so i have my colpo today

edited June 2011 in October 2011
And I'm a bit nervous I will admit, two previous prenatal visit ago my doctor told me my pap results came back slightly abnormal and she explained what the colpo would be for to check the cells around my cervix with a microscope. I had had sexual intercourse the day before my pap so I wondered if that had been the reason for my abnormal result. Hoping for the best its scary being told that esp while pregnant.

Comments

• Idk but they always say no sex 48 hours before a pap so could be.
  • I had abnormal cells but they did not do a colposcopy this time. Because of the cramping it can cause, I thought they waited until after the pregnancy?
  • Good luck cause it hurts.
  • I had the colposcopy at 14 weeks. It was uncomfortable, but I also had a yeast infection at the time, which of course made the vinegar they use burn like crazy.. I had a little spotting after but no cramping. Good luck!
  • Well since I am pregnant they can't remove any samples from my cervix because of the risks involved, all they will be doing is just taking a better look to see if the abnormal cells still appear. I believe sex had a thing to do with it so I made sure this time around I didn't part-take in any sexual activity until I find out what's going on. I'm not nervous about any pain during a colpo, its pretty much just like a pap so its whatever. @potato @jess510
  • @kello29 does the vinegar solution hurt overall tho? Ewk! I need to get this over with already! !!
  • I was supposed to have one early in my pregnancy too but the doc who was supposed to do it refused to since I was pregnant, my obgyn said she would do it but I chose to wait after birth since the first doctor who refused to do it scared me.
  • @excitedforoctober yeah I am also a bit nervous I know a biopsy is when they actually remove a sample of your cervix and that's what can be risky I know I'm not having that done just a colpo which is just when the docs use a small magnifying object to take a better look at the cells in your cervix no removing is done tho that would have to be done after birth.
  • I have heard that it is way worse if you have a yeast infection.. I have only had it done once.. They did find some abnormal cells but they will not do a biopsy while I am pregnant.. So they said I will have to wait until after baby is born to have another one. Sorry I am not much help..
  • And imo it didnt really hurt, it burned some, just uncomfortable.
  • @kello29 no it does help because I was curious to know if some women ever had a biopsy done while pregnant and that's what I'm afraid of, so after your colpo they discovered your cells were still abnormal? I know if that's the case the next step would be a biopsy after you have the baby.
  • They told me that they still saw a very small area of abnormal cells but also said not to worry because it was so small and normally the cells go away after baby comes, and also my infection could have made it look abnormal.. They will do a pap first after baby comes and if still abnormal they will do a biopsy.. waiting to have the test was so hard, very scary.. Hope everything goes ok for you.. Keep me updated!
  • I had a biopsy done while I was 12 weeks pregnant.
  • @kello29 I will surely keep you updated, how far along are you now? I just turned 25 weeks yesterday, my obgyn did mention that the possibility of the cells leaving on their own during birth is also very common. I hope having sex the day before my pap is what caused that abnormal result it is def nerve wrecking! Did they give you your results right after you had your colpo done or did you have to wait a few days?
  • @JnetteP thats what my obgyn ordered, to just look with the magnifying thing but he still refused since I was pregnant
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My doctor told me what she saw right away.. Since they could not do biopsy I did not have to wait for results. I am 20 weeks..
  • I actually had one done at 16wks. They even did a very tiny biopsy, cause the dr didn't like the way it looked. I actually had no cramping or pain afterwards...just a little brown spotting. I had abnormal paps 2yrs in a row so that's went they did it. Everything came back fine though. I was super nervous to have it done, but I am glad I did. No more worrying. I am 25wks now.
  • I had one done. It was fine. My Dr said abnormal paps are common in pregnancy. It wasn't too bad. I didn't have a biopsy BC I was preggo tho
  • Hey Ladies! Well I got back from my colpo appointment and it wasn't that bad at all, seems whatever abnormal cells might of appeared before are no longer there so I guess my sexual encounter the day before my papsmere is what caused my abnormal result, I'm so relieved I was worried for so long! So now I am good no more paps for me until after I deliver my babyboy in October!