sister had that placenta thing happen to her with both children. They had no clue with baby #1 and nearly killed my sister trying to take the placenta out. They were prepared for the possibility with baby #2 so it wasn't as bad. She delivered both vaginally.
  • @mommyo3soon2b4 thanks for your comment. I have had 2 csections and reading some of this information kind of made me go "shit!"
    But what everyone else said IS food for thought. Definitely we should ALL do research instead of taking the Dr at their words
  • If you decide to do vbac and want meds go with the epi. Don't know if this is true with all hospitals but i was told if i did pain meds instead of epi my baby would have had to go to the nicu for a couple of hours after birth to be monitored.
  • @momof5: they cut you under your belly button for your tubal? My tubal will be laprascopic(sp?).
  • @mrs_shu I agree...some of what the others said is defintely food for thought. And while I agree that you should research everything about both kinds of delivery, I think that if you have trust issues or are not comfortable about any aspect with your doctor that you should find a new one. I have an amazing doctor that delivered 2 of my 3 and will be delivering this one as well. I am not scared to ask him anything and if he doesn't know the answer he will help me to research it. I could only wish that every woman could have the experience that I have had with this doctor.
  • What I don't understand and im not trying to bash anyone here is why anyone would elect to have a cesction. I understand people need them sometimes but I don't understand why people decide to get them when there's no need. My biggest fear of labor is having to have a csection that's major surgery. And all the research I've done about all types of delivery makes me want to avoid it. Then I see ppl planning on one just b/c they want it that way. I juts don't understand I gues.
  • @Diverwfe I don't understand that either. I didn't go into motherhood planning to have c-sections. I was in labor with my first for 3 days after being induced, pushed for 3.5 hours, before the nurse finally called the doctor in to use the vaccuum. I was 18 and petrified. He came in and went off on her because she let me go so long and it was clearly visible that there was no way I was going to be able to deliver without possibly killing myself and/or my daughter. I was prepped for a c-section and did great. I did not have a long recovery with any of my 3. After my son who weighed 9lb2oz and had a huge charlie brown head I decided I am very thankful for c-sections...but I miss out on getting to go into labor, and holding my baby right after delivery. And there are a lot of dangerous aspects to a c-section...however there are those with a natural delivery too. I think that all women have a right to make the decision on their own birthing plan, so I truly try not to judge. And I just try to make sure that people on here that don't have a choice get some moral support because it is super scary to have to have a c-section!