Naming your son after his father... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

edited February 2011 in Baby names
I've always been against naming my son after his father even before I had kids. I've always wanted my child to have his own name so while he was growing up he wouldn't feel pressured to live up to his father's name/legacy. When we had our son last February the whole time we were choosing names he was convinced I'd change my mind but I didn't. The only name we could agree on was Brayden. A couple days ago we were discussing names & he told me that he felt he compromised with our son's name & it was a slap in the face not to carry on the tradition. (My husband is the 5th) I said you knew my view on this before we even started dating so how could you be upset with me? It was wrong of you to believe that you could change my mind just to get what you want. The other thing is my husband has even told me that he doesn't like his name & the only good thing about it is it looks good on paper. I'm not giving my child a name just so he has a better chance of getting a good job or getting into a good school when he's older. He wants a boy this time around just because he thinks he'll get his way. I'm hoping for a girl because then we won't have to think about this issue since this child will be our last. Anybody else having this issue with their other half?

Comments

• Lol my bf is a third n good thing we both agreed heck no we bot naming our son n make hom a fourth cuz he hates being a third n its very confusing like wen we go to his dads house if i say his nane rhey both look lol hope everything works out for u i think everykid should have its own name mayb middle name could be named after someone but other then that yea lol
  • That's how it is at his dad's house & it drives me nuts! His name is Warren so there isn't even a way for me to shorten it so there's less confusion. Even his dad tried to talk to me about it & I was pissed because I was like this is OUR child not yours & your opinion doesn't matter at all. I like the name Brooklyn for a girl & he was like you're not naming my granddaughter that, I was like wait & see! lol
  • I did the same middle name with my first. My father is a fourth... his name is Minor... it stopped with him:P
  • The problem w/ his name is that I don't like the way it sounds w/ most of the names I picked out & if it doesn't flow then it's a no-no!! lol
  • Yea his parents dont care as long as we dont name it nothing ghetto lol my best friends name is brooklyn i love it n its gotta be something u both want he cant just have his way n for grandparents its really not there choice my bfs mom died wen he was young n her middle name happens to be same as mine so if we have a girl we forsure havin the middle name lynn lol but that does suck warren u cant shorten it lol hope he comes around or hope yall have a girl
  • I'm in the same boat. I haven't brought up that I don't want my son to carry his name mostly because I'm prayin its a girl but the way I see it is that the baby carries his last name on. He wouldn't let your son carry on your maiden name "in terms to save your family name" I hate the idea of juniors and so on. Part of the fun is picking names anyway
  • My hubby is a jr and his dad got remarried and named my hubby's lil brother the same name but without the jr?????makes no sense I told my hubby I couldn't name our son after him his name is Ernesto but everyone calls him Nesty when he was lil they called him nestito.so we went wit the middle name Ernesto and he was happy.we are havin our 5th n that has been the only name we agreed on,lol.
  • Hubby says I have no choice so my son will be a third. Kinda a slap in my face since I feel like I went through this alone....again!
  • @missmommy28 I said the same thing about the last name. I have all sisters so our family name ends with my dad but I'm not complaining about it.

@lucky7 That makes no sense that his dad would do that. I feel in a way it's selfish. My husbands name is Warren Jefferson Rodgers & I was like there's no way I'll continue it.

