my labor story! (finally)

edited June 2011 in Giving birth
I'm sitting here writing this with 1 hand with my son on my lap! He's already 2 weeks old, so it might be pointless to write but I know I loved to read these so here it is! I didn't write it before because we had some complications after delivery and had to stay at the hospital for a while but I'll get to that at the end...

So I went into labor on May 29th, a day late (and we all thought I'd be early...) My first contraction woke me up at 6:30 in the morning. And I've obviously never been in labor before, so I spent the entire morning wondering if it was labor or not, haha. I had diarrhea though (sorry, TMI) and the contractions hurt, not like Braxton Hicks. And they hurt my back and butt more than my tummy. But they weren't very regular, so I was still unsure.

So anyways, get this, my mom was supposed to fly in the day before, but the flight was canceled, so she didn't get into town until that day (perfect timing!) So she, my boyfriend, and I decided to go to lunch at La Fonda mexican restaurant to pass the time and see if it progressed at all. While we were there, my contractions got a lot stronger and closer together, so we decided we needed to go to the hospital after (but not before I had my sopapillas!!!)

We showed up at the hospital, and I told the receptionist that I thought I was in labor. She got the nurse for me, who brought me into a labor room. She said to me "I'm really sorry to say this because you look all ready with your bags and Boppy and everything, but I can tell just by looking at your face, you're not in labor..." I was SO disappointed!!! But she said she would check anyway. 4 CENTIMETERS!!!! TAKE THAT! So she sent me for a walk, and an hour later, I was 7 cms! They moved me to a delivery room, because things were moving very quickly.

My original plan was to try to do everything naturally, and I was open to an epidural if I felt like I needed it. I was truckin along pretty well without it, and I really didn't feel like I needed it until the very end. My nurse was like "are you kidding me, you're almost done! Just keep going and get it over with girl!" So I did! I did it completely naturally, yay! (And sooo glad I did).

Anyway, my water never broke, they had to break it for me at 9 centimeters, and I was pushing right after. I only pushed for 22 minutes and out he came! I am very very thankful I had such an easy labor, and even easier delivery. And every single nurse and doctor I had (I had to have the on call dr, mine was out of town, ugh!) was absolutely amazing. I have decided no matter where I live in my life, I will be giving birth at Flagstaff Medical Center every time because they were so awesome!!!!

Comments

• Congrats, hon! I'm glad it went so well for you! :)
  • Aww congrats you are so lucky it seems like everything went well with not a lot of pain!
  • @ vette_devil and steph_s90 Thanks so much!
  • Congrats :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Glad everything went well and you have a happy healthy baby. What where the Complications though?
  • Aww congrats! Great story. Yeah, I hate to hear when the nurses say "you don't look like you're in labor!" Who are they to say that?!
  • Congrats! :) hope yu n ur bby boy r doin great! Yumm dey have a fonda restaurant here is delicioso lol :)
  • @lhanafi - congrats!!! I hope my labor goes as easy as your did:)
  • Congrats!!! I love la fonda food!!!! Mmmmmmm.
  • @lhanafi oh my flag!!! Love it there, went to school at NAU :) I wanted to have my baby at FMC I will agree with you they are amazing. They were very kind and helpful when I miscarried two years ago. Hopefully my lil family will move back down someday.... ps send me some la fondas :P

Amazing story. Glad you had a quick and easy labor.
  • Congrats, what were the complications?
  • Bahahaha I got questioned about my labor too. They tried telling me twice my water didn't break and that I wasn't in labor cuz I was too calm. Sure enough though, it was broken and I had the baby!

Congrats! (oh and you never touched on your complications... ;) )
  • Thanks for sharing! Awesome story! Congratulations!!!
  • wow congrats i plan on having a natural birth i hope mines is like yours lol..and that crazy that the nurse told you she could tell you werent in labor by your face