Tricare....y

edited May 2011 in Military moms
So im gonna be delivering my baby alone because my hubby is gonna be on deployment and no family members are able to come to help as of yet. Im also in the military and I dont know how I can have my baby at home with my family and not a military hospital.... Im so scared and I just dont know what to do. Someone help how can I get tricare to pay for my childs birth if I go home so I can have some support?

Comments

• The only way to give birth at a non-Army hospital is to switch to Tricare standard. And then you will have to pay for some of it out of pocket. I believe you pay around 1,000 for the birth. They just changed the rules in Jan. 2011. I called Tricare to find out if I could deliver off post, but the only way is you'd have to pay. You can call Tricare to find out the exact details.
  • Is there a military hospital close to where your family lives? If not, Tricare is just like commercial insurance, you can use a regular hospital. I would call Tricare and ask them, the worst they would say is that they won't cover it, but I am pretty sure that they will. My sister is married to an Airmen and when she was pregnant with my neice he was deployed and she came to Ohio from NC and had all her appt's in Ohio but was back in NC for delivery.
  • Thanks I will call and look into it. But my doc td me I can only have my baby at a military hospital and there are no military hospitals close to my family.
  • I know its the way I wrote above for the Army, I'm not sure about other branches. But Tricare, will not cover a delivery off post, unless you are high risk.
  • No you don't have to pay that much you pay about 25$ a day ur inthere as long as your pregnant tricare pays for all medical I switch to standered a few months ago so I could go to my local hospital sence I came home to give birth so I won't have to be alone.
  • Yeah I know. I guess I will just have to pay for it out of pocket. At least I will get to be with my family.
  • just FYI....if you just happen to go into labor while you are not close to a military hospital and you deliver at a civilian hospital Tricare will cover it....They have to it is the law....Just saying if you just "happen" to be where your family is....lol
  • just FYI....if you just happen to go into labor while you are not close to a military hospital and you deliver at a civilian hospital Tricare will cover it....They have to it is the law....Just saying if you just "happen" to be where your family is....lol
  • Lol thats what I was thinking lol. If I just so happen to go into labor while im home just visiting lol
  • I would talk to tricare first. My daughter and I went back to Cali (from NC) when my hubby deployed and we both had civilian doctors, went to civ hospital and everything was payed for. But we did do a permanant change of residence through the Army while he was deployed. Its mot uncommon for wives to go back home. Just go sit with a rep and see. Take your hubby with you.
  • Ok thanks I will. I just know it might be a little different because we are both in the navy active duty. I just hope I can go home to have my baby
  • @firsttymmommi I personally believe that the out of pocket cost is well worth the peace of mind. :)
  • Get a letter from ur doc. Saying ur going to be out of state... Tricare will pay for any er visits.. and if u go into labor make sure in advance to have paperwork to cover ur ass. I didn't have my baby, but had something similar happened. Didn't have to pay.... plus talk to the Tricare rep in the state ur family lives at! They help a lot and military one sourse..
  • From what I recently learned from Tricare was that you can go to any hospital/dr u want but you have to pay what Tricare doesn't cover (in most cases no more than $1000.)
  • My sister went home while her hubby was deployed. She just called tricare and told them her situation and she was able to deliver at a non military hospital. I also have friends here that go off base for care and won't be delivering at the naval hospital. You just have to call.