I always wanted girl boy girl & so far I've gotten what I wanted so I hope my luck continues lol.
  • @prettiekittie31 I would remind him that it's a decision you two both have to agree on because ultimately you have the final say since the mother fills out the birth certificate. I think it's rude, selfish & disrespectful for a man to say you have no choice. This is OUR child & I'm carrying it for 9 months & going through labor so you better believe I have a choice in what the name will be. That's what I would say to him.
  • I DON'T WANNA NAME MY SON AFTER HIS DAD...I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT AND HIS NAME ISN'T SO AWFUL...DEWAYNE BUT I WANTED A BETTER NAME THAN THAT
  • My hubby's name is Shane. I actually really like it. If we have a girl, I'd like her middle name to be Shaena or Shae. No Shane Michael Jr tho. I have an awesome name picked out for a boy :D
  • My boyfriend's set on a boy being named after him. He hates every boy name suggestion I've ever made. So I ask him for ideas and all he ever says is Timothy Steven. (His name. -.-) He attempts to compromise saying it needs to at least be something Steven. (But like I said, he's against every name I suggest) But even before I was pregnant I was always set on Joel as a middle name after my dad which would mean so much to me. So I tried suggesting Something Steven-Joel, but no. He also tried claiming the girls name, like I don't have a say in any of it. Luckily I was able to think up a cute one we can both agree on with a middle name that means a lot to him.
  • Lol my brother and dad have the same name. He was first born so got to be Jr. But my dad goes by his midle name, and my brother his first. Its still confusing when they get any oficial mail that goes by your legal name regardless. So really when they get older. I kinda wanted a jr, I adore my husband and thought it would be sweet to have my lil man have his name. He was the one that hates his midle name and didnt want it. I also LOVE unique and different names, and my man is philipino. I have a lot of family in Hawaii, so we went with the Hawaiian version of his name. Ian is irish for John. Keoni is Hawaiian for John, His midle name bernard had no Hawaiian name, but the name Koa had mostly the same meaning. So I got my cool name with a jr twist :)
  • I'm named after my mother. I like my name. But believe me it is hard as hell to keep things st8. My insurance info is constantly messed up. Picking up medication, tickets, receiving mail, all that. I mean deg. ur babe will have his last name to carry on. @starkrayzie. Dad should know its a pain to have to go thru. I mean sheesh dad doesn't understand u want to come up with something thats meaningful to the both of u. Not something thats done 4 other times. maybe u can try to challenge him to come up with something better, or very different. Maybe that could work. (shrugs)
  • We were gonna do a Jr but at last sec we switched so my hubby first name was our first sons middle name...we have two boys and they r both named after our brothers. I have from bros so I mixed their names together to get jovaun...my hubby lil bro passed away when they were young so his name was switched to name our sec son. Thus way both our boys names mean something to us. If this next baby is a boy I told my hubby I was out of boy names...gonna have to b bob LOL
  • I have no problem using a name in memory of someone because I wanted to do that with my grandma's name but due to the effects that her passing had on my mom I decided not to because I believed it would be hard for my mom to hear her name everyday. She passed away 17 years ago, 1 day before my mom's birthday. My mom was so busy making arrangements that she never really grieved her loss. She ended up becoming manic depressive/bi-polar & has been hospitalized numerous times because the depression is so bad.
  • I named my son after his father Walter jay Newbill IV. I pick all the girl names and he picks the boys. I only have one boy so I didn't mind and this one is a girl and its the last one. They call my hubby Tj and my son bj. So I didn't have a problem.
  • Me and my oh have agreed on my dads name and his middle name if its a boy and if its a girl she will be called lexie. I do have to disagree with some of you. It is as much the fathers right to name a child as it is a mothers. Surely you knew about the tradition when you got with him? Just like he knew you didn't want to. Grandparents are wrong for ssuggesting names. They are helping nowt wrong with that.
  • @awamommy Please don't take this the wrong way, this is just my opinion. My thing is if I give my child a name, that's what I want them to go by. I don't want to have to come up with ways to distinguish my husband from my son by using nicknames. What's the point of a child having that name if they don't use it?
  • @Rawksy I'm not saying that my husband doesn't have the same rights I do when it comes to a name but if I don't like the name then I shouldn't have to go along w/ it just because it's been in the family for so long. We were best friends for 2 years before we even thought about dating & we used to talk about it a lot. I don't feel bad for breaking the tradition because it's my right also to agree or disagree on a name.
  • @starkrayzie can you honestly say you dont have a nickname or have never had one? I have nicknames for my niece and nephews. As a child growing up I had a nickname as did all my siblings. I never refer to them by there real names but by there nicknames. Nothing wrong with it. Everyone gets called something else other then there name at some point in there life.
  • That it is I don't mean this badly but it sounds like your not giving him a chance, what about using his name as a middle name? X
  • I'm talking about giving your child a name & then going by something totally different. I don't have anything against nicknames but I call my daughter Jordyn & my son Brayden. I am giving him a chance. We were going to give our son his name as a middle name but HE didn't like the way it sounded so HE chose Alexander. He also was the one that picked out Brayden so he named our son & I liked it so we agreed that's what his name would be.
  • My fiancé doesn't like any names I like he tells his parents you can't go wrong with another brandon or a david. And that is his and his fathers name. I love his family but I can't name my kid after our parents. The middle name is cool but not for the first. I want something that isn't the same as everyone in our family. The girl name we have picked and its cute and different. But nothing for a boy which bugs me a little.
  • @jessi11 I totally understand. I get really annoyed because although my son's name is Brayden everyone on my husband's dad's side of the family still calls him Warren or Little Warren. It drives me insane. Hopefully you guys can come up with a name you both like. I'm just gonna do the only thing I can do & pray for a girl lol!!
  • Mine will be David James if its a boy,
    @starkrayzie now I know full story, I didn't realise he named previous lol. Try both of you writing a list of say 10 names you like giving each other the list and crossing off the ones you hate and play around with what's left. You never know there might be one on there you both hate. :)
  • We've done everything you can think of to try to agree on a boy's name & it just doesn't happen. So like I said I'm gonna do the only thing I can & wish for a girl because if this lil one's a boy then he may just be nameless. We're both really stubborn, hard headed people so that doesn't make it any easier.
  • @Starkaryie~ I'm not taking it anyway kind of way. I'm sayin I didn't mind name one boy after his father my family like that and so is my husband family. And everybody gose by nicknames I do and so do my kids and on government paper his name is Walter Jay Newbill the IV.....
  • Ahh best of luck, sounds like a touchy, keep us updated on the sex and if you eventually agree on a boys name lol xx