Midwife is stressing me out!

edited June 2011 in UK
Just rang trying to c a midwife n was told theres a 6 weeks waiting list, convinced my blood pressure has went up n jst want a quick check,my nxt app aint till end of july! Was told if I was concerned go to hosp! Arghhh! Any1 else have this prob with midwife?

Comments

• Yes!! I ended up going to hospital as my appt was meant to be at 25weeks finally got seen at 28!
  • Did they not think u were wasting time?worried incase I go up n they say nothings wrong. im 27 wks jst now not saw any1 since 21 wks, got major headaches n dizzy ness, jst want to b sure everythings as it shud b without looking like a hypocondriact.ha
  • Did they not think u were wasting time?worried incase I go up n they say nothings wrong. im 27 wks jst now not saw any1 since 21 wks, got major headaches n dizzy ness, jst want to b sure everythings as it shud b without looking like a hypocondriact.ha
  • I don't have a midwife, so im not sure how they are supposed to be, but my understanding on the idea of them was so that you could avoid going to hospitals as much as possible...it seems weird they would reccomend you Going into a hospital instead of just trying to fit you in.
    do you have any pharmacy's near by that have the blood pressure booths? If so go check it..if not I would go to the hospital
  • Iv jst googled loyds pharmacy there have 1 that is reasinably close so gonna go c if tgeyl do it thanks didnt kno u cud get that done, my doctor surgery is a nitemare for appointments, wud b better off not having a midwife either!
  • Most of the blood preassure checks at a pharmacy is a do it yourself thing. If you go thak it about 3 times they aren't the most acurate. If you are having the headaches and dizziness id just got into l&d and get checked. How is the swelling in face hands and feet? If any are swelling more than normal that's another red flag. Good luck
  • I agree with @camommy the bp machines in the pharmacy are not great but they do sell ones you can use at home which are better, still do it 3-5 times and take an average
  • I use pharmacy bp machines and get the same reading my midwife gets. The trick I find is that I have to sit and wait for a minute, since my bp goes up just walking into the store... ;-)
  • Is this your first baby? if so should see midwife at around these times, 10w 16w 24w 28w 32w 34w 36w 38w 40w 41w and blood pressure and urine checked every time and blood's done first appointment and 28w appointment if its just blood pressure your worried about make a doctors appointment they'll be able to check it for and answer most ?'s to maybe quicker then midwife appointment and also saves you going hospital or your doctors surgery may be able to just make you quick nurse appointment :) hope you feel better soon
  • So went to try get my bp taken at pharmacty n she wouldnt do it coz im preg, I bought 1 n its been readin between 155 and 168 over about 80, so dnt know if im doin it right got an app to c a doc tomoz to check it out, this is my 2nd im suppose to b a red pathway paitent but iv saw midwife less nxt app is for glucose test nxt wk n not seeing midwife till july. Do I get less apps with 2nd?
  • Yeah you get less I'm not sure how many less if you Google it it should come up with when you see them and how often mine was 100/60 i think last week and she said that's about right i have no idea about bp me mam just said its. a bit high but not dangerously high
  • Jst gonna c some1 tomoz hooefully maybe help me feel bit better jst havent been myself, n constant headache. :( will hopefully kno better tomoz.x
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pharmacists won't do a lot for pregnant women over here @gatorbob lol

just a thing i had dizziness and headaches and turned out i needed glasses said when pregnant muscles relax and my eye muscles were relaxing to much but in December when had eye's tested they were fine but all way through march and April had migraines and really bad dizziness had eyes tested again and needed glasses
  • Im in uk, jst said has to b midwife when pregnant, machine I bought seems pretty gd tho, tempted to do it every hour, my hubby will need to hide it, hopefully c a doctor tomoz set things right!
  • Du kno my mum said that today n I jst brushed her off, shud make an app to check that too.x
  • Wish I was u seem to have much better care that what u get in scotland!
  • Aw was a wrist cuff I got, hmm im so paranoid something is wrong, guess will nd to wait till tomoz.thanks for ur input.x
  • Lol they wouldn't give me the calcium tablets my midwife told me to get hour later i went in with prescription from doctor and he said even though he know's there safe in pregnancy he can't sell me nothing lol

always worth a try checking your eyes :)
  • Aw I kno nitemare here too, I asked for advice on what to take for flu n said they could advise me to c a doctor!
  • Same here only thing they'd give me is these crystal things to put in hot water to sniff to clear my nose
  • I thought pharmacys have the arm one.mine does.I never seen the one with the wrist.
  • Do you not have phone numbers on your notes for out of hours, labour and delivery, pregnancy ward and all that? They are always who I call for advice or to get seen? I wouldn't wait that long to be seen, thats terrible!
  • Yeah its up at the maternity hosp tho, its an emergancy only n wouldnt wanna waste there time if its jst me being over paranoid. doc surgery did say to go up if I was that worried n cudnt wait
  • I have had a midwife with 4 of my pregnancies and had the same amount of doctors visits. If i needed to se her because i had a problem i was told to come on in. If it was a serious problem i was told to go to l&d and never go to the er.
  • So saw a doc yest, was bloody pointless says my bp was a bit high nothing to worry bout unless my midwife thinks so, thats no bloody good as I cant get an app with her!arghhh! Did sugest that I go get my eyes tested tho so gonna do that today.