My Horror story from my first birth! Some things they don't tell you about giving birth. (LONG)

edited July 2011 in Birth Stories
So I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and it's getting close to crunch time, I can't help but think about when my daughter was born just 18 months ago, and how horrible of an experience that it was... so I'm mentally working on preparing myself this time with the knowledge I have.
So when I was 39 weeks 2 days I drank castor oil, when I was only dialated about 1cm, well after having contractions all day I went to the hospital, and they soon admitted me! I was so happy, that was on a Sunday night, that monday morning my doctor came in and broke my water, which really got things moving. The very FIRST contraction that I felt (with real pain) I got my epidural, not even 15 minutes into real labor.. lol and they gave me my catheter. .. (ouch) The nurse checked me at about 12:00PM and I was still sitting pretty at 3cm. My mom lives out of town 19 hours away, and the nurse ASSURED me that I wouldn't have the baby until probably Tuesday morning because my progress was so slow, and I didn't want Pitocin, because I wanted my mom to make it there. My day with my epidural was fairly easy and painless I slept most of the day, at about 2:30 I woke up and felt like literally something was coming out of me. The nurse assured me it had only been 2 hours and I was fine, but I begged her to check me, sure enough I was fully dialated and ready to push.. I couldn't believe it. I was so distraught that my mom wouldn't be able to make it! So when the doctor came in, she asked me to help left my leg up, and I couldn't move... I mean AT ALL. I was numb from my neck down... I couldn't feel or move at all. I hadn't said anything throughout the day because I just assumed that's what an epidural felt like... I couldn't move my arms, or anything. Therefore I couldn't feel enough to push the baby out. They shut off my epidural and let it wear off so I could push. An hour later they checked on me, and I could barely wiggle my toes, and they thought that was enough, so they forced me to push. I pushed for nearly 3 hours, because at the beginning I couldn't feel to push... Finally when the epi wore off completely I was able to feel to push her out... and it was the worse pain I have ever felt in my life. Some people have back contractions, some people feel labor in their legs, I unfortunately had contractions IN MY CHEST. It felt like every time that I pushed I was having a heart attack. I had no clue this was even possible.
So after baby comes, they tell me that I have to pee, because you cant tell when you have to pee after having a baby, and if you don't empty your bladder it can float above the uterus.. explode and kill you.. YES.. something else I had no clue about. So after 4 hours of trying to pee without success, they had to reapply the catheter 3 more times to empty my bladder... it was so flipping painful. They said my trouble was mainly because I had the catheter in SO LONG during the day that it was a bit of shock for my body to pee on its own. Finally Tuesday morning, I was able to urinate some and rid myself of the catheter.
After fully examing the damage to my vagina that my daughter had done, I came to find that it looked like I had a scrotum...that had exploded... lol. My vag was so swollen and butchered, it looked like it had gotten HACKED with a knife....
So that's my story in a nutshell, needless to say I hope to do things differently with this delivery... but honestly I love my daughter so much I guess I would go through it all again just to have her here! I just wish I had known more!

Comments

• I'm terrified now..
  • edited July 2011
    Is it too late to back out if the "beauty" of this whole experience :/ ???

I feel like I should send your vagina flowers....
  • @katiep8610 & @booface It's just nonsense no one tells you that your vag looks like it got blown up by a bomb the first few days!! Also no one told me what an epidural ISN'T supposed to do! I was clueless! There are so many things people DON'T tell you about delivery!
  • Luckily my first delivery was a breeze but now...Jeepers
  • That is horrible! I'm sorry it was like that! Every delivery is different so I'm praying for you. You deserve a great labor this time!!! [-O<
  • Holy sheep shit Batman! Why did I read this? I was just fine, not worried a bit and bam.. TERRIFIED. is your vagina better now lol Omg idk if I can go through labor if they have to 'shut off' my epi!
    Your a strong woman, good luck this time around!
  • Sounds like it wasn't your delivery but the epidural and catheter that gave you problems... Hopefully if you decide to get an epidural with this birth you will know what to look out for and let your nurse know what happened before.
