Type 2 Diabetes

edited May 2011 in Health
Ive got type 2 diagnosed in '05. I'm on metformin since '05. & also have pcos & hbp.which I started taking meds for. My A1c is usually under 6.0. Last one was 5.7 in Feb. I'm 21 wks. Gained 2 lvs. What I need to know is...what are sugars supposed to be while preg. My fasting #s are mostly in the mid- low 90s. My ob knows of my diabetes but never tests my sugar tho asks how they are. I tell him pretty good. & that's that. I took my sugars the other day 2 hrs after eatung it was 84. Should my ob be doing more? I go for ultrasounds every 2 wks & babys great! I go again Wed for another level 2. Should I ask any special questions?

Comments

• @headersue
    @ncoughlin08
    I guess I gotta check my sugars more. They do seem to be ok after I eat but tend to be kinda high in the am. I am seeing a high risk. But idk if he's doing everything he should be. I leave urine but haven't had blood draw in a few months. So 2 hrs after a meal it should be under 120.
    And fasting it should be under 95.
    I'm still on metformin but he said its ok & so did my regular dr. I just hope I don't need to give myself shots of insulin.
  • My sugar was 105 this am. Waiting 2 hrs to test again. Just ate.
  • My ob/ NP that is managing my diabetes (type 1) while pregnant wants my fasting to be no higher than 90 and after meals no higher than 120. I think I told you before that I check my blood sugar anywhere between 12 and 20 times a day but again I take insulin and we are really trying to fine tune things. With an a1c of 5.7, it sounds like you are doing well. I would think your ob would want you to test more now and do you a1c more but again I am used to type 1 protocol. Definitely let your ob know your concerns. Good luck.
  • I am 20wks and I was diagnosed with type 2 and pcos last year. I was on metformin til I was 13wks, but as I was progressing in my pregnancy the metformin was making me sicker. So I have been on insulin since then. I see my endocrinologist regularly... He pretty much handles all the diabetes stuff. I see a regular ob for monthly appts and a high risk for ultrasounds. My endocrin.. just gives me copies of my meter print outs to give my obs. They ask how my sugar is, but they never check it. As long as you're seeing someone for the diabetes, and you keep your numbers where they are, I wouldn't worry about the ob. :)
  • @one5one are you only seeing a regular OB? If so you should really be seeing a high risk doctor, it doesn't matter that you are controlled right now. Pregnancy can throw your sugars outta whack real fast! I was diagnosed is 2006 with Type II and I also have hbp. I see a high risk doctor and they monitor my sugars really closely, I fax them my numbers 2 times a week and they adjust me insulin as needed. I keep my sugars between 60-90 at all times. They also give me an u/s every time I go in and check the placenta to make sure there is no break down. I would really see about adding an endocrinologist or even a high risk ob.
  • @one5one sorry, I just saw that you mentioned me in this thread....I am 25 weeks pregnant and i check my sugar 7-12 times a day. taking insulin is not that bad, I actually have a pump and it has gotten my A1C down from a 6.0 when I first got pregnant to a 5.4. so it has really made it easier for me.
  • @juliej77 I remember. I'm just trying to prepare for everything before I go. And that A1c was in feb at 6 weeks. I'm definitely asking him to test it again.
  • edited May 2011
    @Stillsurprised i never got sick from metformin & still don't. But I did call my regular dr a month or so ago. She said to just talk to ob about it because diabetes is managed different in preg. Which I didn't know at the time. I've never seen an endocrinologist. More things to discuss with ob.
  • @headersue he is highrisk. Supposedly. I thought he'd do more. I do go every 2 weeks for ultrasound on baby & lately been leaving urine. I go Wednesday for another level2. First one baby was upside down & backwards so tech saw & measured few things. But said amniotic fluid & placenta was great looking. I'm on methyldopa for hbp. Which is normal when I check at jewel or those public testers. But at ob it runs kinda high. So that's controlled but now my am numbers are getting high sometimes.
  • @headersue I did tag u here instead of the other thread. You tagged me there but on this thread its my info instead the guy with a preggy gf.
    Is the pump under the skin? Id hate to have to inject insulin. I can't even test my finger with out someone pressing the button for me. And on Wednesday for my level2 I don't really aee the ob. I see the midwife this appt. I've met her bfore so ill ask her wat she thinks/knows. I'm starting to test more!! To keep up with levels.
  • @ncoughlin08 yup ask. It doesn't hurt to ask & know. I'm asking for another one. Its been 3 months!
  • Thatsn not bad. 6.0 is real good! But ask for another a1c. It couldn't hurt. :)
  • @one5one my pump is above the skin. I put a new site in everyday. That is pretty much the only sticking I do besides the finger stick. I have not had an A1C done since January when I was 6 weeks prego. I write my numbers down and show them to the doc when I go, and he tells me if he wants me to change anything. I go on 6/7 and they are going to do blood work again then, I assume they will check my A1C then but I am not sure. I have noticed the further I get the higher my numbers are in the morning, but I have been getting up at 3am to pee and I check my sugar then and take insulin if it is high. It is a little different with the oral meds, so I am not sure how they would address high sugar in the morning other then giving you insulin It sucks having to give yourself shots, but the needles are so small, most of the time I don't even feel it, to me it hurts worse to check my sugar then to takie the insulin. Well good luck at your appt and if you have anything else I can help you with, just let me know! :)
  • Thank you so much for info. It seems lately since I've been testing all day that the only high numbers sometimes tend to be in the am. Maybe they need to up the dose by one morepill. Ill ask them when I go. Sometimes those finger pricks hurt!! Don't they! Lol. I've never shot insulin b4 but if I need to then so be it. Thanks again!