Last name?

edited June 2011 in Single moms
So although me and the baby daddy/boyfriend are still hanging on by a thread there's only so much more I can take and I'm about done. If were not married obviously what last nane should the baby have? I don't know all tge facts and legal matters but really need some help. What name are you other single mommy's giving your little one?

Comments

• From what I have gathered it depends on your state what last name you give the baby.
  • You can give the baby any last name you want. It doesn't even have to be yours. It can be a random name you just made up. Seriously. Name the baby after me. :P
  • I'm pretty sure you can name your baby whatever you want to name him/her. I'm engaged, but even prior to becoming engaged I planned on giving my son his daddy's last name.
  • I gave my little girl my last name. He lives 5 hours away. I barely know him and not sure how big of a role he's going to play in her life.
  • @salsabia if you don't mind me asking if the baby has your last name then does he even have to be on the birth certificate? What is different about the baby having my name or his? . . any?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @murphy89 That's exactly where I'm coming from too. All he can talk about is child support this and losing his freedom that but I know I'm the parent that will be there no matter what so I feel like the baby should have my last name.
  • @murphy89 That's exactly where I'm coming from too. All he can talk about is child support this and losing his freedom that but I know I'm the parent that will be there no matter what so I feel like the baby should have my last name.
  • @Fate Thanks for the good laugh!
  • Just and FYI a birth certificate is not a binding document!!
  • Darn straight! @lilbabythree
  • @lilbabythree hopefully this doesn't sound stupid but what do you mean?
  • I'M NAMING MY SON AFTER ME
  • Im having the same issue...i want the baby to have my last name...bd has not been apart. I was thinking about doing both names but nope
  • That because u put the babys father of the bc does not mean u have to put his last name on it. It doesn't bind u to put the babys fathers last name as the babys last name.
  • edited June 2011
    @lilbabythree Thanks for the advice it was helpful. :)
  • Giving My Daughter Her Fathers Last Name
  • When i had my son in ca 4yrs ago me and his dad were not martied and for him to javr his fathrrs last name we bother had to sign a declaration of paternaty saying he's the father and we want out son to have his last name. I couldn't pick any name i wanted it was either my last name or the declaration of paternaty
  • From personal experience I would say your last name. I gave my son his dads last name and I hugely regret it. It was a big mistake that I deeply want to take back.
  • edited June 2011
    At first I was going to give him his fathers last name and since my 3 yr old daughter has my last name, I would hyphenate my last name when I got married so both my kids would have my last name but then started thinking what if we don't ever get married because we've been having problems in our relationship for months. I decided against hyphenating our sons last name so I told my fiance (now ex fiance) that if he wants our son to share his middle name then I want him to have my last name. He wasn't happy about it because he really wanted our son to have his last name but we aren't married and won't be married when our son is born so he really didn't have a choice. I really don't care for his middle name (Asby) that he will share with his father but I decided to compromise. Now both my kids will have my last name.
  • My name is hyphenated with both my parrents names and it has been a pain in the butt my whole life. Just stick with the mamas
  • Having been going w too much w the bd. I am def giving Mya my last name and we are no longer getting married. He's going to be so mad when he fnds out. Lol.
  • So I went through this 7 years ago, I had my son and his Bd was not around I could have given him any last name I wanted but I choose to go with mine. Now as far as being on the birth certificate it doesn't matter if you are married or not if you put the Bd on the certificate he has to sign it. In my case I didn't put him on the birth certificate at all. It makes it hard to get child support or anything from the Bd if he is not on the certificate because then you could have to go a prove paternity. I wish you luck it is not an easy decision but do what you feel is right don't listen to what everyone is telling you!
  • My son will have my last name but a friend told me i should give the baby his last name until child support is established then change it.
  • @dncrcass. I've heard after paternity is established he can request to be added to th e birth cert and for the childs last name to be changed. Do you know if this is true?
  • I used my last name for my son. My ex (which isn't in my sons life) did sign the birth certificate and when he did that they also had him sign an acknowledgment of paternity paper also. Child support doesn't care what the babys last name is. My daughter will have my bfs last name and when we get married and he adopts my son well all have the same last name. As far as I know if the guy signs the birth certificate he also has to sign an acknowledgement of paternity also.
  • aug5baby Depending on the state that is true but its only a request that has to be heard through the courts. Unless you agreed with the request but if you contest it then a court will decide the outcome much like a child support hearing and more often then not he has to be the one to initiate that and be responsible for the court fees if you are against it.