signing over rights?

edited June 2011 in Single moms
My bd wants to sign over custody. I find it really sad that he openly wants nothing to do with his own child but I guess its better that he let me know now then him leaving after my daughter already gets attached. So I wanted to know if he signs over his rights can I still get child support from him?

Comments

• Yes u can, and should! If that was the case every jerk father would do it to get out of helping.
  • Thankyou that's good to know cause I don't want to be in this totally alone without any support.
  • Yes you will still get child support...after my baby is born I am going to have to go through the same process....it makes me sad to think my baby daddy doesn't want nothing to do with our baby and its both of ours first baby. Good luck with everything I am actually going to talk to a lawyer within the next month
  • I kno! U shouldn't be either! Most men step up without having to be ordered. It's a shame a lovable child has to struggle bc some are cheat a_holes!
  • Do it now. Some men change after their mind after baby is born. You might as well get it on paper now. You can still our him in child support.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree with @Mama_Kat. Every state is different.
  • My daughters father signed over his rights before she was born and like mamakat said he has no financial obligation either
  • Really? Crazy state laws. I don't know much about state aid with court support. I think the only way a man shouldn't pay if the mom wants rights taken away and says she can do it without his help.
  • Yes here in vegas if he signs over his rights you will receive child support, but you have the 50% chance later on in life he can reopen the case and get his rights back. If you terminate his rights like I did with my daughter he will have nothing to do with her but you will not get child support. Its best if you go to your local family court and find out what laws you state has.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I knew I wasn't alone with having my baby daddy wanting nothing to do with our child too, but it still sucks andyiu still feel alone. The one person you should be enjoying this experience with isn't around and its depressing. I wish you ladies luck with whatever decisions are made
  • There is a difference between signing over rights and signing over custody. If he signs over custody you can still get child support. But if he signs over his rights and you agree (you have to agree) then he will no longer have any financial obligation to the child.
  • he probably thinks he wont have to pay child support.. but i always thought that if you sign off you dont get any support.. i wouldnt let him get out of it.. financialy.. cause im sure thats his intention.. the least the jerk can do is pay child support.. what an ass.. cant stand men who dont take responsibility for there children.. not to mention the fact that they are going to miss out on the best thing that even happends to us in life.. some men discust me.. ugh.
  • yes signing over rights and signing over custody two very difrent things if he signs over his right he had no financial obligations to that child but he can sign over full and permint custody to you and still pay chils suport
  • Depends on the state, in cali, if he signs over rights he still has to pay. So it all depends. Talk to a lawyer in your area to fnd out exactly