is labor really that painful after the epidural?

edited February 2011 in July 2011
I'm scared of giving birth . I'm kinda young and am not good with pain . Wat should I expect to happen and feel?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    If you get an epidural, all you should feel is pressure until baby pops out, when the meds wear off you'll be a little sore but not unbearable. I don't remember a lot but I know the epidural helped a lot...
  • I had an epidural with my first. I got it pretty early and i honestly didn't feel anything other than slight discomfort, and sheer exhaustion from pushing. :) But with my second i didn't have time for any meds and it wasn't as bad as i thought. and I'm a pretty big wuss too! im going to try to have this baby with out meds!
  • Oh gosh :/ im just really scarred I'm only seventeen and I'm really nervous. But thanks . How much pressure like I'm just wondering lol
  • That's tough, I can't really remember, hopefully another mommy comes on soon and can answer that, sorry :-(
  • edited February 2011
    Both of my deliveries were different. With my first I had a perfect epidural. I could feel every contraction, but no pain. When I was pushing it kinda felt like I was really constipated and needed to take a big poo. Sorry..but that's how I remember it!

With my 2nd the epidural didn't work as well and I ended being so numb that my left leg was completely dead until about 12 hours later. Despite that the pushing was very painful because the baby was face up instead of face down. The nurse said that an epidural won't relieve bone pain. Since my son was face up it was a greater strain on the bones.

All that said... I am gonna be having #3 in 20 weeks and I not scared. It'll all be worth it!
  • It really does feel like you have to poo really bad. lol But I had both mine natural. First one hurt not gonna lie, but its not unbarable, and as soon as they are out its all gone but the soarness. My second was some pain but really easy. She was out in 5 hrs from the start of contractons. And you get a rest inbetween. It totaly depends on how the epidural is done. My one friend was totaly numb, couldn't feel a thing with both hers. Another was messed up so her arms were numbed and she still felt all the pain. Another was just enough to take most the pain away, but she could still feel contractions and a lil pain w pressure. Thats how its supposed to be. The other got it too soon, and it work off just as she was about to push. So she got it all wham at once. So really just depends what kind, and who does it!! either way, the end result will make it all worth while.
  • I have heard of epi only working on half the body or not at all
  • If it doesn't work at all, they can re-do it... they did with mine & I never felt a thing. Pressure yes, but not too bad, and I had a 9lb 4oz baby! You will be just fine with an epidural, just be honest if its not working right... :)
  • Its different for everybody I was 17 wen I had my first. I had meds cudnt feel nothin but contractions they wasn't that bad felt like cramps. my belly felt very bloated it was hard for me to push so I started throwing up and my babygirl came out. Both my legs was numb for hours after that.
  • I had my son and had an epidural as previously stated it numbs everything so I didn't feel anything. I could feel the pressure when pushing but it wasn't bad. Your body is tired however afterwards feels like you worked a full ten hour shift! But the joy of seeing that face is worth the fatigue! I plan to have another epidural myself for this baby we're expecting now.
  • Everyone is different.
    But epidurals are supposed to numb the pain..that being said I discourage epidurals due to ... you do not necessarily get the urge to push ..and could end up ripping (for lack of a better word) due to not being able to feel the pressure and know when to stop and start again..
    This is all my opinion
    Hope it helps
    Good luck %%-
  • I've had two...first one I screamed and it hurt...second one was very bearable and I watched football in bt pushing. Just depends
  • My sister had a baby boy dec 15 and I was in the room with her and I couldn't even go near her...I started crying because I hated hearing my sister scream i was supposed to cut the cord and I chickened out haha but she had a 9 lb 8 oz baby boy and his head was 14 and a quarter inches he's a big boy lol but she did it all natural and she said it didn't hurt....the babys neck was strong enough to hold his own head up right away...I don't care how bad it hurts I would rather have a bigg baby than a small one anyday....I'm 18 weeks and this is my first pregnancy and seeing that I would love a 9lb baby lol
  • I had my epidural at 3.5 cm and didn't feel any pain at all. You will get the sensation to push and a little pressure (doesn't hurt) you'll do fine ;)