what other pain medication is avalible?

edited June 2011 in Giving birth
i am totally convinced that i am NOT getting the epidural, so what other pain medication can i ask for?
i am 35 weeks this Saturday but they already stopped pre-term labor so on the 21st if i am dialated anymore i will be on my way to the hospital.

Comments

• My favorite method if pain relief is a labor pool/tub!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think once you get in there, you'll be begging for drugs. There's no hurt or harm in opting for the epidural if there were, they wouldn't have it as an option although it's not for everyone since it's pretty strong I hear. Good luck on whatever your method is though. You can ask about Demerol or Stadol IV drugs if you want the medicated route if ed makes you weary. It's safe as long as a trained nurse administers it. Non-drug route, Lamaze has been developed well enough through the years to help manage the pain.
  • Before they had given me my epidural they gave me IV pain meds. It just kinda took the edge off and I was able to get some rest since I didn't want my epi till I was like 5cm. The only thing I didn't like was I was soooo tired luckily mu labor lasted a while so the tiredness from the meds wore off.
  • edited June 2011
    I remember I had very painful cramping when I was like 8 weeks and I was in the er and they gave me something they SAID would put me to sleep (it didn't but made me feel a little high), at first my veins felt like they heated up while it went through then I couldn't feel ANYTHING! I was like "I want THAT when I give birth!" lol
  • I think it started with a "Z" but I can't remember.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've been wondering this same thing. Thanks for posting. I don't want to do an epidural cuz it scares me that it could possibly paralyze you if done wrong. I have a question, which effects the baby more? Epidural or pain meds? My main concern over my fear of the epidural is how the baby is effected...
  • edited June 2011
    The baby isn't affected by the meds, it's definitely not harmful to them at all. Like I said, if it was harmful, it wouldn't be an option. And almost every baby these days would have something wrong with them because it's very common for a woman to go the ed route. As far as the risk for paralyzing, if you're squirming around when they tell you not to move then yeah, it will probably happen. As long as the person giving it to you is trained to do so, you have nothing to worry about and they will tell you if they are a resident or not because they have to, you can ask them to get someone else to do it. Once you get the initial calming pain reliever all you'll feel with the ed is hearing a pop and feeling pressure and apparently, it burns a bit. I suggest subscribing to baby mags like you & your family and babytalk. Those mags really helped ease my mind about ed and the babies.
  • Thanks@ Deni_b. So it doesn't make the baby high? I've heard this, have I been misinformed? Cuz if it doesn't get the baby high, im going all out lol
  • Well, maybe 40 years ago it was like that but they've since changed the dosage where it won't get to the baby.
  • Ah ok well then you have definitely helped ease my mind@Deni_b
  • I've already talked about it with my Obgyn so I'm all set to get them as soon as the babies come! Talk to yours to make you feel even better about it. Some people I've noticed are kind of negative about things and seem to scare the other first time mommies because they believe what they hear outside of a practitioner's office or just have a strong opinion against whatever it is.
  • edited June 2011
    I went natural with gas only. If you don't want drugs the shower or birthing bath really help... its not that bad really if you keep calm
  • Narcotic drugs via iv DO affect baby. It lowers their apgar scores and their reaction, reflex , breathing. Epidural does not cross the placenta though