why is my 2 month old criying so0 much o_0

edited July 2011 in Sleep
he never cried so much now he just wants to be held and rock....and wants to eat and ...any advice?

Comments

• ^^ what she said^^ thats usually what happens with little ones.
    you may want to try a soy based formula if youre bottle feeding
  • Aww mama....1) His probably been held alot, and now thatz what he likes and u need to break habbit. 2) maybe he has colics 3) Is he eating enough? Maybe his still hungry, try adding one more ounce to his feedings? Let me know how he does
  • is he gassy try putting him up on your shoulder and patting his little butt while walking around
  • Maybe a growth spit. Some days Ava wants to eat every hour. She wants to be held all the time too. I have to get her in a deep sleep just to lay her down or she cries.
  • The age-old problem of colic in infants may be more a result of a crying reflex than gastrointestinal upset, a California pediatrician told attendees here at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition.

An infant's crying, which can last from minutes to hours, may actually be the result of missing the constant noise and stimulation of the womb, said Harvey Karp, MD, an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of California at Los Angeles Medical School. "This may be the solution to a 3,000-year-old medical mystery of what causes colic."

A new system that involves the five S's — swaddling, side/stomach positioning in the parents' arms, shushing, swinging, and sucking — can calm most crying infants, Dr. Karp said. This activates the baby's calming reflex during the first three to four months of life by mimicking experiences in the uterus.

Most infant crying is not due to an emergency, but the baby's need for attention, he said.

In his theory, infants are evicted from the womb before their "fourth trimester," before they are fully developed, Dr. Karp said. "In many ways, newborns aren't ready for the world at birth and need that fourth trimester for gentle stroking, holding, and shushing."

Past studies have shown that the average infant at six weeks of age cries about 3.5 hours a day, he said. "This results in nursing problems, marital stress, postpartum depression, unnecessary emergency room visits, and shaken baby syndrome.

It has been thought for years that the main cause of colic in infants was due to gastrointestinal problems, but this may not be true, Dr. Karp said. Colic appears to stop after three months and in preterm infants it usually does not begin until two weeks after the due date.

Only about 10% to 15% of cases of colic are caused by milk allergies, Dr. Karp pointed out. While infant acid reflux has been a prime reason cited for colic, a Denver study shows that just one in 50 crying infants in an emergency department had reflux and an Australian study showed only one in 24 crying infants younger than three months had reflux, Dr. Karp cited.

Tightly swaddling a crying infant with its arms down by its side initially may make the crying worse, Dr. Karp warned, but holding the baby on its side and gently jiggling it while supporting the head and neck has an immediate calming influence. Shushing sounds should be added, if necessary, and should be as loud as the infant's crying.

In the womb, fetuses hear a loud whooshing sound — louder than a vacuum cleaner. But after birth, there is silence. "Overstimulation is not nearly as big of a problem as understimulation," Dr. Karp said. "Babies miss the rhythmic, hypnotic sounds and movement."

Infants often fall asleep when nursing or taking a bottle, but parents should wake the infant up a tiny bit when laying the baby down to sleep, Dr. Karp said.

If the five S's are followed, not only will the crying infant stop, but the baby will sleep an extra one to two hours a night, he said.

"If the five S's are done exactly right with just enough vigor, the calming reflex will be turned on and the baby will stop crying," Dr. Karp said. "If a parent can get the baby to stop crying they feel like a million bucks, but if they can't, they feel miserable. Parents need to be taught how to quiet their babies."

Teaching this to parents may be useful, said Karen Miller, MD, an associate professor of pediatrics at Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts. "But more research needs to be done to show the techniques are safe and effective."

Many of the individual techniques have been found to be valid, Dr. Miller said. "It's the whole package that needs further research before it is endorsed."

