Stroller Frames vs Travel System

I'm trying to compare the two but I don't know anybody that has used the stroller frame. The stroller frame is the stroller that you just put the carseat in. I love that its lightweight but it also has a lower weight restriction than the travel system. My biggest issue is that I'm petitie and the thought of lugging around a travel system is overwhelming. Price wise they come out about the same.

Has anyone ever used the stroller frame or have any opinions on them?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have not tried the stroller frame but that's what I want/wanted! I'm also petite, and hate taking the big ol stroller in n out of the trunk. Not to mention I have a mazda5 so the stroller is gonna take pretty much all the trunk space. I've had the travel system. This time I had planned on getting the stroller frame but again I'm getting the travel system :\ if you plan on reselling it you'll get your money back (most of it anyway) than if you were to sell the carseat alone or even with the stroller frame. That's how we made our decision.
  • @firsttimemommytobe nope.. but you could get a lightweight stroller that reclines for about $60
  • Ugh I'm dreading the travel system too!
  • edited June 2011
    @firsttimemommytobe No. They can't grow with it. Once they're out of the carseat they're done with it. I talked to a couple friends who had the travel system and ended up buying umbrella strollers after the carseat stage anyway. They also have the frames that can fit the carseats that convert to a toddler seat so that's something else to consider.

@lily_glz I'm also trying to weigh the cost effectiveness. I know people don't like to buy used car seats. That's also why I figured if I got the frame and convertible carseat it would last longer and make more sense moneywise. When I did the math it wasn't much more in price to buy the frame, carseat, and then later the stroller.

My bf is all for the travel system. He likes that it grows with the baby and its all one purchase. But he's also 6'0, 200 something lbs. He won't have any problem lugging a travel system and probably won't use it as much as I do.

I'm also taking into consideration the weight of the carseat. With the frame you have more options with the carseat. With the travel system you have to get the one it comes with.
  • All of my friends that have kids have said that the travel frame is the way to go! Especially if you will be the one taking the baby out by yourself...its a lot lighter and easier to pull out of the trunk...just make sure you get one that is compatible with your car seat if that is the way you go..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm rethinking again! Lol.. I've been going back n forth. I would only sell if its in very good condition. Like on craigslist or ebay, people will buy. Some ppl can't afford new plus tax, my first sons carseat I got used.. now I want the frame.. ugh!! My husbands gonna kill me for being so indecisive lol
  • @ashley_smashley I think I've pretty much made my mind up in favor of the frame. I'm just trying to convince everyone around me (especially my Mom and BF). Its like all they know is the travel system. I wanted to ask here first because I've never used one and I wanted to make sure I had a case to plead.

I still don't know anything about the manueverability or durability but I'm just going to go to a store and try it out. Overall they have great reviews.
  • I pushed one around babys r us yesterday and they seem pretty manueverable...And they are priced pretty cheap (around $75) so you still could get a travel system that your baby could grow into and just keep the frame for you..that way your family gets what they want and you get what you want lol
  • @firsttimemommytobe So does my Mom! Lol. That's her biggest issue with the frame. She's going to be our primary babysitter so I'm trying to take her opinion into consideration as well. The umbrellas do look a little "chinchy" but there are other alternatives.

@lily_glz Tell me about it. I've been going back and forth about this for 2months now. At first I thought I was getting a buggaboo but my bf quickly shut that down. Lol. Now I just want something convenient.
  • @ashley_smashley That's actually not a bad idea. If I get frame that's compatible with the carseat that comes with the travel system it could work out really well. Then I can say "I told ya so" when they'd rather my the lighter, smaller frame. Lol
  • Im going with a travel system because you will get more use out of it!
    A stroller frame fits a carseat..well once the baby grows out of the carseat the frame is useless.. whereas with a travel system when the baby grows out of the carseat he or she can still fit in stroller for a pretty good amount of time
    On top of that you cannot sell used carseats but you can strollers so after you use the travel system you can at least get some money back by selling to a second hand store.. but since secondhand stores wont take carseats the stroller frame kinda is useless... you may b able to find a buyer but since u are not supposed to sell a carseat it will be hard.
    So I got a travel system ;)
  • Travel system for sure!!!
  • @jay_brad the stroller frame is seperate from the carseat...so as long as the person buying the frame has a compatible carseat then there isnt a problem selling the frame to them

@mommys1stbundle this is the one we are going with...lol I pushed it around the store and it was pretty smooth...people looked at me all kinds of crazy tho! And it folded pretty easily with one hand for me!
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2327597
  • edited June 2011
    I know that... but usually someone is going to buy the frame &carseat as a whole... its not like someone goes out &purchases a carseat then says OK lets go see if we can find a secondhand frame to match instead of getting the one that goes with it in the store... its too big of a hassle..that's why I said it would be hard making your money back on the frame... not impossible
    Where as with a stroller people are more willing to buy cause they do not need a second component to make the piece a whole .. @Ashley_smashley
  • @ashley_smashley Oh ok. You're getting the Baby Trend. I was looking at the Snug Rider only because I found a carseat I really liked that's the same brand. This is the carseat:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/prodpop.jsp?LargeImageURL=http://TRUS.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-7989624dt.jpg&displayTab=enh&productId=4245346&totCount=0

I'm not really concerned with resale as long as I get MY moneys worth. For me that includes my own convenience. The carseat I never expected to resell but I'm sure the frame would sell. As a matter of fact that makes me think. Maybe I should look on Craigslist to see if anyones selling a frame.
  • @jay_brad I think when you buy a stroller second hand the concept is going to be the same with both. If you get a second hand travel system you'll still have to buy the carseat new just like if you get a second hand frame.
  • OO gotcha! Ya that one was nice to, they were actually rated the same on babysrus.com I just prefered the way the other way folded. They both seemed pretty easy to push around tho.. Craigslist is a great idea for the frame...actually I am going to look now to! lol
  • And that carseat is super cute!
  • I'm on Craigslist all the time & everyday there's multiple postings for stroller frames. The Baby Trend frame fits just about any car seat. @jay_brad You can resell a car seat as long as it's not expired or recalled.
  • @ashley_smashley Thanks. Again I haven't actually tested either frame so it would come down to that but I'm trying to stay away from things that are to foo foo girly for my bf's sake. I thought he would appreciate the pink and black. Plus it got good reviews.
  • LoL I hear ya about staying away from to girlie stuff..I had that convo with my hubby before we found out what we were having...He requested that whatever I went with that it wasnt overly girlie for his sake..but we are having a boy..so he doesnt need to worry lol
  • I picked a travel system, since they cant grow wth them.
  • ^the snap n go
  • @mommy1stbundle great minds think alike cuz thqts the exact car seat I registered for ! :)
  • I have the first wheels with carrycot pushchair attachments and you can just affix a carseat to the frame and its so light and will last till baby can walk. I love it and would recommend it over a travel system any day also it looks so stylish.
  • @starkrayzie you are never supposed to buy a carseat second hand...expired or not because you don't know if carseat has been in wreck.. &stores will not buy used carseats at all.
  • I would go with frame. When baby out of car seat a nice lightweight stroller is all u need that way u avoid that bulky stroller I hate those!
  • I'm small as well and me and hubby spent hours in baby's r us looking at strollers. I pushed them around and practiced opening and closeing them. I decided on a three weel with trigger fold it was light weight and so easy. The stroller and car seat are baby trend and sold separately.but I'd say in weight and ease it would be inbetween the travel system and frame. Just a thought if you wanted to compromise!