Men and Custody

So if both parents are equally fit to have custody how many of you think its wrong for the father to win custody over the mother just because she is the mother?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Not me! The system is way too skewed in the mother's favor right now and it's a ridiculous struggle for a father to get a fair amount of custody.
  • Hmm. That's a tough one..especially if both parents are equally fit. I would think the judge would rule on joint custody. Unless he felt one were more able to provide better for that child?
  • Even in joint custody someone has to be deemed the primary custodial parent. Joint just means the decisions are split 50\50. In our case we were awarded custody of my husbands daughter. And we are being bashed because we got custody. The mom wasn't unfit so the judge had no choice but to make the decision based off of quality of life for his daughter. We weren't the one who filed for custody she was we just wanted visitation which she constantly denied him of. The only reason we got full custody instead of joint is because we lived out of state. Shared custody is too hard to maintain when the primary custodial parent lives out of state.
  • This is true. Well its sad that she was behaving like a little girl when it came to her daughter seeing her own father. But I'm glad that things worked out for the best for the child. Its not like she will NEVER see her mother again, where if custody was never fought for, she probably would have never seen her dad. I don't think anyone has the right to bash him, or you for getting custody. Obviously he/she felt that you guys could provide a better living situation/life/etc. I wouldn't stress over it too much. What's done is done. I just hope the mother doesn't stay bittier for ever.
  • This is true. Well its sad that she was behaving like a little girl when it came to her daughter seeing her own father. But I'm glad that things worked out for the best for the child. Its not like she will NEVER see her mother again, where if custody was never fought for, she probably would have never seen her dad. I don't think anyone has the right to bash him, or you for getting custody. Obviously he/she felt that you guys could provide a better living situation/life/etc. I wouldn't stress over it too much. What's done is done. I just hope the mother doesn't stay bitter for ever.
  • Oh I just read on the census.org website that it is statistically proven a child raised by a father is less likely to be poor and have a better family life.
  • @luvbump Really wow lol.
    It just makes me mad when people tell me I stole someones child and something bad is going to happen to me because of it. I'm like really?? She is his child too.
  • edited July 2011
    Also a child raised in a home of two parents have more of an education and financial advantage. Oh and its because men usually make more $ than women.
  • Well my ex got custody of my daughter just because he had a lawyer and i didn't. And his lawyer really Was determined for me to pay child support. But i Was lucky not to pay, now thanks to our 2nd child, i placed him on child support since he did relinquish his own daughter for a kugar kardashian. Hahahaha. So now i gained custody of our daughter. But i did tell the judge... i want joint custody because i am not facing parenting ALONE. HAHAHAHA
  • That almost happened in our case. Her lawyer quit the day of our first hearing because she didn't pay him. The judge asked us if we wanted to proceed or give her time to get another lawyer. We wanted to make sure the judge understood we were not out to get her so we gave her the opportunity to get another lawyer. But until then since he gave her several months to get one he gave us temporary custody until the new hearing. In the end she still lost though.
  • edited July 2011
    I think it all depends on the father.
    I mean there are some great daddys out there.. But then there are also dead beats who just want custody so they dont have to pay child support.. Thats what happened to me. He lied his butt off in court with a lawyer paid for by his daddy, got custody, abandoned the child with his mother, Picked up a nasty drug habit, Got arrested for dwi, Got arrested for paraphenelia, Got arrested for theft.
    She dealt with alot of bullshit.
    Now shes with me and she is going through therapy. Ibdidnt knowbit was that bad until she would wake up screaming from night terrors about him..and every time she hears a knock she screams please dont let him take me away and hides behind furniture.. She cries if she hears his name. she was traumatized. She is a mommys girl and is attatched to my hip. she ask me all the time why she had to go there? And I dont ever know what to say..
    Its hard because little girls do need their mommys.. Some men are great dads.. But i know me and my daughters have a bond that is like no other...it was really badcause he refused to let me see her..
    So I fear she has abandonnent issues. Her grandmother even recently told me that she would scream she wants to be with me and he would tell her too bad i dont care what you want..
  • Wow that's crazy how long did he have her?