Question for military moms...

Adam is thinking about active duty for army. What do you ladies think. We are in a desperate situation, so we are really considering it.

Comments

• If he can go AF I would recommend that. Shorter deployments and generally better accommodations.
  • My husband is active duty air force. He likes it. Pay is good enough for me to stay home and do college classes. He's only deployed once and it was only for 3 months before we got together.
  • If you are dead set on doing this it needs to be a decision that is agreed upon by both of you. And please be absolutely sure this is what you want to do. It can make you proud to be a military wife...but please when you make the choice keep in mind the worst that COULD happen. No one likes to think of that situation..but as someone who has been in that situation, its a very real thing that can happen, and its best to think about how you would handle that ahead of time. The army also deploys for 12 months at a time..and that can be very hard. Before my late husband passed he was deployed every other year for 4 years. Being apart that long isnt for everyone and there is no shame in that. If you both think that the military is something that you want to do..I would choose the Airforce..they dont deploy for as long as other branches.
  • I am a proud military wife, but it is hard not having them home for long periods of time...if you have a strong relationship foundation though, it can make some couples and families stronger...you can't beat the healthcare and other benefits but those shouldn't be the only reason he does it...his duty to his country will have to come first which gets aggravating at times...I agree that the Air Force is a little easier on the family...best of luck with your decision!
  • I am a proud military wife, but it is hard not having them home for long periods of time...if you have a strong relationship foundation though, it can make some couples and families stronger...you can't beat the healthcare and other benefits but those shouldn't be the only reason he does it...his duty to his country will have to come first which gets aggravating at times...I agree that the Air Force is a little easier on the family...best of luck with your decision!
  • Sorry it posted three times, I hate my phone! X(
  • My husbands also air force! I agree with the other ladies
  • @carley, @tracieleanna20, and @ashley_smashley we have talked about this, it is just more real now. Did you get with your hubbys before or after they joined?
  • I got with mine after. He's been in it for 3 years and we got together this last August.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My husband is active duty for the army. He has been in 11 years and we have been together 6 years. It is hard with deployments, the schooling's, and when they go to the field but it has just made our relationship that much stronger. It also helped us understand what's realty important in life if that makes any sense to you at all. We have moved alot and the friends and people you meet helps you deal when family isn't close. Its a good life though and don't have to many complaints about being an army wife. Its like a family within a family.
  • Really* sry
  • My husband is a marine. He's currently deployed for the second time. We got together after he joined. I'm very proud to be a military wife...it is hard too. Army does deploy for long periods of time, marines are usually 7 months. I don't know about other branches. Good luck with yalls decision!!
  • @krazymomofadrian we were both active when we met. I did 8 yrs in the AF so im pretty familiar with the lifestyle. I personally feel that the money is ok for enlisted not great. However, the benefits outweigh that small issue. U know u will always have a roof over ur head and medical coverage. They pay for college and the spouse may be eligible for education assistance as well. I thank the military for my nursing degree. Deployments aren't that bad. At least for me they weren't but as a spouse they can be trying. My husband has deployed twice and I made it without any family near to help. Just really think about ur options.
  • Thanks so much, it is something he has wanted to do for awhile. We are doing this with my cousins family as well so we won't be alone. I am nervous but we made a list of pros and cons. Problem will be telling our families, and moving with Dri.
  • My husband is in the coast guard and I don't have to worry bout him gettin deployed unless he wats to go and I live being a military wife
  • My father was army, my husband is active navy, uncle in marines, and cousin in af.

Military is military. They try to work with you but in the end they put the mission first.

This life isn't for everybody. I am very proud of my husband but ill be real...you are joining the MARRIED SINGLE life(meaning you have the responsibility and joy of marriage but often alone whether its deployment or just long hrs).

UNLESS you guys have a strong relationship and alot of family, friend, church support I say dnt do it.
  • @newmommy_navywife we are committed to each other. He is my love and my life. I never could imagine that I would meet somebody like him. I know we could do this. For boot camp he wl miss a lot of his daughters firsts. We are gonna talk to the recruiter tommorow then make our decision.
  • edited June 2011
    Good luck dear....and make sure he talks to guys that's in bc recruiters will paint a lovely picture that's not realistic.

Wish you the best.
  • @krazymomofadrian I have a friend that is a army recruiter in Miami. If y'all feel like ur being misinformed I can check with him. Unfortunately not all of then will be honest and do anything to meet quotas.
  • Thats so true what @carley just said. And if he does decided to do it make sure that everything he promises him is in that contract that he signs
  • I am so nervous about this. But we will see what we are gonna do. I kinda feel that is what he did to my cousin. How often do they lie to you??
  • What did they tell you @faulkner27?
  • and Thanks @carley I definitely will.