What's a good online college?

edited June 2011 in Current Events
I've been attending a local college in my area, but after I deliver my baby, I'm not sure how my schedule will be. My focus was dental hygiene, but I think I want to change my major to Healthcare Administration/Management. I was talking to an advisor at Kaplan University, but after reading reviews on that school, I'm starting to change my mind. Their tuition is crazy high and I also read that their credits weren't transferable. I also heard some not so good reviews about Phoenix University. Does anyone know of any "good" online schools?

Comments

• @Nova .... Is it a pretty good school? Do you like it?
  • @Nova ....thanks....I'll check them out :-D
  • Stay away from Kaplan. Hubby tried it and I would watch the "class chat" for criminal justice and frankly it seemed like a giant joke to me.
  • @mrs_shu ...I'm still online reading the reviews for them and they are horrible!!! They do have "some" good ones, but the bad ones are scaring me away!!!
  • its a better idea to see if your local college has classes you can take online toward your major. Those online schools are mostly a scam.
  • @armywife3 focus on the bad ones lol also stay away from medvance. Don't know if they offer online but his ex did it and after it was all said and done discovered nothing was transferable and most dr offices looked upon it as a joke.
  • @laura536 ...yeah...I noticed that with a lot of them, your credits aren't transferable, which sucks. That was definately one of my options. The school I currently attend has the online option, but it seems like the instructors are overworked, underpaid, and could care less if you graduated or not.... #:-s
  • I'm going to university of phoenix right now, doing online courses fo healthcare administration/management. I like it a lot so far.
  • @mrs_shu ...I read one review where a lady was saying her degree was frowned upon and one employee even told her that her degree was as worthless as the paper it was written on....I can't imagine how she must've felt after putting in all that hard work
  • That's what happens with online schools too. I read about it a few weeks ago an article on Ashford College, I think. The recruiters push and encourage you into signing up, because apparently you HAVE to pay back student, loans, and once you finish the first round of courses, you never hear from them again. They boards that hand out accreditation aren't recognized by actual schools so the degree you get isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Maybe see how a semester at your current college goes, are there tutors or study groups available if you get in over your head?
  • @jazzi89 ...I have a friend that attends Phoenix and she's always complaining about how much she owes in loans. She graduated last year with her associates in psychology and she can't find a job. She's now attending to get her bachelor's, but she's constantly complaining about her loans. I have aid from my husbands benefits, but my fear is that their tuitions is so high, will I have to take out a loan and will I eventually be in the same boat as her, paying back loans and unable to find a job?? I am still considering them, but I need to research them a little more...
  • @laura536 ...yeah there are people available, but I haven't found them to be much help. I actually have to have study groups with a friend of mine that lives an hour away if I need help. The school I attend is waaay to overcrowded and overworked. Other colleges in the area don't offer the degree I'm going for so I'm pretty much stuck with this one unless I can find an online school which isn't looking too promising
  • I believe Capella is pretty good. I took a class there towards my MBA about 2 years ago, then I became indecisive about a major/emphasis and stopped. But I never had any problems with them and my advisor was very nice.
  • @mya218 ...thanks...I'll check them out too :)
  • The other option would be to call potential employers or talk to people in the field and see what colleges are legit and if they hire people with online degrees. I don't know anyone who has gotten an online degree and is working in that field. My sister did paralegal through phoenix 2 yrs ago and she's still working at kmart. But I don't know if she's really applying for jobs or not, she's real secretive about it.
  • @armywife ya idk I like them better then some of the others I've looked at. And mine aren't that bad of loans. I already have a job lined up at the hospital after my daughter is born for an internshit. I guess its different for everyone.
  • I would check out the university your closest too, so you get in state tuition and take their online courses. The credits are transferable and much cheaper than schools that are just online. I do it this way and it's much better :)
  • @laura536 ...thanks I will try that out.. @jazzi89 I'm going to look back into them. I checked them out last year, but I don't remember why I didn't go with them

Thanks ladies ;;)
  • edited June 2011
    @AKmommy ...I submitted an admissions application for a local university last week so now I'm waiting for previous schools to send them my transcripts....hopefully I hear some good news...thanks
  • I went to Devry and they had some.online courses. I have to say I do owe a lot in student loans. I would.check out your local community college and see what they offer online. Most offer online courses now.
  • @Jess510 ...I am currently attending a community college and they are horrible!!! I'm still "shopping" around though....thanks :-D
  • I do University of Phineox online.