Opinions on my baby name ideas

edited January 2011 in Baby names
My husband and I are hoping for a boy. I want to name him either Achilles or Aurelius. So far everyone I've told hates both names. My husband is on the fence with both, but he really doesn't have any names he wants. So what do you think about Achilles or Aurelius?

Comments

• I have no clue how you would pronounce them. Im allllll about unique names and spelling,but in my honest opinion I think those are a little to out there lol
  • edited January 2011
    Well it sounds like u enjoy Greek/ Roman mythology, but try to incorporate without being so literal, for instance.......
    Achilles: Akel or Kial (kyle)
    Aurelius: Rylis or Leeius (lee-us)

Maybe not those specifically, if those aren't your taste, but those just show my point.....

Play with the phonetics, of other Greek names, just be careful not to scare ur kids, girl..... Kids are cruel, always keep that in mind!
  • My sons name is Maximus Aurelius. I get positive comments all the time. I love Aurelius! go for it!
  • How old is ur son if u dont mind me asking, grnfish?
  • Achilles is pronounced Ah-kill-eez and Aurelius is pronounced Awr-a-lee-us (the second a is a hard a). Achilles is a Greek hero from the Iliad who was half god and invincible except for his heel. Aurelius is a Roman name used by emperors. It means "golden". I figure that if kids aren't going to make fun of his name, they would find something else anyway.
  • I like Achilles. I am a fan of unique, strong names. Plus it is a name with plenty of nickname possibilities. I know kids can be cruel but I agree that they will always find something else anyway. I am thinking of Damian but my boyfriend wants Wolfgang. (My name is Victoria too!)
  • I like unique names and its all in what u want. My boy is going be Maximus Oliver it was Alexander for the middle but after my grandfather passed away we picked oliver. Bc it was his middle name.
  • I like the name Oliver a lot. If I find out I'm having a girl I am set on the name Olivia. With no disagreements :)
  • I love unique names and i have always loved tiammi liegh for a girl but my partner hates it I'm gutted and now we found out we are having tiammi liegh is out of the window and we are settled with Emily Kate Reed which i love as well but something always draws me back to first name . . . opinions on both please x
  • @yummymummy11 I have to ask if the pronunciation of tiammi is tia-mee or tee-amee? I think you should both feel confident about the name you decide. Write down a bunch you think would be good and share them n see what you two come up with.

I'm thinking I like Cora for a girl. And her middle name would be our two mothers names mashed together: Lehrri, for Terri and Leah. For a boy I like Nathaniel, and it's been decided we would carry on tradition of his family and have the middle name of a boy be my fiancees first name.
  • Its pronounced tie am eee lol i like cora that's lovely for a girl. thanks for your advice x
  • I think greco-roman names rock! Kids will poke fun anyway, we give our kids two middle names so if they get older, they have more options if they want to be called something else. If youre happy with the name, then don't worry about what others say. We aren't deciding on a name on our next one until it is born. Just going to go into the delivery room with some good ideas, and when we see the baby, the right name will come to us.
  • I love Achilles
  • I love the name olivia for a girl that and lydia I have a name picked out for if I have a girl but I wont tell people bc I kinda combined 2 names and its really unique but I will call her addie if I ever have a girl. For now I can't wait to meet my baby boy!
  • Yay! I'm glad to see that some people like Achilles. I'm considering telling everyone who doesn't like it that I'm the one carrying the baby, so I should be able to give him/her any name I like. My husband's other children have unique names, so he's pretty open-minded about Achilles.
  • I've actually considered the name Olive for a girl :)