Confused about U/S

I know that they use them for a number of different reasons at different stages during pregnancy...
(usually before) 14 weeks - live fetus/how many; chromosomal abnormalities
(after) 18 weeks + - monitoring organ systems; baby's overall growth and development.
30 weeks, Onward - Baby's overall growth; blood flow in the umbilical cord; baby's position
It's also possible to see the placement of the placenta and things like that...at certain stages.

I've always thought that U/S were the only way that doctors could (quickly, easily) check on the baby regularly. A lady made a comment today, during a birthing class, that caught my attention...Somehow, the topic of U/S came up and she stated that her doctor only does an U/S to confirm pregnancy and again at 20 weeks, as long as the baby is okay. That her last U/S would be the day of her delivery, to ensure that baby was head down. If they aren't doing U/S to check on the baby regularly, what other tests/information can they use to determine the well-being of the baby. This was the first time that I had heard of doctors only doing ONE scan after the confirmed pregnancy. I thought that it was interesting and in no way am I questioning whether or not she was telling the truth, I'm just curious as to how they monitor the baby without regular scans, because I get U/S every other doctor's appointment...which averages about 1 U/S a month, right now...

ALSO ---- I know this may seem a little odd, but a friend of mine is expecting a baby in August. A few weeks ago, she mentioned that her doctor stated that there was TOO MUCH blood flowing through the umbilical cord...
Worrying about everything possible, I began researching the situation to see what could cause it; I came up empty handed, as did my MIL-to-Be...All we could find was information on NOT ENOUGH blood flowing through the cord. Has anyone heard of too much?? What causes it??

Thanks Ladies! Ya'll have been SOOOO much help throughout this pregnancy. I know I ask too many questions, sometimes, but ya'll have been awesome help!

Comments

• Idk about the too much blood going thru the umbilical cord...but my docs only do 2 u/s (1 to confirm, 1 for anatomy) unless they're concerned about something. I'm not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed. I like seeing my little man :) the dr said to me on tues they don't do an u/s for position closer to birth, which I don't get, but whatevs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I only got a third ultrasound last time because they couldn't tell externally whether she was head down. If everything is fine at your anatomy scan, there isn't much else that can go wrong that an u/s can detect. They listen for hb at every appt.
  • I was the same 1 to confirm and my last was @21w for anatomy. I will get one wed. If I'm still overdue by then. Today was my dd.
  • I had an u/s at 10w,12w,20w,(had remy to hospital at 28w had one) and I will get one at 32w. All u/s were normal! Not high risk!

But Idk about the other thing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • With #1, he was breech and cord wrapped twice around his neck .... i had one every appointment...#2 only had the first at 8 wks to confirm and 20 weeks for anatomy we asked nicely at the hospital to verify he was head down. ... the nurse loved me so she said anything i wanted!
  • I only get 2... and the second one the tech was an ass and didn't let me see him.
  • So, does the number of U/S that you get depend more on your doctor or the # of U/S that your insurance will cover?
  • I know that my insurance only covers up to 3 unless there r medical reasons for more. My OB usually just does one at 10-11 wks & one @ 20 wks.
    Docs get a lot of info from ur urine, BP, palpation, & ur weight. Plus doppler confirms baby has appropriate heart rate.
    When u r close to delivery, doc should b able to tell positioning pretty well just by palpating ur belly.
  • I also only got 1 to date the pregnancy,1 at 19 weeks for anatomy, and because I am having a repeat csection they will do 1 more to insure baby is rdy to be delivered
  • With my first 2 pregnancies, I had at least 4-5 u/s, including a 3D u/s. I lived in GA at the time (I live in NC now). With my current pregnancy, I had one at 8 wks and another at 18 wks. My OB won't do another one unless I'm having major complications, which is highly unlikely. They also don't do a cervical exam for dilation/effacement until 39 weeks! WTH?! I'm used to getting them starting at 36wks and then weekly after that. I asked for one at my last appt (34wks); lied and told them I was having some cramping. That's when they told me about normally waiting until 39 wks. That is so weird to me.

Anyway, I'm rambling! :) I just really wish I could see his face before he gets here. But I guess I'll be extra motivated to push him out!
  • The .number of u/s went by my doctors office @monkeysmommy2011
  • I get mines every month
  • It depends on both. Some dr's like to do u/s and will if your insurance will let them.
  • @monkeysmommy2011 Yes Its True I Only Have Had 1 Scan Also They Only Do Another If Its An Emergency
  • Goodness. I didn't realize that most women only got one or two during their whole pregnancy. I've gotten 3 and one emergency scan, so far and am scheduled for #4 on Wednesday. I don't know if that's based on my insurance or the fact that I have low amniotic fluid and PIH, which puts me as "High Risk"...So far, there haven't been any concerns about the baby's well-being; his heart rate is good, my measurements are good...I didn't realize that so few was what's considered "normal" though...!!
  • I've actually had a whole bunch this time, my 8 week scan and then one at 11 and 16 weeks that my dr didn't charge to my insurance since we were just looking for a heartbeat. Then my reg 20 week and then I'll have another at 24 weeks, because we didn't get enough pics at my 20 week one. If you are considered high risk or the dr says your scans are medically necessary, then you get more from your insurance too.