AAP 2005 National Conference and Exhibition: Selected Short Subjects F 131. Presented Oct. 8, 2005.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yeah, my friend from Germany told me about this...I am going to consider implementing this method this in Sept. when I have my little Aubrie. She told me about the Dr. and where to find the info. Not to say this is def. the issue but just a suggestion...
  • @nicksmommy.... Hows bby doing?
    Ive been prayn for him....
  • Is he breastfed or bottlefed?
  • I would bet he is craving being close & nursing because he's hungry. It's best to feed newborns on demand in the early months, when they aren't capable of overeating. I don't agree with those who say you have to "break" a newborn of the habit of wanting to be held. It's been scientifically proven that you cannot spoil a baby under 6 months old. They need that physical closeness to help them transition into the world from the womb.
    Good luck hun. :) If you need some professional advice, I highly recommend askdrsears.com
  • @everyone thank u for the imput:) I lobe pregly

@Betty much better. I snuggle him up

@beautiful_altar both...
  • Im glad his doing better! :-)
  • My cousin swears by her sleepy wrap
  • He might be sensitive to dairy. My son is breastfed and I had to cut dairy out of my diet. My daughter was formula fed and extreamly colic. I had to give her soy formula which worked wonders.
  • @carriebear
    Thanks for posting that info!
    @nicksmommy
    Glad he's doing better!
  • @vette devil doesn't dr sears rock? Lol

@carriebear very helpfull.

@nicksmommy keep us updated if she is calmed down by more stimulatian and more frequent feedings. Also sling might help you too:)
  • I don't know if this will help since I haven't tried it myself but I read in a parenting magazine that white noises such as hair dryers and vacuums actually soothe fussy babies and stops the crying... according to the experts and parents the white noise mimics the placenta/ wombs sound. There's a lot a people who swear by it. It wouldn't hurt to try it.
  • @vette_devil I agree..I feel like leaving them alone to cry is the worst thing to do..I put myself in their shoes so to speak. If I was upset or lonely I would want someone to comfort me!! Lol
  • @ashthurs ...yes! Dr. Sears is an incredible doctor & father... I am so glad my husband is following in his footsteps in the fathering department! :)

@starrxoxo9 - thank you! =) I always look at it like I've never felt better after crying myself to sleep, so why would my baby?!? I think it is so cruel... how else are they going to tell you they need something? They can't speak, walk, or even pick up their own head! I think it would be horrifying!
  • I got this cloud b sheep that has noises that sooth the baby to sleep. But the great way is have the baby naked to your body _ chest to chest, feeding like that - covering the back of the baby with blanket. This way baby feels you, hears your heartbeat and comforted by your milk.

During the day carrying your baby in a sling and feeding frequently. Newborns can't have schedules. slings allow you to carry out the motion they had in their mother womb so they cry less and feel more comforted. In result of this they develop advanced compare to babies who are not comforted.

@vette_devil so is my husband. I love all of his methods. Especially not letting infant cry out. I know you have tried this method with your daugter and you mentioned she was advanced for her age. I hope it will work for my girl too:)
  • edited July 2011
    i was going to suggest what @carriebear said THE 5 S's i was taught that in my newborn care class they showed us a video of the doctor who started this doing it and then we had to practice it with baby dolls of course.. i am surely going to try it with my daughter when shes born
  • @vette_devil yep I think its traumatizing!
  • @ashthurs = yes, my daughter is very advanced for her age & always has been. I truly believe it's because of the parenting methods we've used with her. She was rolling over both ways by 4 months, walking at 9 months & 1 week, etc. She is 3 now & has many of the capabilites of most average 5-year-olds. Even her pediatrician is impressed, and I have so many people ask if she is a "genius or something?" LOL... no, she was just a high-need baby who had her needs met promptly & was never forced to cry "it" out (whatever "it" is, lol... love that quote!).
    And yes, she got used to being carried frequently, but hey- she's my daughter & the light of my life... I have never understood how so many people view that as an inconveinence! I loved every minute, and looking back, it was so brief! I wish I could live it all over again!... oh, wait!... I get to do it again with this little girl any day now! ;)
  • Vette_devil I'm willing to sacrifice my time and energy to have results like that. I hope I will be as good as you are. I will be seeking your advice in the future:) It is very rare that I come across people who believe in this tecnique. I think mostly they are misinformed about just letting the baby cry. Plus it is too much work for some people.