Against naming my son after hubby..anyone else?

edited May 2011 in Baby names
Is anyone else against the idea of naming your son after your BD? Has anyone done this and end up regreting the decision? Why are u against it?

Comments

• I'm torn. I was for it but my bd isn't speaking to me and hasn't for almost two months. He isn't sure if he'll be there when the baby is born either so I don't know if I'm still willing to name my baby after him if its a boy but I feel like at this point I'll regret it either way. :\
  • im giving my son his middle name but i dont want my son being a jr lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We've decided no junior but we'll give him daddy's middle name as his middle name (william). That also happens to be bf's dad and grandfather's first names.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well.. if I were having a boy, he would have been named after my bf. But I don't like the name Steven for my kid, well cause my nephews dads name is also steven , we grew up with him and he turned into a dickhead after booger (neph) was born. But I do love my bf. So lets just say I'm glad I'm having a girl, so I didn't have to talk aboit it.
  • My son is a Jr. He likes it cause its daddys name
  • I am aganist it because I want my son to have his own identity. I'm just not fond of using the same name. My fiance wanted us to use his name but I refused. Besides my fiance has a common name, Kevin, and I wanted a more unique and not so common name. After months of discussing it we came to an agreement of choosing a different name.
  • If i was having a boy i would name him similar to his fathers name ( hubbys name is anthony i like antonio lol) its a good thing were not having a boy cause tony didnt like it at all lol
  • i never wanted to name my baby after his daddy because i want him to be his own person.. but aside from that i know a lot of ppl who have had problems with the dmv/ss office/other gov places because their name is soo common. it's kind of a problem because my SO wants the baby to have his name.. and i really don't.. it's kind of egocentric in my opinion..
  • @OregonMama I'm against it bcuz me & Hubby aren't married. He doesn't believe in marriage. & his name is too common. My kid would be John Paul Rodriguez the fourth! I think every kid is different & should have their own identity. & also bcuz he did not want our child in the beginning. We've been together 4.5yrs & always told me he wants me to have a baby. & he tried to get me to get an abortion bcuz he said a baby would be a mistake & ruin his life ;(
  • I've brought up the idea but he said no. He doesn't like his name but I thought it'd be cool since he's Victor and I'm Victoria :) lol
  • if its a boy my hubby wanted him to be named after him. Hubbys name is jerin so its unique but I didnt want to.. If its a boy I think we are going to name him vaughn. My maidan name was vaughan. Lol pronounced the same.
  • @clope18 my husband is actually against it. His name is Robert, we call him Rob and he hates it. So we are staying away from it.
  • I've seen serveral women name their sons after bd and then he leaves. If I wasn't married and my marriage wasn't stable then I couldn't do it.
  • I wouldn't mind giving my son his fathers name but my husband was against it. He says he doesn't wanna be a senior at 27. Makes him feel old. Haha.
  • I dont like my hubbys name for my baby bc its way to common ( Juan Francisco ) I call him frank, and he also doesnt like his name but want th o name our son after his Dad ( Raymundo ) and im sooo against it!

So we havent even talk about nameing our baby bc each time we bring the name subject is a fight! But I will end up winning lol.
  • @kristaf22 my boyfriends name is Scott also and if the baby is a boy he will be a Jr. But everyone one in the family has a nickname, so we are going to call him duece
  • My boyfriend is dead set on our son being named after him. I was against it at first. Timothy being too common of a name fore my likings. But, I feel this child is more for him. Seeing as how the whole baby situation is terrifying to me, something I ideally would have waited for but he's been waiting many, many years for. So I figure he can have this name, if we have another son one day I'll get my choice. :)
  • i feel that the child needs induviduality.. but thats me, i will never name a jr, II, III , etc. I will carry on middle names, but thats it.. You already have one. (john smith) in your life why have another.. (john smith jr)... lol :-D
  • I won't. Hed be the fourth so no thanks
  • I personally don't like jrs maybe possible a middle name but definitely not as a first
  • my first son is a jr this one has a different name
  • Hell no am sry his family told him he has too. I really don't want to so we will c
  • I was completely against it, so we agreed on giving him my husbands initals! He doesn't have a name that can have a nick name, his name is chadd.....annd I don't want my son called lil chadd forever!!
  • I refuse to name my son after my husband. For 1 I rather my son have his own unique name not be no 3rd to no1. For 2 my husband ain't been concerned about this pregnancy just keeps nagging me about his name including his family. For 3 ricky is not a name I like nd he doesn't even have a middle name lol nd lastly cus my husbands dad decided to make a comment on the name I picked my son will never get a job so I really refuse to name him after the both of them. Nd for a man to tell me bcus of a childs name he don't want nothin to do w/ him he really ain't gunna b no ricky the 3rd. (=
  • I'm against it too. My mom named my brother after his daddy and his dad turned out to be a pos and my brother has to carry his name around. I'm not saying my bd will be like that but it just takes all the fun out of picking out a name for baby
  • My mom regrets giving my brother my dads name. I wouldn't and didn't do it because I wanted my kids to be different. But I do see and understand why people do it. Either way boy or girl we their middle name will be after their grandparents.
  • I am SO against it... it's like letting your mother in law pick your baby's name. Yuck, no thanks!

Also, my sister's hubby is a 3rd... he has CONSTANT issues of people getting him confused with his dad and grandpa. They were even trying to hold him accountable for their financial mistakes. Years later and a million headaches later he finally got it under control. It's too confusing and not worth it. Let them have their own identity. You could always do the middle name after the daddy.
  • @1_mama_squared thank you! That was my point. My mother in law said to me weeks before we found out the sex "you know if Its a boy what his name will be, better get used to it now!" I was so upset! I thought of it as her naming my child too. Fortunately, I was smart enough to let bd know prior to learning the gender that I was not into having a "terd" (3rd) and he came up w a new name that I've grown to love :) he has the same middle name as daddy so basically bd won but so did I.