  • The worst part is... the first time I was in the middle of a divorce with my cheating ex-husband, so he wasn't there... This time around, I got back with my highschool sweetheart.. (yes the guy I lost my virginity too) And we are married, so this is his first baby, and he has NO clue what to expect with delivery... I feel terrible for him to have to see it!!!
  • @Kbg10 unfortunately your vagina NEVER looks the same... just being honest... it never goes back to normal... and neither do those ENORMOUS large brown aerolas on the boobies. lol. Before I had my daughter my nips were the size of quarters, NOW and being pregnant again... they are honestly the size of the palm of my hand.. it's disgusting! lol.
    @loveourlittleone I totally agree, I think I got the epidural TOO early, (and he did it wrong) which made me have to have the catheter in too long, which in turn made it harder for me to pee after delivery. this time I am going to try and stick it out longer than 15 minutes. lol.
  • That sounds really scary, I hope something like this doesn't happen to me. I am a bit scared of the epi because I tend to be allergic to medications, I hope and wish you a speedy labor and that this time around you don't have to go thru all that.
  • Omg I'm ruined for life. Lol This will be my last pregnancy! I don't think my body can handle much more of this and I'm just getting ready to turn 19 lol oh well this time is it and ill go all out suffering for my baby boy!
  • Trust me.. you forget everything, after I had my daughter I SWORE I wouldn't have children anymore... and it wasn't but 8 months later and I was pregnant again. :-) I think god just erases it from our memory on purpose. although I'm not sure why now that I'm getting ready to deliver I remember everything like it was yesterday. :(
  • Omg I just almost threw up and passed out....is it too late to change my mind???!!!
  • Omg I had a horror delivery, I knew as soon as I started pushing I wasn't going to be able to. I told the doctor begged her that I just knew I wasn't making any progress and we were going to have to do something else! So after 3 hours of pushing they tried the vacuum to pull him out, that was a freaking nightmare and if you dont have to, don't do it! The damn thing BROKE OFF IN ME ON MY BABY BOYS HEAD.. she pulls out the other half that broke off and says " huh that's never happened before " and no joke, chuckles..Then thy finally decide to do an emergency csection. So I go in and was put to sleep during the csection and he was ok, but where the vacuum broke off the side of his head was completely swelled with blood and sticking out it was awful its a miracle he has had nothing wrong developmental wise.. it was awful. And the worse part it after I get out of recovery, I get taken back to my room, and have a seizure right after. The next 3 days in the hospital I swear I can't remember any of it I was so out of it. I didn't get to feed my baby for the first time change him anything .. it is awful I still cry about it cause I don't have those memories.. :( but the main lesson I learned, and u ladies will know if u are going to be able to push that baby out. Dont do anything you know you can't do. I have to have a scheduled csection this time, my doctor said after everything was done that there was no way I was going to b able to push him out, his shoulders were too broad. But this time I think things are going to be completely different, the only thing that worries me is having another seizure and.not remembering anything again.
  • They didn't cath you after the epidural kicked in?! And thr vagina thing...yeah, it sucks, but it's true. It will take months for it to recover and return to it's normal state.
  • @Lindsey2Bou OMG... that is a horrible story too!!! We are going to scare all these FTM's to death! I am so glad your baby boy was okay though.
    When I was pushing, my doctor was turned watching a basketball game on the tv the ENTIRE TIME... and he just would glance and say.. "oh yeah your doing fine.. " I was begging them to take her by c-section, I tried to tell them I just couldn't do it. I'm glad they didn't use the vacuum though!
  • It should be a good experience. My ex and i were unexperienced couple and he didn't want to back out on our first baby delivery. He saw EVERYTHING and Was telling me how much blood i Was losing. I Was on epidural which Was awesome. He saw the crowning and told me, ruby has HAIR! LOL. HE WAS VERY EXCITED AND WELL HE LOVED THE ACTUAL EXPERIENCE. THEN HE WAS SOO HAPPY, THE IDIOT LEFT ME ALONE WITH THE NURSE WHEN I REALLY NEEDED HIM. HE LIKED HOW I BREAST FED MY DAUGHTER, HE LOVES NATURE. BUT I WAS GLAD THAT HE DIDNT BACK OUT LIKE MOST MEN THAT FAINT ON THE DAMN FLOOR. HAHAHA.
