smoking

So i know this girl she is 31 weeks pregnant and still smokes a pack of cigarettes a day.. Doesn't this have a major effect on the Babys development?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I makes me sad to know that the baby is having to deal with that.. Maybe i can tell her some personal experiences some of these ppl post to maybe make her stop??
  • Wow!a pack a day? Wow.....
  • i smoke . but im at 2 a day . i cut back alot when i found out i was pregnant . i tried quitting but it was stressing me out . so i told dr im at 2 a day and she said its ok and baby is perfectly fine . i mean a pack a day woah ! but who am i to talk i still smoke .
  • My mom smoked with all 3 of us and were all ok people lots of ppl smoke while pregnant but its the amount she smokes that gets me! She hasn't even tried to cut back!
  • I smoke. It's a hard habit to kick. Babycenter has a really good article on the effects of smoking while pregnant.
  • My friend smoked her whole pregnancy not that much a day mind u but her daughter came out fine... she is perfectly healthy....
  • @mommakk88 and @paxtonsmama honestly I don't think cutting back or not smoking as much justifies putting our unborn children at risk. Sure there's a chance he or she will be just fine but the odds are stacked against us if we do. I know you guys didn't say that you personally smoke but 1 pack or 1 cigarette its all the same to me.
  • edited June 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @teuy I'm not disagreeing with u that's y I don't smoke I'm just sayin that's the only experience I have with smoking n pregnancy
  • My sister is a lifelong non-smoker, but her son has severe allergies, asthma, is prone to bronchitis, & has ear infections like crazy. He's 4 & on a nebulizer, two different inhalers, & some kind of liquid allergy medicine. Her hubby is also a non-smoker & my nephew was born into & raised in a totally smoke free home. And then there's my aunt, who smoked at least a half a pack a day & delivered a 10+ pound baby boy with no respiratory ailments whatsoever. It's weird. I quit smoking when I got pregnant, & I know how hard it is...how deep the addiction runs. I give kudos to anyone trying to quit. There are stories of babies being born healthy, like my aunt, & stories of babies born with problems. Seems like it's a gamble, either way. My nephew has all the problems associated with smoking, but was born to two non-smokers. Go figure.

But in the end, my personal opinion is that we know cigarettes are bad for us & for the people we smoke around, so why take the chance & expose our unborn to it, as well? I KNOW how hard it is to quit, but knowing I did it for my little baby makes me feel SO good! It's a goal & a reward worth striving for. Best of luck to anyone who's quitting. Stay strong!! :)
  • Seriously ladies I used to smoke so many cigarettes. I would find any excuse to smoke a cigarette. I couldn't talk on the phone without having one id have one with coffee, watching the sun rise...anytime. and now that I've decided I want to become a mother I stopped. COLD TURKEY. I still crave them sometimes but I want to feel my child inside of me and know that I've done everything I can possibly do to make my body a safe place for them more than I want to smoke a cigarette which is horrible for me anyway.

Ugh my grammer sucks.
  • edited June 2011
  • @mommy2isaiahngiselle see you and I are living proof that it is possible to quit quickly and not just reduce the amount you smoke. I was smoking for 5 years before I quit cold turkey and 2 or those 5 years I probably smoked 2 packs a week.
  • @teuy: I feel your pain. I was a pack a day smoker of Marlboro Menthol 100's. I'm 37 weeks pregnant & as soon as I feel stressed, I STILL think about smoking a cig. My doctor told me there are more receptors in our brains that make us sensitive to nicotine addiction than there are for heroin. Once you're hooked, quitting is hard. But it can be done! There is no greater motivation than your baby growing inside of you.

Two things that helped me was implementing a "No Smoking in the House" rule, which would force me & my baby's father to go outside, even when it was 20 degrees in the winter...or if I felt sick. As I was quitting, I found myself simply not wanting to drag myself outside just to have a smoke. We cleaned the carpets, upholstery, walls, & windows so that we would not be tempted to give in & light one up, or we'd undo all our hard work.

The other thing that helped me were lollipops. Sounds silly, but sucking on one & holding it in my mouth & fingers everytime I craved a cig helped get my mind off it.

