Would it be weird? Need your opinions PLEASE!!!

edited July 2011 in Breastfeeding
I had a baby three weeks ago. He's feeding like a champ, and my milk supply is more than enough. I pump extra and freeze it for when go back to work. My sister just had her baby a week ago. She's a type 1 diabetic and is experiencing complications with breastfeeding. Her OB recommended she stop. I know she is worried about her baby's health, and she's devastated she can't breastfeed him. Would it be weird if I offered her a supply of breast milk to supplement her formula feedings? Obviously it would be pumped. She knows I'm disease-free and up-to-date on my vaccines. Just curious on your opinions...

Comments

• i don't think thats weird. that would be really nice of u tho!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nope not weird at all, a lot of women actually donate milk to those mothers who cant supply it or for premature babies
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't think its weird. I would do so in the same situation, and would want someone to think of me and do that for my baby if I had trouble breastfeeding.
  • I say go for it your sister will probably be relieved!!
  • Thanks for the input, ladies. I guess it won't hurt to offer it to her.
  • I would def offer it but id suggest her switching between milk and formula. I feel like it would add alot of extra pressure to pump enough for your supply and hers :\ it would definitely be a great gift though!
  • People used to nurse other peoples babies all the time. Not weird at all. Milk is milk.
  • Not weird at all there's even places you can donate extra milk its used for babys in the nicu. I wish I had known when I was nursing my son I had a lot of extra if I do this time I'm going to donate it. If you can help family that's wonderful
  • Not at all! Its a lively gesture
  • I think it would be nice of you if your willing to do it :)
  • My mom was a donor to premature babies. She was considered a wet nurse.... a lot the mothers were so thankful for her bc it helped there babies go stronger and healthier quicker. I think its an awesome idea. It wont hurt the baby either. That is an awesome bond you would have with your sisters baby as well!!! I commend you for that!!!
  • @babykixalot go for it gal she'll appreciate it n be really happy :)
  • Go for it is a wonderful thing and I can see how u thought it could be weird but its done all the time and it helps a lot of babies in need.......AGAIN GO FOR IT
  • edited July 2011
    Not weird at all. Wet nursing has been around for thousands of years, it will help nourish her baby. That's a great gift to give her!
  • That's amazing, I think its a great thing to do for your sister! My auntie had a lot of milk and while she recovered from her c-section in hospital she expressed the extra for the special care babies
  • I don't think that is weird at all! I think that is a really wonderful thing for you to do! My sister actually pumps and saves all her extra milk and donates it to hospitals for the preemies and such! I think your sister would really appreciate that!
  • I think its a lovely idea! I donated my milk to the baby icu at my local hospital, there always grateful for it :)
  • @BabyKixALot Not weird at all! :) Go for it. :)
  • Well, I offered it to her... SHE SAID NO! I am kind of disappointed, not to mention a little shocked. I think maybe she is having feelings of inadequacy and me offering to help her in this way may not have helped. I just thought it would take away some anxiety... oh, well. She's his mom and mother knows best. And if she changes her mind, there is plenty of milk in the freezer.
  • @BabyKixALot at least you tried. Maybe she will change her mind once she comes to terms with the BF issue. If youhave an over supply you can always look on theinternet for places that accept Breast milk donations. I am sure in time she will realize what you were offering, not to replace her, but to help her. I think it was a very nice thing to do.
  • That was awesome to offer. I have not been able to urse my babies and I would have taken it if it was me. I'm sure its her feelings about it and nothing against you. You were awesome to offer and it was a gift of liquid gold you were giving. If you were my sis I'd take it in a heartbeat :) you did the right thing.