C Section-Getting Put To Sleep

edited July 2011 in Third Trimester
If you've had a csection & been put to sleep would you mind sharing your story w/ me? How long before you woke up, how much time did you spend in recovery, how long ddid you wait to see your baby, what were your side effects?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @usmcwifemommy101107 Thanks for sharing. I'm debating between a spinal, epidural & being put out. I've had 2 epidurals before, 1 went horribly wrong & the other was perfect so I'm looking into other options.
  • I was put to sleep because I could feel the doctors cutting me. I'm really not sure how long I was out. I woke up with my mom, my oldest daughter, and my husband holding my newborn baby girl in the recovery room. I remember her being bloody still. They let Jon have her in there until I woke up. I had the option of holding her but I was to groggy and weak and I was afraid I would drop her. I think from the time I woke up until I was put in a room was about 2 hours. It was long enough to get ivy cleaned up and run all the normal tests on her. That was my second c section. The first one I was awake the whole time. The only thing I missed was hearing her cry for the first time. Besides missing out on that being put to sleep wasn't a bad experience. I actually want to be put to sleep with this c section because they are a bit scary. Even though you are not supposed to feel any pain you can still feel the tugging and pulling. Oh, and my husband had to be taken out of the room but besides that it wasn't a bad experience
  • I was awake during my c section. Everything went great. You do feel pressure when they are pulling the baby out, but it doesn't hurt. I'd be more scared being put to sleep.
  • Ive never heard of people being put to sleep unless it was major emergency I don't even think its an option unless previous issues......however with both of mine I was awake for surgery then about 2-5min after they we're born they knocked me out to b closed up n woke up in recovery about half hour to hour later
  • I was knocked out when I had mine but it was an emergency one. I don't remember nothing until the next day. I didn't even get to see my son until then either. I don't ever want another one but if I had to I would be knocked out cause I couldn't handle being awake.
  • I was knocked out when I had mine but it was an emergency one. I don't remember nothing until the next day. I didn't even get to see my son until then either. I don't ever want another one but if I had to I would be knocked out cause I couldn't handle being awake.
  • Sorry didn't mean to post twice, damn phone
  • just had a c sec 3 weeks ago. I was numb from have stomach dwn to legs. I couldnt feel anything, just forcing/pulling.. nooo pain! 5-10 later bby was born. I had staples put on and didnt feel a thing. Throughout the process i heard my dr and nurses talkn and makn jokes and i was talkn with them too!! Hardest part was when they moved me from surgery bed to my reg bed and rolled dwn to recovery rm. DONT LET THEM PUT U COMPLETELY ASLEEP!!
  • my first emergency c section i wa sput to sleep and i dont really remember much of anything,and they took my baby to another hospital nicu so i cant really tell you. sorry i guess i wasnt much help. but it is better to be awake if you can. :)
  • I was put to sleep with my first son but it was a serious emergeny and I was so scared when my second was born I asked to be put to sleep and they refused to saying they only did in true emergeny situations. :( but honestly my second one was not that bad just nerve racking. I don't recommend you being put to sleep because you don't hear and see that sweet moment when your baby enters this world and they say it makes ur baby groggy too. I didn't get to hold my first son until I recovered about 4-6 hours later. Good luck hun with whatever you choose.
  • I had a spinal during my csec. I ended up hemorrhaging which made the procedure last longer. Towards the end it began to wear off. They told me if it wore off before they were finished I would be put to sleep. That scared the crap out of me considering I was bleeding so much. I just dealt with the pain and pressure untill they were finished.
  • I wasn't planning on being put to sleep I was just wondering in case it happened. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with me. I have another thread Spinal Block vs Epidural & after I posted it I wondered what if I have to be put under so I was just curious.