WIC question for Army Wives??!

Does an E-4 with a family of three (husband, Me, and baby) qualify for WIC? Is BAH included in the pay cut off amount? Or does he make too much money? I don't think he makes too much, but looking at charts online for the pay cuts, well I'm just confused now. oh, and I'm in GA. help?!

Comments

• yea i was wanting to no the same thing my hubbys a E-4 but in he Navy its me him our twins an baby on the way do we qualify im in IL
  • If u call the wic office they should be able to tell cuz im in az and they count my HI bah it sucks
  • I hope they don't count bah! That's not fair...its for housing.
  • In florida they dont count bah
  • E4 with 3 should be eligible. About the only thing that would disquailify is if he's deployed getting combat n seperation pay because they do count that
  • I was in TX my husband was an e4 and we did get WIC, I think they told my husband once he made e5 he wasnt going to qualify, but GA might be different, we are in GA too and he is an e5 I havent try because of what they told us, good luck!
  • edited July 2011
    ya hes going on deployment on the **th

**edited due to government security protocol.

Mrs Del Rae, Pregly Support
  • edited June 2011
    You should be able to get on it. My husband is E3 and we just have the one kid in my belly. I really don't think they count BAH. BTW I'm in GA at HAAF.
  • Yeah, I went yesterday and we qualified for it. @lawren my husband is stationed at ft. Stewart
  • I'm at fort stewart too :)
  • edited June 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I was an E5 by myself in Germany and I qualified... Never hurts to call and ask.
  • N/m just read your update...Glad you checked it out. It really helps. I was saving as much money as possible while pg so that I had a good amount when I gwt out of service.
  • @ Cuban_Daisy and Cait_SeptemberMommy I am also at Fort Stewart and I was wondering what rank are your husbands and was it easy to qualify for wic here? oh yeah my husband is a CW2.
  • @johnnaj it would depend on how many kids you have? My husband said your husband is a higher rank, which means he makes more money. My husband is a E4 and we qualify with just one baby on the way. So it may be harder for you to qualify. But you can always call and ask if you would qualify, it was pretty easy for me.
  • We are usmc, my husband is E5, we got it with just our son
  • Mines an e4 and they only count his pay not housing. But we have a 2 year old as well
  • @Gait_SeptemberMommy Thank you I will check into...yeah he makes a little more money but still not enough to be buying formula if you factor in car payments,bills and he pays child support total kids will be there...Again thank you and I am certainly going to check into it can hurt to see... :-D
  • Im at HAAF too.....wow! Small world.
  • @hkringle4910 you might want to take the date out of your per post. Its against opsec to give exact dates.
  • WIC requirements vary by state, in Hawaii, unfortunately military qualifies for WIC. And no BAH is not included, neither are the renlistment bonuses, Familay Separation Allowance, Hazard Pay and the income received for the service member being in a tax free zone... We all make plenty enough money to provide for our families... there is no need to milk the government anymore. The civilian individuals who apply for WIC are required to have the same income as military, however, they do not receive anyvof the allowances we do, nor the tax breaks...
    Just some food for thought for any of you who care about making a difference with our nation.
  • Sydney, I'm not saying that we don't have it easier as Military wives to get WIC, but my husband and I would really be struggling without WIC. We don't get a lot, but we get necessities. Milk, eggs, bread, fresh fruit, its all expensive now days and WIC has provided those things to us which saves a lot of money per month. There are a lot of civilians who milk the government for services other than WIC, too.
  • I guess because its just easier that's what we should do, and if other people do it, why shouldn't we!

• Some people take advantage of the government. My husband and I finally have made it to our first duty station, and barely qualify for wic. Normally we wouldn't get the help but with me pregnant and having a difficult time finding job, and child care I am comfortable with off post, we need the little extra help to get started. Not everyone does it because its easy see. They do it to make ends meet till they can provide again. Honestly we wouldn't be able to provide diapers if we couldn't save that money. The second I get a job I will be cancelling wic. Just thought I would share a little.
  • I currently live in Hawaii and am planning to apply for wic. We barely qualify as a family of 4, but it will definitely help. We live off base and max out our BAH and pay out of pocket for utilities, then there is gas to drive back & forth to base. I DO NOT feel that by using this resource that is offered to me that I am abusing the government. DO YOU HAVE ANY FREAKING IDEA HOW MUCH A GALLON OF MILK CAN COST AROUND HERE? Unless we shop at the commissary, which is not always convenient because thousands of people shop there, we could end up paying close to $8 dollars for a single gallon of milk! So pregnant with a 5 year old, I could be averaging 2 gallons of milk a week times 4 weeks, so that's $64 in milk a month...we could fill up our car for less. If we didn't need it, I wouldn't even consider it, but the cost of anything in Hawaii is so inflated that every little bit helps.
  • @misskristin I completely agree with you, it is NOT milking the system if you are getting help which you qualify for, that is why they provide such programs & I don't believe anyone is to good for help.
  • Hi my husband is in the USCG an he is an E-5 and I still get wic wit his bah and everything my daughter just recently got taken off cause she turn 5 an thats the cut off age for children where I stay here in NC and I'm pretty sure I will still get once the baby gets here
  • @Lawren
    @Cait_SeptemberMommy
    @Cuban_Daisy
    @JohnnaJ
    @miaradavis

My bf is stationed at Ft Stewart too but we live in Savannah! I can't believe there are so many of us in this area :D When are you ladies due?! Is it your first?!
  • My hubby is in the military and when we were pregnant with our first I qualified for wic because he was deployed so considered not in the household during that time, plus i was in school still. I mean I dont think you will because of the E-4 but there are ways around it. At least here in Oregon there is.