epidurals

edited January 2011 in Health
Just curious about getting an epidural! I want to try not to because I've heard it can mess up your spine. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Comments

• Well personally I think epidurals are great. The only thing was that I had back pain for a few months after I had my son. But during the birth I only felt contractions before I had it. And after that didn't feel a thing. : )
  • I had one an no problem after the 2nd try,, as long as u have a good doc then u will be fine
  • I've heard later in time during the cold weather your back hurts /:
    I'm gonna try to go with out it(:
  • My advice is to hope you don't need it, but keep open to the idea you may need one -so you're not crushed if it happens... I didn't want one with my daughter, but she was 9lbs 4oz & ended up being turned sideways & dislocating my tailbone. The epidural was a lifesaver & I was able to rest for a few hours & then deliver my daughter pain-free. And I never had any lingering back pain, either.
  • Does anyone know if it hurts? I'm REALLY scared of needles. But I know ill prob end up getting one :(
  • Mine took twenty mins bc he took his time but I didn't feel a thing. It was a very easy. I hope my second goes just as great !
  • The contractions hurt more then when they put the needle in. I felt 4 contractions and begged for the epidoral. And will do the same for this one :)
  • Speaking from experience..i feel pain from epidural still. Its not all the time..but if my hubby touches it right on..u can def feel it! It sends a chill up ur back. Kinda weird to describe..lol..but good luck to u!
  • Ah kinda scary. Hopefully ill be able to do it. Thanks :)
  • The guy had to do mine twice because the first one didn't work & it wasn't more than uncomfortable for me either time- the relief was definitely worth it for me, but I'm sure its different for everyone. I was scared of the needle, too, but I just didn't look at it & you can't see it when they do it anyway since its in your lower back.
  • I tried to go without with my first. Got to 8 cm and got one bc I was about to pass out from the pain. With my second I got one but it didn't take, I felt the whole thing.... Not as bad as I thought. I was up walking around 40 mins after she was born. With this one I'm not going to get one.
  • Hey guys is it true if you have tattoos on your back you can't have one?
  • No, I have one and I got epidurals
  • @mommy2be92 - the tattoo issue holds true depending on the size of it. I got an epi with my first but was told if my tattoo were any larger (I've got an infamous "tramp stamp") that I wouldn't have been able to get one...my epi also only worked on half of my body but even so I'd still get another bc I know how much better half of my body felt vs the other side lol
  • Hi im scared of the epidural too i previously have back pain and heard thay makes it worst so im really scared im gonna need it
  • edited January 2011
    My tattoo covers my lower back, up my spine to the middle of mt back, and they didn't say anything about that I still got one