zoloft

edited June 2011 in Pregnant
Has anyone taken zoloft while pregnant? Are there side effects? Does it work?

Comments

• I Went off my zoloft during pregnancy bc I want taking any risks on birth defects. Youre Dr will prescribe if they believe the benefits to u out weigh the possible negative effects it can have on fetus. Not really many accurate studies done on the cause & effects of the drug during pregnancy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Im a pharmacist and the zoloft insert classifies zoloft as pregnancy C and that means no studies have been done on humans only rats and rabbits and at high doses yes there is problems. The question for your Dr. Is do the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the fetus (baby). And also there are risks of taking zoloft after 20 weeks that could increase the chance of persistent pulmonary hypertension.
  • The commercials are scams,do u really thnk ur doc would prescribe u smthng that would harm u & ur baby? i think zoloft is fine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nobody will ever no what medication is safe to take during pregnancy. It will always be up in the air. No studies have ever been done on pregnant women to clarify what safe an not. Who wud wanna do studies while ur prego to benifit others and risk ur own child. I was on seraquil and effixor and I stopped taking all my meds as soon as I found out at 6 weeks. I'm now almost 38 weeks with a healthy boy. If ur worried jus stop taking it. Even ur Doc don't really no if its safe.
  • edited June 2011
    I took zoloft my entire pregnancy with my first. It was 8 years ago. My son is perfectly healthy. No birth defects no mental or physical problems. Those commercials are a couple people had something happen and they r trying to find more people to file a class action lawsuit. They just want money. If your Dr is prescribing it for you then there shouldn't be any concern on their part. If you are concerned then talk with ur Dr and they will talk to u about it.
  • I was just prescribed it today. I haven't tried it yet. Now I'm scared to try it.
  • @Ali_in_Ok if you have concerns about what your Dr. Has prescribed you
    really need to talk to him or her about it the statistics of something going wrong are less than 1% of the pregnancy population so you have to trust your
    Dr. And your gut on what's best for you. May I ask why your Dr is presribing?
  • Those commercials fail to state why zoloft was prescribed. Zoloft is also used to help people stop smoking, it is far safer than smoking during pregnancy therefore doctors prescribed it to women who were attempting to quit.. Combined the side effects were not favorable, alone smoking causes more complications than zoloft. Studies DO show this. I'm a resident doctor in womens medicine, zoloft is very commonly prescribed to women at the womens hospital where I am employed and I will mention that it is a world reknowned facility not because I care to brag but so you know that doctors will not prescribe you harmful substances as easily as your doc prescribed you zoloft. If it was something your doc was concerned about he/she would be legally obligated to discuss the risks with you. Having said that, all the other girls are giving you the best advice when they say to chat with your doc if youre fearful. Im happy to answer questions if you'd like.
  • Thank you so much for the input ladies! @sap74 it's for depression. Ever since the dad left I've been having a very hard time and zero appetite. @lilbun95 thank you so much for the information. I didn't get to talk to my Doc today, just the nurse. She mentioned that there were possible side effects but didn't really have time to go in to much detail. I quit smoking cold turkey a couple weeks ago and ever since I've been feeling more sad. I figured it'd be best to get on something rather than light up again.
  • @Ali_in_OK when you get to speak to your Dr. You might ask about wellbutrin
    not only is it a class B drug meaning its presumed safe during pregnancy it will help with depression and as a bonus it is a drug to help people quit smoking..
  • I take zoloft's generic and it is a rated B drug.
  • @sap74 my gender u/s is Tuesday so I'll ask then. As for now, I'm on night 3 of taking the generic zoloft. Thank you for all the info. I really appreciate it!
  • @Ali_in_OK No problem Im sure all will be fine either medication you take.
    good luck and im here if you have any questions.