  • @BKE913 yeah they gave me the catheter BEFORE the epidural... go figure, so I got to feel that one too.. stupid hospital.
  • @Moroccanmexicanbaby okay see your a lucky one of few... my husband is FREAKED by "private" things... he literally asked me if I was going to have to breastfeed in front of him. lol... he is SUCH A BABY. I took my bra off yesterday to get in the shower, and there was a wetspot on my bra where I was leaking colostrum, and he freaked and said OMG OMG WHAT IS THAT!!!???? THAT ISN'T MILK!!!??? IS IT????
    I can't wait to see his jaw drop when I deliver this baby... and the placenta! lol.
  • I think that every delivery is different and ladies, just be prepared and stay calm! The lord had blessed us nightmare delivery moms with a second chance for things to go right this time ;;) and they will!!
  • I know @robinlinlee83!! Lol I feel bad now, but I think that we are some of those rare few who are now prepared for anything!! I think we will have amazing delivieries this time!!
  • Lol. Poor man, imagine men going through pregnancies, Darn it! I would be laughing.
  • My husband Was more freaked out on labor videos than the actual thing. So he never likes videos. Lol
  • thats pretty bad.. lol .. but ive heard worse.. myself i had easy labors.. even though i had to be induced both times.. however i never looked at my vag right after..ugh.. but mabey a week later and i thought to myself.. oh good lord i hope that goes back.. lol.. my thing was the after math on my body i wasnt expecting.. the first birth.. the second wasnt so tramatic cause i knew what to expect.. the huge belly you still have when you leave the hospitle.. the rock hard breasts when your milk comes in.. ugh.. and hemroids.. the things we have to go through to have our lil gifts from god.. are horrid but so worth it.. and i can say the second was easier than the first.. and im hoping the third is faster lol.. and i dont have to be induced.. im starting natural methods of labor progression at 36wks.. cause i know it will take at least 4wks for anything to start working on me.. i started at 38 the last time and still had to be induced.. both times.. going ten days over is not ideal.. it stucks.. 10 days seemed like eternity when your as big as a whale.. lol.. or at least feel like you are.. ugh
  • @Lae3 That's what I am most thankful for with my first.. is that I didn't go overdue. I can't imagine how miserable that would be. No matter how much pain with my daughter I was in, I at least got a wonderful gift out of it. I couldn't change that experience for the world!
  • Exactly why I'm not getting an epidural. This is the second story I've heard. And one of my friends said it gives you back pains later on.
  • Wow and I thought my first labor was bad! Ok at 37wks4days my daughter was born in 2000. I was sleeping & woke to pee, rolled over & water broke...3am. Got to the hospital before 4am. Got to the room felt bad & asked for an epi. Got the epi & felt great but a nurse came in & checked me to put a cath in. But I was fully dialated! In 30 mins after the epi. Ok so they don't tell you pushing feels like taking the biggest poop ever!! I was scared to poop on myself! So I guess the pushing wasn't up to par for dr. He ended up giving me an epiosiotomy without telling me! I screaming & she popped out at 7:35 am! Mind you this was less than 40 mins of pushing! So he stitched me up & idk if its his stitchng or hub & me doing the deed less than 2 weeks after birth but the side which got cut isn't like it was or like the other side. I doubt ill need another epiosiotomy after this. Thank God I switched drs & hospitals. I'm planning on having a birth plan wrote up. There's things I want differently this time around!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate the problem really was me... I got the epi too early, which in turn made it to where I had to have the catheter in TOO long, and with the epi making me so entirely numb... I couldn't feel to push, so pushing 3 hours is sure to ruin the looks of your vag. lol.
    This time is going to be different! Because I'm going to do what you told me, and have positive thoughts, and surround myself with positive people, and hopefully wait out getting an epi! lol.