different religions

edited February 2011 in May 2011
So my husband and I are having our first child this may. He's Mormon and im catholic. I knew what I was getting myself into when I got married and religion never was really a big problem with us minus a few fights about angels during Christmas and whatnot. So now everytime we talk about baptism/baby blessing we get in a heated argument. Neither of us go to our churches regularly but he wants a baby blessing and I want a baptism. I don't belove in the whole 'let the kid choose when they're older because that never works out and me nor him are planning on converting to either religion in the near future. Has anyone every gone through this or is going through this?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would convert to make him happy but I don't want to do for the wrong reasons and he understands that. We both knew this would happen when we talked about having kids. And im ok with the whole baby 'blessing' but when I say anything about the baptism he gets upset then I get upset and that just causes arguments
  • Could you do both?
  • That's what I asked him but he got all upset about that because Mormons don't belive in baptism until the kid is 8(I think) when they know right from wrong and to baptize a baby is wrong in their eyes.
  • I wud do both if possible
  • I want to because I baptized as a Catholic and me and my family want to get our child baptized. I see it as fair if im letting him and his family get the blessing done
  • Just tell him that at that age, baptism and blessing are essentially the same thing. How far along are you? He may come around before the beby is born.
  • Im 26 wks along. That's what told him too but he's just being his stubborn self
  • Well you still have a while to go. Does he tell you why he disagrees so much?
  • I'm agnostic and my fiance is Catholic, but hasn't been to church in a while. I dont really want the baby baptized because I think its just a silly ritual that doesn't mean anything. I've never been baptized, and my family is Christian. But... I think that would freak out his family and he really wants it. I suppose ill just have his mom stand up in the altar and do it. I mean, it would be weird since I've never been baptized if I did it.
  • I did a naming were in Australia I'm not it religious so our boys have god parents just no religion unless decide they want to follow 1 going thro school
  • @4senough he said he doesn't believe in original sin and that baby's shouldn't be 'punished' for something they didn't do ( the whole adam and eve thing)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Our grandparents were mormon and baptist... they agreed not to go to either of their religions but a neutral one... they have been married for 63 years...and go to the presbyterian church... I would definitely study the religion and see that they have quite a few completely different beliefs on Jesus, Mary, and God... I do agree that if you do the mormon thing you should be able to do the catholic thing too... both or none...

• My husband and I are the same, I'm Mormon and he's his own free thinking spirit. Even though I'm not practicing, I still want our baby to be "blessed." I know there's nothing magical about it, but if you're thinking of baptizing your little one, its at least a good way to make both sides of your family content. Choosing to do one over the other is favoritism, not an ideal environment to raise a family in. We decided that it would be alright to bless her, only because my husband has no equivalent to compare with.
  • I don't think babies are born with original sin either. I believe that's what jesus died for, to "erase" original sin and give us all the chance to make our own decision. But blessing the baby and declaring to God that you will raise the baby to know Him is a good reason to do a baptism, in my opinion. Has he come around at all?
  • My husband calls himself a catholic but never goes to church and i dont go to any religion i just believe their is a god. I see something wrong in every religion so i have my own ways of believing. My mom was raiced in pentecostal (i think thats how its spell ) then change to jehovas witness and my dad is catholic (never goes to church ) i respect every religion and have gone invited to all of those plus baptist church. So my husband wanted to baptize our baby girl but i said no because he was doing mostly because of his family and i told him whenever he goes to church everytime hes suppose to and follow what the bible says and have total love for his religion he could do it. But i never seen him go to church, pray, or nothing religious. I told him not to call himself catholic, bc hes only a believer. He has not yet said a word about trying to baptize our girl. I wont have a problem with her desiding her religion, thats going to be her desicion when she grows up, i just want her to know their is a god!
  • Im Muslim and he is Baptist and went to Catholic school. Neither of us attend services and have decided to let our daughter choose her own path like I did. She will know about God but will not be forced into any religion. My mom is Protestant but has studied with Catholics, Jehova's Witnesses, and learned about Judaism and Buddhism so I was exposed to it all. When I got old enough I chose what I most identified with. Since neither of us are religious or into the church we see no reason to go through some silly ritual quite possibly for her to change her mind when she's older.
  • edited February 2011
    This may sound off topic at first but I think it may give you some insight. I had a son that I gave up for adoption. I did not have a relationship with Jesus at the time but went to church and wanted to get my son started in the right direction. The adoptive parents who were present at the birth didn't believe un infant baptism so we compromised. We had the chaplain at the hospital prepare a blessing for my son. At first the adoptive parents didn't want to do it but I felt very strongly about it and told them that it couldn't hurt to have him blessed. It isn't a curse when u bless someone. The chaplain gave me a written copy of his very thoughtful blessing and it has helped me personally in my healing process. I know that it isn't water baptism but it definantly let God enter our sons life from birth. As a Christ follower now I wouldn't have changed a thing with that decision. And I think that it blessed all the parties involved.
  • Thank you everyone. I talked to my husband calmly and he will let me do a baptism since i'm letting him and his family do the blessing. I see nothing wrong with the Mormon faith, but its something I don't feel comfortable in converting. My husband is pretty into the.LDS church and even went and did the two year mission as a teen. He just started to drink and smoke once he left home and stopped going to church. Since being pregnant I've helped him stop drinking and smoking and he has started to go back to his church a little bit more. I don't see a problem with the blessing and hey its not going to hurt for our baby to get a 'double dose' of Jesus as my mother says
  • So I called the catholic church today ad told them what's up. I have to go to at least two months of services and attend a baptism preparation class. Then my husband has to give me written permission to let them baptize the baby since he is not a member