If any smoking mom's need some help & understanding as you work towards quitting, hit me up. I understand 100% the struggle you're going through!!
  • @artistmamma I am so proud of you. Its an amazing feat and my argument is always if I'm too selfish prenatal to give up some cigarettes that are not only causing my baby harm but hurting me as well how can I think I'm going to change post natal??? It makes no sense. But the lollipop thing actually sounds completely reasonable. I've never smoked indoors because as much as I liked to smoke I hate how it smells. Weird I know.

Anyway what kind of artist are you? BD is an art student.
  • I quit but recently picked the habit up again, I smoke 5-10 a day depending how bad my day is. I am aware of the risks but tbh it is my pregnancy and I'll do it the way I want. I am aware of the risks but my midwife has expressed no concerns for Elliot. Intact some have praised me for at least cutting back from my 20-30 a day habit. Alot of people I know have smoked during pregnancy and all there children are fine. Not a single problem. So yeah I smoke but it's my pregnancy and my choice. Just because some one else disagrees doesn't mean I am going to stop.
  • @rawksy you're totally right it is you pregnancy and you should go about it exactly the way that you want to because in the end its you who are accountable for your life and the life of your child. I only said what I said to show other mother, mothers to be, and aspiring mothers that its totally possible to completely drop the habit.
  • @teuy: My pregnancy was an, "Omg...oopsie" kind, so sadly, I didn't get the chance to quit until I missed my October period & tested. I also quit taking the anti-depressant, Effexor, cold turkey as soon as I found out I was pregnant, & that was WAY worse than giving up cigs. I have never experienced withdrawal in my life until then...it was horrible!! :(

I'm a self-taught rag doll artist, but I also paint & work with mosaics. I ran a home business selling my work for 7 years, until my ex-hubby left me for my "best friend" & without his income as an anchor, I needed steady, reliable paychecks. I would LOVE to get back into it, though. My work has been described as creepy/cute mixed together perfectly. I'm inspired by Halloween, & artists like Tim Burton, Clive Barker, Edward Gorey, etc. Legendary director George A. Romero owns my work, as do several authors & comic book artists...plus they were used on an episode of NBC's drama, "Passions." I probably could have made something huge out of it if I hadn't had to give it up thanks to my ex. That ass! ;)
  • @Artistmamma that sounds amazing. do you have a website or something? I don't think that's much like what bd does but he's taught me to appreciate all kinds of art and I'm into the darker more creepy stuff :)

And we must have a lot in common because I too quit taking an antidepressant cold turkey but when I decided to start ttc. Mine was more mild than yours I believe. I did celexa and I've experiences lots of anxiety and my sleeping pattern is screwed now.
  • @mommy2isaiahngiselle oh no never apologize for such a wonderful thing. If more people acknowledged God the world would be much better off. I believe that sometimes the pills are necessary, but if God is telling you that its time to stop taking them then its time.
  • @teuy: I had been on 150mg a day of Effexor, trying to cope with the loss of two pregnancies, & my fiance at the time cheating (like the hubby) & leaving me because he wanted to be a father & was convinced I couldn't give him a baby. I had the first miscarriage in Oct. 2008 at 8 weeks pregnant, & lost the second in April 2009 at 5 weeks. This is my first baby, but third pregnancy - another source of stress that made giving up the cancer sticks difficult. But I always quit with each pregnancy...I just have a LOT of other health issues working against me.

I used to have a website but I haven't sold art regularly since November of 2007, & I never renewed it. If you're on Facebook, I have a photo file on there with a bunch of dolls. You can look me up under either: Holly J. Thomas, or my e-mail addy: creepydollmaker@comcast.net

Send me a friend request! :)
  • @Mommy2IsaiahNGiselle: No need to apologize for referencing God, hun. I respect all religions that promote love & peace in this world. It's the negative, destructive ones I have no patience for. I'm a very open-minded spiritual person, & I think it's very important for us human beings to reach outside ourselves for comfort & guidance. To seek the divine, at the risk of sounding like a hippy. Lol! ;)

Depression has been shadowing me all my life, & it runs rampant in my family, as well. We've had two suicides (both before I was born) & some family members who were institutionalized. Perhaps this is why I've always wanted to study Psychology? Mine seems situational...when things get sh*tty & stressful, it rears its ugly head. So I've been on & off anti-depressants & anti-anxiety meds since my mid-20's. I've always used art, reading, & meditation as forms of self-therapy.

You stay strong & healthy sweetie!! We're here for you when you need us! :)
  • edited June 2011