breastfeeding in public....

edited June 2011 in Breastfeeding
What's ur opinion? I have friend who was nursing her 7 month old at a mall and some woman (a stranger) came up to her and told her she needed to cover up or go to the bathroom. My friend tracked this woman down after she was finished and told her off.

Comments

• Hmmm touchy subject... i dont see a problem with it as long as ur descreet. I mean its something private not something u should flaunt like ur cleavage. Ppl may know ur breastfeeding but dont necessarily have to see it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's ok. As long as your not just flopping your tit out for everyone to see
  • I think as long as you cover yourself its great. If Im out and my baby is hungry I will do it but I have a cover.
  • As long as her boob wasn't popin out or could be seen i don't see why it would be a problem... I wouldn't personally but to each their own
  • @Mama_Kat huh??? Its a law?
  • I don't see anything wrong with it. Our society makes it out to be a terrible thing. Like its something sexual. Less women are breastfeeding. The government is giving out free formula. Lots of low income women are using formula instead of breastfeeding cause its free. Breast milk is free too and so much better for our babies.
  • Nothing wrong with it at all. I do think it is much more respectful to those around you if you do your best to be modest or cover yourself when you do it. I wouldn't want my breasts to be ogled by a horny teenager any more than I'm sure his mom wants him to, lol!!! I was never brave enough to do it in public; I always used the restroom or my car if there was nowhere in the restroom to comfortably sit.
  • People walk around with a bottle in there baby's mouth, why can't it be a boobie its doing the same thing
  • I just started bf on tuesday, and as of right now I dont have a good handle on it without completely exposing my breasts to whomever is in my room, tho I think it'll get easier as my incision heals, I need practice to make perfect.
    I worry bout bf in public. Ex: my son plays tball, his games last 90-120 min, I don't want to miss all his games and my daughter will be with me when I go, for her first 4-6wks she'll eat 8-12x a day- so if she gets hungry at my sons game, I need to feed her. I'm thinking of one of those apron things specifically for bf....
  • @salsabia. I agree that our society has sexualized breastfeeding...like we've stolen the breast from our husbands/BDs and are giving it to the baby instead.
    it irks me that someone would say something to her like she's doing something wrong by feeding her baby the best food it she could eat.
  • Breastfeeding should be the #1 choice....and if ur personal level of comfort allows u to do it in public more power to you..obviosly be as descret as possible but its a sourceof food not a peep show!
    @blissmarie23 id tell ur friend to ask the woman if she eats out at restarunts cuz if her feeding her child is offensve maybe the us government should put a ban on restarunts since "public eating" apparently offeds people! Some people are stupid! Good luck
  • @2ndmiracleontheway that is exactly how her conversation with this woman started off (once she tracked her down). The woman said it was a private thing like going to the bathroom so she should do it in private. My friend told her that feeding babies in the bathroom was un-hygienic.
  • I work in a retail clothing store and last Saturday I saw a lady sitting on one of my tables (she had pushed all the nicely folded clothes to one end of the table) and her shirt was over her head and she was breastfeeding her I'm thinking 3 year old. My daughter is 2.5 and he looked older than her. All my customers were mortified because she was showing boob........I'm all for the breastfeeding, but there comes a point. I had to go into our stockroom and laugh.
  • I dont think its any worse than watching someone shove a greasy ass big mac into their mouth with sauce running down their chin n shyt..
  • I personally dont see anything wrong with breast feeding...but I understand that not everyone feels the same way I do, so I plan on being considerate of others by using a cover-up while breast feeding in public.
  • I don't see a problem with it as long as your covering up. I've only seen it once and it was last week!! I couldn't help but stare....I felt bad, but I plan on breast feeding so I kinda feel like I was studying. (As awkward as that sounds)
  • @luvbump lol....sauce rolling down their chin...smh lol
    @kyliemommy that is a bit extreme if I have the option of a dressing room I use it. In the middle of a store on a table certainly isn't ideal
  • @mandiixmayhem I've done that too, my one friend was in from outta town and I couldnt pull my eyes away, I asked her first of course, but I've never seen it and planned on it- she wasn't shy and made it look maternal and beautiful- in a natural way.
  • I agree with @homebirthadvocate in Europe boobs are not a big deal, in America we over sensualize them. I mean look at a man boob, they are the same thing as a women's boob, but because we are women it is a bad thing. I am feeding my child, I will do it in public, I may or may not cover up, that is my choice. It is a beautiful thing that isn't gross or nasty.
  • I thought she was up there, it may have been @seifer12211 sorry lol.
  • I breastfed in public with my daughter and plan to again with my son. In the beginning, my husband would hold up a blanket until I could get her to latch properly. When we became pros, it was extremely easy to be discreet and I always used a recieving blanket or my cover up that I had to cover her :)
  • @homebirthadvocate I feel 90% of the time we are on the same page lol.
  • p.s. I am thinking about making my own baby food any suggestions? Of course that is 4 months away but it is never too late to start planning.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm going to try to pump my milk ahead of time so that when I do go out I won't have to breastfeed in public. But if I have to breastfeed in public I will. I'll just make sure that I have some of those breastfeeding covers to use. I wish someone would come up to me and say something about it. I'd have them wishing that they never looked at me, my baby, or my boob!! :-ss
  • edited June 2011
    @tootie08 lol...I would have to say something too!! Who knows what would come out of my mouth? Im not always calm and rational especially when it comes to my children and/or my body
  • Breast feeding in public is protected by law, breast milk is still the #1 best thing you can do for your child the first the first year. It is a very controversial topic and business owners can't even use the right to refuse service for any such reason law in response to breast feeding. You'd be surprised the number of inquires attorneys and police departments get about it!!! (I went to law school, just never finished) And a mother cannot be harassed in any way shape or form legally - so for those nursing mommies out there you can tell whom ever to A. piss off and B. they harasser can be asked to leave way before you have to. Can't even be held responsible for indecent exposure, because technically..... it not.

On a personal note I breast fed my ten year old for 14 months, and its the most natural thing in the world. @KrasymomofAdrin hit on a crucial point.... In other countries breasts aren't that big of a deal. Plus before "formula" came out what did all the mommies in the centuries before us do???? Hell, women even had wet nurses to aid in the breast feeding of infants due to illness, fashion, tradition, and so on.

Anyhow - that my knowledge and two cents worth.

Meghan