34wks=SAFE?

I went to my high risk dr the other day and was told something strange. Well every time i go he checks my cervix. Im currently 24wks. He said once i hit 34wks he will no longer check my cervix. He said if i go into labor at 34wks i can just have my baby. Anyone feel me on how this is weird?

Comments

• I think its weird too.
  • Most drs would stop labor at this point if possible correct?
  • well because you are high risk im gonna assume that basically if you do go into labor they are just gonna let it proceed because for the most part your baby can survive in the outside world but may have to be incubated/watched for a little while... where as if you weren't high risk they would stop it because there was no risk to begin with other than laboring early...

however im not a dr. so this is just a guess...
  • I was high risk with my son and went into preterm labor which is ONE of the reasons im high risk.
  • idk... my dr told me that if i went into labor now my baby could survive.. technically she would be early but other than that my baby would be fine... however i dont know the reasons you are high risk but... it sounded like a good reason to me... lol
  • I'm 34 weeks and I feel that this baby is fully cooked:) I don't want her to come early but if she does I don't think it will be a problem. So your doctor might just be saying at 34 weeks we will proceed with labor since baby will be okay outside of the womb.
  • I'm high risk as well and 25wks. My doc stopped checking my cervix as well. They expect my baby to arrive between 30 an 34wks.
  • im.high risk and they want me to wait til 37 weeks if possible to have her because anything before that is preterm
  • My dr said at 34 wks they don't stop labor. I think at that point the lungs are developed and the baby will need less care than if they were born earlier.

I know the special care nursery at my hospital handles babies born at 34 wks and up, earlier than that and the babies are stabilized and transferred to a different hospital.

Before 37 wks is still preterm though.