Type 1 diabetes

edited June 2011 in Health
Is there any other ladies out there with type 1 diabetes? When were you diagnosed? How are you managing your diabetes during pregnancy? Do you have any complications? (sorry I am nosy and curious)

I am Julie and I am 33. I was diagnosed with IDDM when I was 15 years old. I am 23 weeks pregnant with our 3rd and last baby. I have been using a minimed paradigm revel 523 insulin pump for over 5 years now (I was pregnant with my daughter when I started using the pump again after using a much older version in high school). I am checking my blood sugar at least 12 times a day but it has gone up to 24 one day because my blood sugar was low like 5 times that day. I had my fetal echocardiogram last week and this baby is looking very heart healthy. My first born (6 1/2 year old boy) had a congenital heart defect that we found out about through a fetal echo at about 26 weeks. He had heart surgery when he was 8 months old. He has multiple other birth defects as well. They don't know or can't specifically tie any of them to the fact that I have diabetes. I have no other complications from my diabetes.

I am interested to see if there are any other type 1 mommies out there!

Comments

• Wow, no other type 1 moms or moms to be out there?
  • @juliek77 Hey I am also type 1. I have been since I was 12 and will be 31 next month. I am now in the animas ping pump but was previously on the minimed one. This is my second pregnancy my son was perfectly healthy, however my first pregnancy was horrid. I totalled my car because my sugar dropped so drastically I passed out, then I was hospitalized for 6 weeks because of over caution. I was put on bedrest at 23 weeks! Worth it in the end though. I am 21 weeks now with another boy and this pregnancy has been better, howeM
    ver I get extend lows and now I have no symptoms when its happening. I'm sure y
  • @juliek77 Im also type 1, Im 19 years old and have only had it for a year and half. I dont use a pump im on a novalog pen and take my long lasting every morning through a syringe... This is my first pregnancy and everything with my baby boy seems to be going perfectly fine so far. They said that hes a little bit on the big side and that I need to watch my sugars more but idk how much more I can watch them if im checking 14 times a day if not more and I'm constantly running low, Im worried that my baby is going to have problems due to me having diabetes but I'm trying my best to keep it under complete control.
    Im 26 weeks due October 3rd... Nice to know that someone else out there is going through what I am and I also agree @enh0603 that i would give anything to take that one single gluclose test instead or even just have gestational diabetes so it would be gone once I deliverd.. lol
  • @enh0603 and @ariels1stbaby, so nice to meet you both! I was beginning to think I was the only type 1 here! It is nice to know that there are others out there. I am with you ladies on the GD thing. I feel for anyone who is diagnosed with any kind of diabetes and I want to be there for anyone who needs help or has questions but when all I hear is complaints about how much it sucks to check your blood sugar 4 times a day, I want to scream! I check my blood sugar at least 7-10 times a day when I am not pregnant and I get to keep this stupid disease after I deliver the baby. Again, I want to help but sometimes I just want to shake the ones that complain and say at least you get to get rid of it! Done venting!

@enh0603, sorry your 1st pregnancy was so rough. I haven't ever had an easy pregnancy. With my 2 older kids, I ended up in the hospital between 13-15 weeks because my blood sugars just went crazy. With my daughter, I started measuring large at about 20 weeks. I had a lot of extra amniotic fluid which they said was probably from my diabetes and that I needed to control it better. It eventually evened out some but I was always huge. She was born at 35 weeks and weighed 6 lbs 10 oz so she was a big girl for that early. I sometimes get no symptoms with lows as well. When I wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning low is when I feel it the most but sometimes I will be 45-50 and not feel a thing. That is definitely scary. I am due on Oct 21 but probably won't go that far because both of my kiddos were born at 35 weeks and a couple days.

@ariels1stbaby, this must be a huge change for you being newly diagnosed and pregnant. I am glad everything looks good with your baby. I wouldn't worry about him measuring a little large right now because when they measure weight on an ultrasound it can be pretty far off. Just keep on top of the blood sugars and thats about all you can do. I know it is hard not to worry about having a baby with defects or problems and complications especially being a diabetic and all the fear that everyone puts in you but most women have perfectly healthy babies. The fact that my son has so many medical issues can't even be directly linked to my diabetes.

Where do you both live? Are you seeing a perinatalogist? Anyway, glad to meet you ladies again!