pregnancy and litter ?

edited June 2011 in Pregnant
ok i have a kitten,and usually my oldest daughter changes it because im pregnant and i have heard your not supposed to change litter while pregnant. well she is at her papaws for the week,and the litter needs to be changed,is it very dangerous for me to do it myself? i have no one else to do it for me. i asked my friends and family and they didnt know,except one friend who told me it was deadly for me and baby to be around litter.......does anyone know about this? (tried callin my dr office and they said nobody was available to answer my question.

Comments

• yeah it can be dangerouse.. just look it up.. invite someone you know you could talk into it.. and if they argue or dont believe you than just show them proof.. lol.. they will be forced into it..
  • Im going to try and google it.. Iam goinh though the same situation. If I find an anseer I will let you know
  • Have a friend do it if possible if not Open ur windows or take it out side,,, ware gloves, and a mask of some kind,,, and wash ur hands and arms really good
  • On baby center its says it can be dangerous. That someone else should do it for us. But if you have to make sure you wear gloves, wash gloves and hands afterwards
  • edited June 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If you have always had cats, you are mostly already exposed too and immune to the bacteria? That causes toxoplasmosis. If you were gloves, wash your hands, ect, you should be fine to do it occasionally.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Being a cat lover I can tell you it I not recommended but if you have to please wear gloves and some kind of face mask to prevent you breathing in the amonnia in the cat pee. Also wash you hand PROPERLY once finished. I use a cat liner in my litter tray so I only touch the bag and don't have to wash the tray out. X
  • ah crap im screwed! a have a cat and i garden!!
  • thank all of you for your advice. i feel much better now. but will try to have someone else do it when possible. just hard to when my husband is gone mon-fri at work. :) thank you guys so much
  • I heard most cat owners build an immunity to it. I would still wear gloves and wash hands after. You should be fine.
  • i definately will just to be safe,thanks! :)
  • I changed it with my first pregnancy and now as well, I wear gloves and a face mask. And wash my hands once finished.