elective c-cection vs natural

edited June 2011 in Just for Fun
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2008130/Why-Posh-right-push-Caesareans-dangerous-natural-births.html

This seems a bit off to me. That a ccection is just as healthy for baby as natural birth. Anyone else have an opinion on the topic?

Comments

• I'm not a doctor, but I think that c sections are a pretty healthy way to give birth. I really, really don't want one because I don't want to have an incision to take care of and since this baby will probably be my only child, I want to experience a natural vaginal delivery. Ideally, c sections should only be done in life threatening situations and that's the only way I'd have one. The fact is, babies are born healthy and safely via c section. I'm of the belief that if my body can do this on its own, why not? I'm built for it and I'm confident that I can do this my way ;)
  • I think women should do research themselves and not just rely on everything their OB says. If its medically necessary, get a c section. But I don't like how they push it on women and misinform them.
  • edited June 2011
    My thinking is that when the babe gets squeezed through the birth canal it would help with all the fluids and such. Pushing them in a puddle like a tube of toothpaste so the babys body didn't have to work so hard to transition to air. That may sound a little crazy on paper but it makes sense in my head lol
  • The risks of csections r numerous but there is so much info.to sift.thru. here's another link.comparing vbac to multiple csections.
    www.givingbirthwithconfidence.org/2-2/a-womans-guide-to-vbac/weighing-the-pros-and-cons/
  • What you said is right @beaded_bunny there is a slightly higher risk of babys born by c-section needing oxygen when they are born because they aren't pushed through the birth canal which squeezes the mucous stuff out their lungs. I have looked into this a lot as I had an emergency c-section with my 1st and am looking to do a vbac with this one. I'm lucky to have a doctor who positively encouraged it and has given me a lot of confidence. There are risks with both which are pretty scary but I put my trust in the people looking after me
  • I can't remeber the comedian but one said once.

"I don't think being born c-section effected me much, but when I leave the house i use the window instead of the door."
  • Like @VictoriaB said, I'm not doctor, but I think that there can be pros and cons to both a c-section & a vaginal delivery. Vaginal deliveries can have a number of issues; baby's heart rate can drop, his/her oxygen can be cut off, the cord can prolapse or be crushed while the baby is coming down the birth canal, etc. Cesarean deliveries also have their risks. Most risks occur in the 36% of women who schedule their c-section before the suggested 30 week mark, which makes the baby more likely to spend time in NICU, have infections and develop respiratory distress. Researchers say that elective c-sections are safest for the baby when scheduled between 39 and 41 weeks for the safest possibly point for delivery"; they suggest, however that women KNOW the risks before opting to have an elective c-section.
    Here's some pros and cons that I found on each:

Vaginal Delivery:

Pros: Less risk of hemorrhage, damage to internal organs and infections in the mother; Less risk of respiratory problems for the baby; Baby potentially less likely to develop allergies, asthma, or lactose intolerance

Cons: Fear of childbirth can cause maternal distress; Risk of oxygen deprivation to baby due to cord compression or problems during delivery; Risk of perineum tearing; Risk of additional trauma to baby when passing through birth canal, or from forceps or vacuum extraction; Risk of pelvic organ prolapse after delivery (uterus, bladder, or bowel protrudes into the vaginal canal, causing discomfort and possible incontinence).

Cesarean Delivery:

Pros: Can be more convenient for a woman and reduce her stress about anticipation of labor; Possible decreased risk of incontinence; Reduced risk of oxygen deprivation to baby during delivery; Reduced risk of birth trauma to baby sometimes sustained from passing through birth canal, or from forceps or vacuum extraction.

Cons: Rare: Possible infant injury when the doctor makes the uterine incision; Risk of damage to the mother's bowels and/or bladder; Risk of complications from anesthesia; Slightly higher mortality rate for the mother; Twice the risk of infant mortality; In later pregnancies, risks to the mother increase, whether she delivers by VBAC or cesarean.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3291512&page=1

Hope this helps.!!! :)

• @ll10 lol...the window Teehee

I had to vaginal births and tomorrow I was suppose to be induced (cause I'm past 41wks) but they found out she's breech and they scheduled csection...I'm scared
  • I had an elective section last tuesday which was the 14th and am back to my old self..no pain meds no issue..it worked for me to each their own.
  • @il10 that is hilarious... not like I should talk seeing as I was born by c section (my sister was as well). I know my mom was heartbroken to have us by c section b/c she was preparing to have me vaginally and she was told with my younger sister that since I was born by c section, my sister had to be also. That was in the late 70s ('79) though. I think it is good that is not being said nowadays.