So stressed, I dont think I can do it anymore.

edited June 2011 in Breastfeeding
I can't breastfeed so have been expressing and bottle feeding. I get so stressed out with it that the thought alone is enough to make me cry. My hands are completely cramped up because I'm expressing 8 times a day with a manual pump but I can't afford an electric one. I really want to give up and formula feed. I feel guilty because I want to do what's best for my lil man but i don't think I can take much more.
What happens when you stop breastfeeding? How long does it take for your Boobs to stop hurting and leaking?

Comments

• I formula feed my baby and it took my boobs less then a week to stop leaking they didnt hurt so I didnt have to deal with that..

A lil advice hon. do what is good for you the easiest route is the best route. There is a new formula infmil has just for newborn is not breast milk but its very close to it.. Take it easy on yourself do whats best for you and baby and try not to stress
  • First you have done brilliantly well done mummy. Second if you switch to formula it doesn't matter my little boy was formula fed and has no health problems and is a very smart 2 year old. Your milk should dry up in a week or 2 and if you put cabbage leaves on your boob it will help ease any discomfort.
    Don't feel bad for not feeding baby breast milk there us so much more to being a good parent than what they eat. Big hugs to you Xxx
  • This will be my first baby but everything that @tammy said is what I've heard to be true!! :) Plus even you trying to bf is so honorable. :) Try the cabbage leaves!!!! My friends swear by it!
  • I have to disagree with the other girl quoting that the easiest route is the best route. We all know that isn't true. Do what you know is right. You are one tough mommy and you can do anything(:
  • edited June 2011
    @My_Tiny_Blessing What I meant by easiest route is the best route is if its easy for her then she should do it.. Ive been a mom for almost 3yrs nowi know what im talking about its always best to make things easy and not stress yourself when you have a newborn
  • Before u stop breast feeding look for a support group if u go to the le lache (sp?) Website u might be able to find one where u are. I hear they help a lot n I have also heard that the first few weeks r the hardest cuz it takes mom n baby a while to get the hang of it... just a suggestion but do what u think is best. :)
  • @ssetty6000 I've had 2 breastfeeding councillors and every midwife who came on shift while I was in hospital help me but unfortunatly I can't breastfeed because I have inverted nipples. Inverted nipples don't always been mean you can't breastfeed but sadly in my case it does.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. not sure what I'm gonna do yet but am trying very hard to stay positive :-)
  • I am in the same situation I want to give up it is very painful and when ever I try to pump it nothing comes out :( and her being on my nipple hurts like hell and I just had a BF class idk what to do :/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Also if u r on wic they should be able to get u an electric pump or u can rent one it will be cheaper than formula
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate I tried nipple shields but instead of my nipple filling them the shields inverted to take the shape my nipple has so there was still nothing for him to latch onto. They taught me to hand express whilst in hospital and I found it oh until my milk came in but I'm not very good at catching it lol.

@momof22be what's wic? I'm in the UK. I'm not sure how it works with stuff like that here.
  • Oh sorry Hun its in the us its just like help from the government maybe they have something like that there ask around good luck sweetie
  • I feel for you. Breast feeding came so naturally for my baby we didn't encounter any problems at all... but i can see his frustrating it is for my friends. What did the lactation nurses advise??
  • Maybe you could find somewhere that u could rent one usually hospitals do that here someone might do it there just look online and buy the parts like tubes and such yourself for sanitary reasons
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2011
    Nipple shields are awesome. Im breastfeeding a 4lb preemie with the shields. She is doing great. I hate to see you give up. Everyone swears if you can make it thru the first 3 weeks it gets easier. I have a inverted nipple. It took a couple of days of pumping before I even got anything out. Eventually the nipple came out. It was bleeding and looked horrible but now works fine. Im still pumping (5 weeks now) and every week more of the pathways open up and more milk comes shooting out. I thought I wasn't going to be able to breastfeed but I can. Just keep trying. Don't give up.