washington moms

edited May 2011 in Military moms
Anyone live near Ft. Lewis Washington? I am moving there on the 1 of June.

Comments

• I live near ft.Lewis
  • I live in yakima, used to live by there moved a few years ago
  • @armywife88 how is the weather there?
  • I live in the tricities
  • It got to 77 today but u never know it could rsin again, it stays a lot hotter over here then it does in the Seattle area, I'm used to the hot weather 100° usually in moses lake that's where I'm from, where u moving from?
  • @lilloulou I am moving from Tennessee. Okay now I can handle that the weather here has been getting to 90. Just making sure what kind of clothes packed for the first few weeks. I acyuaalt grew up in Florida and Texas area so I am used to hot weather.
  • I live on ft lewis. I leave at the end of june though. You need lots and lots of rain clothes. It rains so much its depressing. Everyday thing. Id go buy a pair of rain boots. Sounds stupid but they keep your feet dry and everyone wears them here!
  • Lol well I live in rain boots and snow boots here in the winter so I am prepared shoe wise. Ugh rain that's on thing I really and not looking forward to. But I got to get used to it.
  • Lol its really hard to get use too. It seems like everyone here is just so pissed off because its just raining all the time. Its an unhappy state. Summers don't start here untill july.
  • @AliH Oh man... I am such a happy person in general always trying to cheer people up. July wow. July in Tennessee is like the worst part of summer. How hot does it get there? Then
  • Lol its not cheerfull here. If you want to do anything you have to learn to do it in the rain. I'm probably not helping you! Because I'm being a debbie downer. But I truley hate it here. It gets to about 70s and late 80s.
  • @AliH well summer temps sound amazing. At least your honest, I have had so many people tell me its wonderful . Never tell mmme anything bad. I am looking for both good and bad. I have heard it rains alot. Which m makes me think I will practically live inside my home all day every day.
  • :/

It's actually a very lovely place. We live in a rainforest, so yeah, it rains often. There are plants, trees, and animals everywhere. Any place you look, there's going to be something living there. It's May now and yes, it still rains, but lately its been sunny and about 60 degrees.

As for wearing rain boots 24/7, I've lived here my whole life and my husband has lived here on and off his whole life and both of us have never owned a pair of rain boots ever. In fact, I usually wear my old holey converse. You learn to avoid or walk through puddles without getting your feet wet. My husband has lived all over the country, even California, but Washington is still his favorite place. He was born in California, but considers Seattle his hometown.
  • That's still cold to me! I get cold a lot. That's why I don't like it here. I don't like the people here either. They're all hippies. I never leave my house. Ever. My husband picked our house before we came. I just had to trust him. Everything is expesive too. If you live off post id budget money to get a really nice apartment to be comfortable in. Don't settle for cheap. cheap is slums.
  • @VictoriaB if your from a place like texas. Where its hot and hospitality is nice, then you just won't like it here. Some people do and some people don't. Iiiii hate it.
  • Now that I think about it, winters are probably the real kicker here for someone who has never lived in a place like Washington. They can be long and gray. Sometimes annoyingly so. I can see how that's depressing, but its really nice this time of the year ;)
  • @alih
    lol at the hippie thing. Yeah, there's plenty of hippies. Personally, I love 'em. But I grew up here so I'm used to it :)

I've never been to Texas, but I have been to Arizona. My grandma just moved to Montana and she says the people there are more hospitable too.
  • @AliH I get to help pick were we live if its not on. Base. So it will be a good one. I want to be comfortable and safe if he goes overseas.

@VictoriaB winters I can handle Tennessee is a very gloomy place in winter. And after last years winter we had I am sure it'll be ok. I don't also don't like my feet being covered in tight shoes that's why I have my rain boots for snow and rain. I love the rain but all the time sounds like a downer. I am the type of person who likes to open up the front door and windows and let the sun shine in
  • @VictoriaB I grew up in southern oregon. Its only a state away yet its soo different from here. But I got cold when I went to hawaii and it was in the 80s. I wore a sweat shirt. I just need raging hotness. and I'm tired of being cold.
  • @AliH hippie doesn't bother me my husbands family is basically like that, glad me and my husband aren't like that but hey it suits so.e people. I also grew up in Florida so I can handle the un hospitality. But I will miss it after being in Tennessee for so long.

• @bradford2 it really rains everyday after summer is over. I swear. I didn't know what to do with myself. And the winter here is rain! It snowed like twice. When it snows though your husband won't have to go to work :) and please pick a safe nice place. Make it a luxury apartment! There's a fricken bullet hole in our bedroom window. Idk what my husband was thinking...
  • @alih
    I think personally I prefer being cold. You can bundle up if you're cold, but if its hot there's really nothing to be done. But I'm soooo used to this climate. When I went to England (its pretty much the same) I loved it. There were about 3 really sunny days that summer and most of the time it was overcast. Oh, I'm very pale and melanoma runs in my family, so I prefer to keep out of the sun anyway. I burn waaay too easy!
  • @AliH no work because of snow sounds nice. Oh yes I have found several of base apartments online I like they are gate and have 24 hour security
  • @VictoriaB skin cancer runs in my family too! I had moles removed. I'm a dark skinner german though. I never burn. We just catch too much sun working on the farms. I'm the whitest I've ever been here. :(
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah, bullet holes in windows is too ghetto! Yikes, and I though roaches were bad :( Well honestly, I see about 1 bug a week, but its still gross!

I'm a redhead, so I'm supposed to live in lowlight places I guess lol.
  • I live on McChord base, which is basically the same base as ft. Lewis since it's a joint base. I still haven't met anyone with kids around my age out here. Dude-hit me up asap!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Emmieken I am 20 how old are you and I am nervous leave tomorrow to head that way.

@mama0811 is nice that in Puyallup we are still waiting to find out if we can get on base
  • I'm about to turn 24 july 3rd. And I understand the nervousness. But the drive is so much fun up here! You will see tons of mountains, which I never really seen in person before moving here. And yes, Puyallup is really pretty.