Ladies that have had a cerclage...updated at bottom

edited August 2011 in High risk pregnancy
I'm just wondering what your experience was like with placing and removing the cerclage. I already know I have a shortened cervix thanks to a conization I had to have done in 2008. I had a pap done about a year later and the doc told me they removed a lot. :/ So far it's still closed, but I already feel pressure and have been since around 8 or 9 weeks. I have an ultrasound on July 5th to check for neural tube defects, so they will check then and if it seems to be a problem, they will schedule my cerclage for around 14 weeks. If not they will check again on July 29th at 16 weeks. I am already mentally prepared for this as I am very sure I will need one, but I don't know anyone who has had one so I'm hoping you ladies can provide some insight. Thanks!

Comments

• Sorry I can't help you. I know there are a few ladies on here that can help! Best of luck with it!!! And ur baby :)
  • @misskristin I have a cerclage. Placed at 17wks. Typically, at 14wks they won't get an accurate cervical length measurement, but more of a baseline measurement. Dont be surprised if you are measuring 4+ at 14wks and then measure less than 3cm the next. This happened to me. I went from a normal measurement at 14wks to 2.2cm at 17wks when I had the cerclage placed. You may be fine if you have only had one procedure to remove cells. I had 3. A cone biopsy and 2 leeps. Ask your docs which type of cerclage you are getting. There are 2 types. I have a shirodkar cerclage, but most docs wont perform this type because its more complicated than a normal purse stitch cerclage. (my docs are trained in both procedures but feel the shirodkar has a better sucess rate.) They go in and stitch the top of the cervix instead of just the outside, stretching it as they go. So they stretched my 2.2cm to 3cm. I'm 25 wks now, have no restrictions and its holding steady at 3cm! I had severe cramping after surgery for a couple of days (by far the most painful surgery on my cervix). But well worth it! I have no doubt in my mind that without the cerclage, baby would have been out by now. Like you, I was feeling tons of pressure. After cerclage, almost no pressure at all! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. And read up on the procedure and the different types to ease your mind. Its great to hear all the success stories! My stitch comes out @ 36wks (around sept 15th). So if you do get stitched, I will let you know how it goes for removal! Best of luck to you.
  • @new_baby_in_oct I had the cone biopsy done while I was pregnant with my son even though I thought that was weird. When I came up positive again for stage 3 & 4 lesions after almost 2 years, they felt it was best to remove the abnormal cells with a cold-knife conization. It was an awful recovery, I bled for days and passed large clots of tissue. About a year after, I went in for my normal pap and cried as she took her sample. I had never had a painful pap in my life and the doc seemed shocked as well. She took the time to look a little closer and was able to tell me that the doctor who had performed the surgery had removed a large portion of my cervix. I just don't want the doc waiting until it's too late as I've already had 2 miscarriages in the last year (not related to my cervix). It scares me to feel pressure and shooting pain as I am barely at the end of my first trimester. When they check on Tuesday, I will be 12 & 1/2 weeks and I already have a second check scheduled for 16 weeks. I just hate not knowing and I don't want to risk it getting too short before they decide I need a stitch.

Were you asleep for yours? I've read that they put some women to sleep, but also can do it will sedation. Personally, sedation doesn't work well for me and it tends to make me sick...which on top of this horrid all day sickness is certainly not something I want to do. I will definitely ask my doctor about the stitch options. Thanks!
  • @misskristin I had my cerclage done at 14 weeks a week and a half ago. I had the same surgery you had for a grade 4 colposcopy. I had a cerclage in 1999 with first pregnancy. They did not put me to sleep only a spinal block. I have been on bedrest since cerclage but mine gets very bad very fast. I can try to help any way I can!

• @Babynewyear2012 Thank you. I appreciate it. How painful is it?
  • I had a cerclage put in at 15 weeks. I am now 26 weeks but due to how short my cervix was my water broke on Friday. I had the one that they sew the bottom of my cervix shut. I had a little pain the day after they put it in but I didn't feel any pressure at all. I was already on bed rest from previous loses so I was not able to b out at stores or anything that requires standing for more then 15mins. I'm in the hospital bc of my water breaking but they said they r not going to remove the cerclage unless I get an infection or go into labor because they think its holding the baby. I hope this helps if you have any more questions I'm. Here
  • @misskristin They gave me a spinal and I could still feel cramping while they were doing the procedure. I think most of the docs do spinals because it doesnt pass through to baby. Sorry you have to go through all of the removal of cells. When I found out I was pregnant this time I also found out I have abnormal glandular cells. (instead of the high grade squamous cells) They have done an ECC early in my pregnancy and biopsy came back benign. More biopsys to follow after delivery, scary!
  • @misskristin It was not painful just strange feeling when he was moving around the cervix. My doctor kept me overnight and gave me a medicine called Endocin which is an anti-inflammatory drug safe for pregnancy. I had some small contractions the next morning but not any real pain. I think all doctors treat patients differntly depending on the situation.
  • I have the cerclage as well at 16wks bck n March I'm now 33wks n haven't had any complications since I had the cerclage I still have atleast 4wks to go b4 I'm full term....does you be put back to sleep fir the moms that had deres removed already??
  • I had my cerclage placed at 20 wks. Once the spinal is done you shouldn't feel any pain, well I didn't. After I did have some cramping and a little bleeding. I'm 33wks and 5 days its been a long road with bedrest and all the hospital visits and stays but its well worth It. Good luck.
  • A quick question...what length was your cervix when the stitch was placed?