What are a fathers rights?

2»

Comments

• Wow.smh! Drama for nothing!
  • Legal Aid is set up for those who have little or no money for legal assistance. They can give him information, and forms for free or at very little cost. You can look online or in the phone book and find the legal aid in your area. Many attorneys offer free consultations as well, but they generally charge a lot more than many people can and will pay. We've gotten some outstanding results, but our clients have had to pay handsomely. Legal Aid would be the best place for him to try first. As long as he can show proof of his child support, he can show that he is contributing. Establishment of paternity and legal rights are NOT the same thing. Normally paternity is relevant in establishing a child support order. Legitimation is the key to being able to exercise some parental rights.
  • @TishJ330
    ok NOW that makes soooo much more sense to me lol. Thank U so much for sharing ur advice, I did get a contact number for legal aid in our county, however, their family division closes at 12pm and i called just after so first thing Monday we'll get the ball rolling.

@everyone thank U all for sharing your info as well, every piece of info i can gather to use is gonna be big help so thank ya Preglies :)
  • He can call or go to the local court house amd find out exactly what papers he has to file. A lawyer is not needed and honestly when it goes before a judge he'd probably do better without one.
    Any written communication (texts emails fb) HIGHLIGHT what's important b/c a judge isn't reading everything. Recorded convos she's not aware arw recorded are no good. Voicemails yes. Court will probably take a few months (for a date not duration) so file asap, don't let him put it off.
    We had to go thru crap with hubbys ex wife but that was in martin county.

This is NOT a suggestion but maybe a reason for cops behavior...most states another parent can actually take/leave with tye child for up to 6 weeks before its 'legally' considered kidnapping.
  • I can so sympathize with this situation..My husband and I are currently paying child support for "his" son ( I have my doubts) and also providing full coverage medical for the child. We live in California and the mother and son live in Colorado, She doesnt work and collect welfare and says that because her son has learning disabilities she can not work (BS). We have filed papers with the court to lower the support because we are paying the health insurance (voluntarily) and she WILL NOt let my husband see the child.!! We have asked many times to make arrangements for him to come to California and we will pay for the airfare and every time we are turned down. I think the thing that bothers me is that even tho we have made the efforts and made courts appearances she is allowed to not work and to sit on her butt and collect welfare and money from us, plus my husband is not even allowed to see him, my husband and I also have 2 kids and one more on the way that we support fully and she doesnt have to pay any bills cause she lives with her mom who supports her and we pay our bills and want to be apart of this childs life but are rejected!
  • @mommy2bfor4time you can actually have it lowered based on the children you and him have
  • I would just keep the baby next time. His rights are like hers with no custody agreement. That means he can just keep the baby until SHE takes him to court. She can call the cops but he doesn't have to give baby back with no agreement
  • I've had the same problems with my husbands ex as long as he pays child support and does what he needs to tell him to go to the courts and file an emergency hearing he shouldn't even ifneed a lawyer if she doesn't have a legit reason she can't hold him from the child
  • @mrs_shu thank you I am going to pursue that further! Good luck to all the others as well!!
  • @akmommy, if he tries that here in georgia he will go to jail. If they've never been married, he has no custodial rights until granted by the court. If they were married at any point, marriage automatically legitimizes the child and then yes, he'd have some rights. Otherwise, the mother has sole legal & physical custody of the child.