blood transfusion

edited June 2011 in Giving birth
Preglys....I can't believe this but they are probably going to have to give me a blood (or at least an iron transfusion ). They said my iron is so low they can't believe I don't just pass out and that if I started to.bleed heavily that it could be really bad. I'm in shock....I feel fine so this has come as a surprise. Please pray for me.

Comments

• praying for you... Goodluck I'm pretty sure everything will turn out fine...
  • Praying for you now. Keep us posted, please.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for your prayers! I feel alot better emotionally right now! Have any of you had a blood transfusion? What's it like?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've never had one but I give infusions at work all the time. It's amazing how fast some of the patients can perk up after their levels go back up. Im sure you will be fine. Good luck
  • That makes me nervous because I have low iron:/
  • @08lilmomma11. If they have told you to take supplements I would take them seriously. I really didn't know anything bad could happen because of it. But they said they were surprised I'm not just passing out when I get up to walk. I really just brushed off the iron supplements and now I wish I hadn't.

@praying4our3rd they said my iron levels were at a 6.2 when they should be about 12-13. They also said that my platelets were low so I'm not clotting well :O
    They did just run my blood work again so we'll see what the new readings are...and then they decide.
  • @praying4our3rd yeah I'm hoping I will feel better afterward. It would be nice to have more energy with a newborn and a toddler ;)
  • I just had a blood transfusion after my csection. I lost a lot of blood and it helped me a lot.
  • I've had one after my first was born. Didn't feel any different than getting an I.V. and it helped me feel so much better.
  • Yeah I had one after a operation on my hip, just the same as a normal IV! Hope you feel better soon!
  • @beautiful_altar @carrielee @littlenat86 thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear it helped all of u! They r doing the transfusion now. I'll let u know how I feel when its done.
  • I had a condition while prego with my son (#2) and my count got down to 4.7. they were shocked that he was still alive and i was walking on my own. i had 6 blood transfusions in 8 days. sadly, the highest mine is and probably will ever get is 13. so far, my highest is 12.7.
    neither of us had any troubles and my doctors were sure to test me for hep c (since there is a very very small risk i could develop due to transfusion). now im prego with #3 and doctors watch closely. I would say it's ok and you can feel ok about getting one if need be! :-D
  • I had a slight allergic reaction to the first pint of blood so they stopped it about halfway through. They've given me benadryl and ordered more blood work. I'm hoping that my hemoglibin.levels have gotten better though. It looks like i'll get to go home tomorrow with baby Sebastian.
  • @blissmarie23 I gt low platelets been up and down all pregnancy I finaly go in to day to be induced and if there still low I also gt to have blood transfusion .. hope ur well any way .. let u know wot happens later I go in in 3 hours ... scared
  • @littlemisscvl. I'm so glad to hear ur going to meet ur baby soon!! The transfusion wasn't bad (neither was this induction ;) ) its good they were looking out for ur platelet count before they induce u they didn't catch it til they were about to discharge me. I can't wait to hear how everything goes for you!! Try to relax during labor :)
  • I have had over 3 dozen units of blood/platelets & plasma. I developed Lupus from it (very rare & odd), but my levels were 4.2 (or 4.6) I was 8.5mos pregnant, they said I should've been comatose at that point. I have been anemic my entire life; runs in my family. They couldn't get my levels to go past 10 at all, so after trying unsuccessfully so many times, they finally were happy to keep them at about an 8. One day I had stomach bleeding so they gave me plasma & blood to help stop it, gave me 8 units! Made me literally sick for 2 days. When shift change went around for my normal doctor, he said they gave me too much, so they pumped me full of Zofran (had a trach, puking is no fun with those) then gave me saline IV to help flush it all out quicker. I hope you're feeling better!
  • @mrsdelrae. That sounds awful!! My transfusion wasn't that bad. I did get some hives but they r gone now and we caught it as it was happening. They gave me benadryl and I feel fine now. Im interested to see what my hemoglobin levels are now. Honestly I'm not sure why I have low hemoglobin readings. So I hope they have me follow.up and do a blood study when I leave here.
  • It was almost 2yrs ago; but I remember it all very well. I had a huge medical ordeal that accompanied it, but it was definitely something I hope nobody ever has to go thru. They said since I'm Italian, French & Portuguese I have what's called Mediterranian Syndrome, where my body can't assimilate iron. Plus from the Lupus & having protein S deficiency I have to take blood thinners for life (right now on injections) so I can't eat most foods with iron because they produce vitamin K which encourages blood clots. Can't take birth control due to the same reason (clots), so it makes life interesting to sy the least. I am so glad they caught it in time, allergic reactions are hellish. Take it easy, hope you get some rest. Baby is adorable BTW!
  • @mrsdelrae my midwife mentioned meditterenean syndrome but I have no lineage from that part of the world. I eat enough iron rich foods though so something is going on
  • Odd. Nowhere down the line there's no European ancestry? Anyone in your family have anemia? Its usually hereditary. How old are you?
  • Im german irish through and through. We trace our lineage all the way back to the vikings. So I don't think its from my family. I don't know if my mom has anemia but I guess its possible. I'm 31. Maybe I could have Meditereanean syndrome but it not be hereditary. Like a medical anomaly. I'm interested to see what it is. I have to find a doctor now. We haven't gone to the doctor for at least 2 yrs since we moved. But its clear that I need to find a doc to get this checked out and regulated. @mrsdelrae
  • I've had iron transfusions for 3 yrs now, they make you really sore in tired for a day or two. But after that you feel like a new person. It'll be ok. I hope its justt iron and not blood they have to give you. Much easier on the body. Good luck and let me know if I can help ease your anxiety about the iron infusion....I've become a pro after three years haha :)
  • Just read through the update, sorry should hhave done that first. Hope your feeling better and hime resting with your little one :)
  • Well they are discharging me. Iron is still low 6.7 (which is close to what it was prebirth) I'm happy to go home though. Ready to get settled into life with the new baby.