Baby Name Troubles

Originally, we were going to name the baby Christopher Scott --- after his Daddy. Although I like the idea, I CRINGE at the thought of someone calling my child "Junior"...and people are already doing it, just because they think it's funny. I've kindly asked people not to refer to him as "Junior" but they think it's hilarious to do it anyway and are determined that they will be calling him that after he's born. I really want to keep the name Christopher because it was my dad's name as well. I lost my Dad when I was 16 to Pancreatic Cancer, so naming my little one after him is something that's important to me....and it works out well, since the BD's name is Christopher, too....
I'm seriously reconsidering giving him his Daddy's middle name, though. I just don't know how to bring the topic up without offending anyone or seeming like I'm being petty about things. There's a REALLY good reason that I cringe when someone refers to my little one as "Junior" and they're not going to stop...
I was thinking about Christopher Paiton-Alexander instead of Christopher Scott; I know, it's really long --- but they're all family names (mine and his). Any suggestions on how to EASILY break the topic of changing the baby's name???

Comments

• Go with your Dad's middle name. Makes life easier and no one can call him jr. anyway, that's just annoying. Just tell your husband. He might be more understanding than you would think.
  • I know how you feel. I named my son Victor because I loved the name but I hate the nickname Vic. Everyone insisted on calling him Vic and I constantly had to correct them. When he was a baby and they asked to come over and see Vic I would tell them I didn't know a Vic and play stupid until they said Victor. Luckily my son caught on and was soon correcting people. Once he could talk of course. Eight years later he is still Victor. Unfortunately I have to repeat the process with my baby girl Lilium, who is not Lily. We are allowing Lila, but when we say that they normally say "okay, Lilium then" like Lila Is a swear word or something. I don't know why but I win either way so I'm happy.
  • You could always make a onesie up that says "I'm not a Junior, I'm my own person. " or something along those lines and have him wear it around the most common offenders until they get the point.
  • @conreeaght That would be one worn out onesie. Poor kid... :-S
  • My little brother is a junior but nobody really calls him that. Maybe once in a while. I always called him Mr. Wee and that nickname caught on. Now that he's 13 I just call him Paulie.

That's annoying when people go out of their way to piss you off like that. I like conreeaght's idea :D
  • @blueberrysmom
    True, but it is an idea if dad insists on the name. Make a Baker's dozen ;) but I do agree with you about asking daddy first.
  • @conreeaght Yeah. He's gong to need a bunch because everyone's going to think they're so clever calling him jr. Too bad people won't just listen and not call baby that. Ugh!
  • Maybe do Christopher Scott-yourdadsmiddlename.. that way you're honoring your hubby and your father, and no one can call him junior..
  • Aren't they going to still call him junior as long as they have the same first name. Just asking. I think if they know you don't like it and their doing it anyways.
  • @mom60511 Christopher wasn't meant to be after his Dad...my Dad's name was Christopher --- he passed away when I was 16. It just happened to work out that is Dad's name is the same. I'm sure someone will still do it just to annoy me, but I'll be QUICK to shut them down!
  • OK that's what I was trying to say. Some people have no respect and have to push your buttons. Personally I think they are than asking for a throat punch lol
  • @mom60511 lol! I thought that's what you were saying but my pregnant brain is having some processing issues :p
    People are already pushing my buttons in terms of my pregnancy in general and they do it thinking that I won't react; I try to be respectful but sometimes, I just can't do it!!
  • I hate when people call me something other than my name.
    On my birth certificate, my name is Jessica --- not Jess and not Jessie. When people call me Jessie, I simply ignore them until they get it right. If my mother wanted people to call me Jess/Jessie she would have made it my name. I guess I get annoyed to easily.

Junior, to me, though --- that's a HUGE issue. I had some pretty scary run-ins with my uncle when I was younger...his name was Junior. He was abusive to anyone and everyone because he was on drugs...he was crazy!!! When I was 13, he took things a little too far and ended up in jail for inappropriately touching a child. Sorry, but I honestly think if people have the nerve to call him Junior, because they think it's funny,
    I'm going to pull a @blueberrysmom & give them a swift punch in the throat --- Just because I "think it's funny"... :p
  • edited June 2011
    It's not you it's me I am having a hard time saying anything and not have it come out sounding like I'm being a b***ch.
  • I think no matter how upset you get about them calling him junior there are some who are still going to do it. When we named our oldest Jordyn we didnt want her to be called Jo, I have lots of family members with Joe as their name and i didn't want them to think she was named after them cause shes not. But we still had people call her that no matter how many times i corrected them. Now that shes old enough, she has decided she likes being called Jo(go figure).
  • @mom60511 I don't think your comments sounded negative. (: I have to admit, I was all for the throat-punch idea :p

@surprisenumber3 haha. Of course, all that time you spent correcting them, SHE likes it :p I can't imagine ANYONE wanting to be called "Junior" but that's just my opinion. I really think that I'm just going to (privately) discuss the issues and concerns that I have with Hubby-to-Be and make a choice from there. This baby isn't coming outta their body, he's coming out of mine. There's NOT going to be people fighting over his name. Not only is it immature but I think they're stepping over some boundaries that they DON'T want to cross with me...
    (:
  • Christopher paiton alexander flows really good!
  • I understand where u r coming from..my 1st son would have been the 4th Philip so we changed middle name to my fathers ...so he is still Philip but at least not Jr or 4th lol. But no one every revered to him (possibly) being " Jr" they call him the other annoying one " lil" Phil which gets on my nerves ...his name is Philip! His dad is Phil...his teachers calls him Phil n I hate it ...but guess it could be worse. Just the junior n little get on nerves....they are their own person n will get a nickname soon enough one way or another......
    My son Wyatt who I love his name to the core we barely call him Wyatt:...its always been Wiggle ...sounds weird I know ...5 years of wig/ wiggle. He will even say I am wyatt...but that is what we always cslled him for wiggle wobbles...n my daughter phoenix we always cal fifi ...sounds like dog...but I just hate the little Jr bs from others
    Best luck on your final name choice
  • Our family did the same thing to us while I was pregnant. We named our little guy Charles. And he was to go by Charlie. I was totally against Chuck, but some of the family thought it'd be fun to go ahead and call him Chuck just to get under my skin. But since he's been born he's only been known as Charlie. Or Charlie Barley. :) So it could just be that they are messing with you. Just keep making verble threats if you really want that name don't let them stop you.
  • The whole idea of someone calling my son "Junior" makes me want to drop kick them to Mars (: that's all there is to it. Over the past few days, I've had several people ask
    "When will Junior be here" and I kindly replied, "I'm sorry, I don't know who Junior is. I've never met him before." This absolutely makes them want to scream; they get so mad, and all I can do is try not to laugh.
    Hubby-to-Be is trying to have "Lil' Chris" tattooed on his arm for the baby --- it's NOT happening. I can't stand that crap, either. It's like my son can't be his own person; everyone associates him to his Daddy and it's simply NOT fair to him. Over the past few days, I've seriously thought about completely changing his name...(: that way, there's no issues, what-so-ever!

Thanks, Ladies!